Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sonicfemme

Claravis, you're a life saver!

I decided to register with acne.org after months, maybe even years of lurking. I've read your stories, thank you all for posting pictures and detailed info and giving people like me an idea of what to expect. With that being said~ I'm taking Claravis 60mg a day for 5 months. I'm 24, and have been getting moderate to severe acne since I was 16.

I am on week 5 now (day 36) and I have definitely gotten some dryness. It's quickly remedied with a good lotion. I use Philosphy/unconditional love for my body because it has olive oil in it and is very soothing and smells amazing. I use Purpose "Redness Reducing with SPF 30" lotion for my face. I have actually noticed it helps ease the redness caused by the Claravis. It's especially useful right now because I walked outside for 20 mins and my skin turned pink. I'm very fair skinned. On the plus side, I LOVE that my face still feels smooth and dry at the end of the day! Usually it's quite oily.

My nose started to bleed a little in the shower at day 10 or so. Now that I'm over a month, the inside of my nose gets painfully dry. Nothing a little Aquaphor won't fix though. Oh and please get yourself Aquaphor before starting. Your lips will crack and feel very raw if you don't. It's seriously a life saver. My hair is a little dry so I try not to wash it or heat style it often as it feels very brittle if I do. Ok so these are the mild side effects, onto more serious ones.

My joints and muscles feel very stiff. I thought it was because of the pilates I was doing but after not doing them for a week I know it's the Claravis. Especially my hips and lower back.

I could handle all of these symptoms, but now it's becoming somewhat of a challenge at work with the FUZZY BRAIN side effects. I am screwing up quite often and I had to explain to my boss why, which was a little embarassing :redface: but he was understanding. So they are going to ease my workload until I'm done with my course.

As for the behavioral effects, I guess I'm a little more sensitive but only today because of that incident at work. I was getting feelings of guilt too around day 21. I didn't do anything to feel guilty about, mind you. I just have to keep my main goal in mind, I know it will be worth it. Though it's not a cake walk. It's better to be prepared for what's to come rather than going into this thinking you're a superhero who won't react the same way everyone else has.

Well I think I've written enough for now, I will probably post another update in the next two weeks. Good luck everyone!

p.s. I've uploaded some pics to my gallery to show the improvement, there are virtually no pimples already. I love this stuff.

I just got done with my 3rd month. Im waiting till im done to post a miracle thread.

All I can say is ive been close to 100% clear, even redmarks and all somehow plenty of times within the 3rd month.

Bein dumb, I messed (picked/squeezed) at tiny inflamations that werent even noticable on my redmarks, and im dealing with a little bit of a mess again.

They werent really pimples, some wierd inflamations (im guessing they would have been huge problem areas if i wasnt on tane).

All I can say once ur done with 2 months its all downhill. Once u get the feel of CONTROL on ur Acne, its truly the best feeling. I was at the point where I was like wow, I seriously can eat what I want, sleep how I want, rub dirt on my face, or w.e. I wasnt worried about getting pimples the next day or the next like usual.

Good luck! its worked wonders so far. I just hope I get back to that stage soon, I'm an idiot picker.

I was at the point where I was like wow, I seriously can eat what I want, sleep how I want, rub dirt on my face, or w.e. I wasnt worried about getting pimples the next day or the next like usual.

This is what I can't wait for! Eating what I want, *sighs*.

Before going on accutane I had gotten my diet down to whole grains, vegetables, and fruits and I was still breaking out like crazy. So I started thinking, "Maybe it's the sugar in the fruit, I should cut out fruit," then I looked over at my clear-skinned sister eating a Snickers bar for dinner and I just thought, "Enough is enough."

It's good to hear about your progress, thug. I can't wait to hear about your overall improvement once you finish your course!

I just got done with my 3rd month. Im waiting till im done to post a miracle thread.

All I can say is ive been close to 100% clear, even redmarks and all somehow plenty of times within the 3rd month.

Bein dumb, I messed (picked/squeezed) at tiny inflamations that werent even noticable on my redmarks, and im dealing with a little bit of a mess again.

They werent really pimples, some wierd inflamations (im guessing they would have been huge problem areas if i wasnt on tane).

All I can say once ur done with 2 months its all downhill. Once u get the feel of CONTROL on ur Acne, its truly the best feeling. I was at the point where I was like wow, I seriously can eat what I want, sleep how I want, rub dirt on my face, or w.e. I wasnt worried about getting pimples the next day or the next like usual.

Good luck! its worked wonders so far. I just hope I get back to that stage soon, I'm an idiot picker.

I think we're all guilty of picking, it's so hard to avoid! But it sucks because when you're on tane, they can scar more easily. It sounds like you're almost there :dance: How long is your course for?

It would be cool if you could update us sooner than two weeks. Good luck on your course.

Ok so last time I updated was 7 days ago. Not much has changed, I have a couple zits which is kind of annoying because as soon as you think you're clear *poof* there are new ones.

