Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blizzywizzy

Dan's Regimen Causing Wrinkles?

Hi, I'm 17 years old and I started using the full acne.org regimen products and i started developing major wrinkles on my forehead. My brother who uses it also has quite defined wrinkles on his forehead while my sister who is 18 uses different acne medicine and does not have a mark on her forehead from wrinkles.

I have noticed that I only started getting wrinkles after i started this and other people have noticed as well... I don't smoke cigarettes, do drugs or anything, neither does my brother.

Am i doing something wrong? Does anyone else have these problems? Are these wrinkles permanent?

It's just a result of dry skin. BP dries your skin out like crazy. I am 26 and use Duac (which has BP in it) and noticed how "old" my skin was starting to look. It is just the dry skin and is not a permanent thing. Try moisturizing more (add jojoba oil...it helped with the "old" look of my skin) and also try not to get it too close to the area around your eyes. This is where you show your age most and you don't wan to get that area too dry with the BP. But you are so young so I wouldn't worry anyway!

Dan's moisturizer already has jojoba oil in it, try adding just a dab of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (that’s the ‘secret weapon’ in my own moisturizer formula)… EVOO is HIGHLY moisturizing, I’m sure that you will love it. Just use a tiny bit though, like two and a half tsp. per 8 oz bottle. And you would probably only want to use it at night, it's not greasy or anything, but it's not as readily absorbed as jojoba.

i was considering buying dans bp lotion but after i research it i found out how bad it is

i would not put this stuff on my skin

Benzoyl peroxide is one of the most effective treatments for acne but it ages skin badly

Peroxides are unstable compounds of water and oxygen. It breaks down under heat and light. As it breaks down, the oxygen free radical is generated and let loose on the skin. These free oxygen radicals are what kill the acne bacteria. It also dries the skin out too, sometimes very badly.

So if you are wondering about all the Anti-oxidant supplements that people are taking nowadays, then you are also probably beginning to wonder why you are using a Pro-oxidant to treat acne on your skin, and on your face of all places. Without anti-oxidants to stop the chemical process, the free oxygen radicals start a cascade of chemical reactions on your skin. Destabilizing skin membrane and the the epidermal layer in