I got a new facial cleanser which I like better than cetaphil. It's called Loreal age perfect, cream cleanser for aged skin. It is very soothing and has petroleum in it which prevents those annoying

flakes. Despite cetaphil being gentle, it did nothing to replenish moisture. I just use a wash cloth to gently exfoliate the flaky areas. Be careful when doing this, the skin turns red very easily.

I'm still noticing blackheads just magically falling out when I wash my face, which is freakin' awesome! I've had them since...I don't know when.

It's starting to get a little difficult not drinking when I'm with my friends. They don't understand

the potency of this drug, so usually I end up leaving early or not going out at all. Just 3 1/2 months to go! :doh:

It's starting to get a little difficult not drinking when I'm with my friends. They don't understand

the potency of this drug, so usually I end up leaving early or not going out at all. Just 3 1/2 months to go! :doh:

Wait- Where did you get the idea that you could not drink at all during your course?

Let me say, I really respect the way you are prioritizing your health over social temptation, but i'm not sure that the two are quite as mutually exclusive as you may believe them to be.

I just completed a 5 month course of claravis myself, and at no point prior to its onset did my dermatologist attempt to dissuade me from consuming alcohol. When I brought the subject to his attention, he shrugged and gave a, "just don't over do it" type of comment. As a result, I drank fairly regularly (as in Friday + Saturday nights), and never experienced a problem.

However, I should note that I did make a conscious effort to tone it done a notch while on accutane, and not get excessively intoxicated- though i probably blurred that line a lot.

Anyways though, I don't say this to be an advocate for irresponsibility.... I just don't want to see you suffer through a depressingly lame 6 months unnecessarily. If you feel like indulging from time to time, just start slow and listen to your body. If on the other hand you are choosing to err on the side of caution, that is really admirable. Either way i wish you the best of luck!

Wait- Where did you get the idea that you could not drink at all during your course?

It actually says "Do not drink alcohol with this medicine" on my prescription label.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been feeling dehydrated lately and I get that hungover feeling in the morning even if I don't drink, so I guess everyone is different. You must have a liver made of steel :cool:

I was actually really bummed out about not being able to properly celebrate my bday

coming up in a week but...maybe I'll sneak a few and just drink a ton of water. :shifty:

It actually says "Do not drink alcohol with this medicine" on my prescription label.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been feeling dehydrated lately and I get that hungover feeling in the morning even if I don't drink, so I guess everyone is different. You must have a liver made of steel :cool:

I was actually really bummed out about not being able to properly celebrate my bday

coming up in a week but...maybe I'll sneak a few and just drink a ton of water. :shifty:

That is really odd... I don't recall my claravis label making reference to alcohol- if i had i probably would have approached things differently.

To be honest, my original intention was to abstain from alcohol as much as possible for the duration of the course. Inevitably though, things would come up socially placing me in a position where I would be expected to drink (i didn't feel like telling people i was on accutane). Then as the course progressed and my skin started to get better, it was much more fun going out, which thus led to more drinking. Since I was doing fine with my blood work, I just kept on.

The fact you are feeling hungover or whatever in the morning though sucks. I had it similar early on, but it seemed to me that after a period of time (maybe a month or two) my body got more tolerant of accutane.

Ok it's day 49 and my skin is getting more sensitive. I get that flushing thing a lot which is annoying.

I hate looking like I'm blushing for no good reason. It also seems like my skin doesn't like certain materials anymore, like nylon. I just broke out in rashes from it but as soon as I put lotion on it went away. It's still affecting my mood, I'm aware when I'm taking things too personally but I can't do anything to rationalize. I don't know if its the 'tane, but it also seems like my cramps are almost non-existent now. Usually I have to keep popping advil but I don't need any now. I'm feeling more tired, I could sleep 12 hours and it still wouldn't be enough. Everyday this week I've fallen asleep around 9:30pm and wake up around 7:30. This means I've fallen asleep without washing my makeup off so that sort of defeats the purpose of taking this medication in the first place lol. I got three little ones on my right cheek and a few blackheads in the usual problem area on my chin.

I'm just praying they don't break out into ugly zits when I go on my trip to Japan in a week. And tomorrow is my bday and there will be a good amount of drinking, hopefully I can remember to drink water too. That's all for now~

Day 57 (August 1st)

Ok this sucks, my chin broke out like I was wishing it wouldn't :wall: I guess I have been extra stressed this week at work and with my upcoming trip to japan.

There are like 5 zits on my chin...ya can't hide that on the 'tane because make up just makes it look more flaky. BUT - it could be worse. I'm still happy about not having oily skin and there are still no blackheads on my nose.

My hair is still dry but I'm using this awesome leave in conditioner called "It's a 10"

It prevents breakage, dryness and provides heat protection.

I'm just trying to get as much sleep and hydration as possible. I probably won't be updating until maybe August 15th? So hopefully it will clear up a bit by then.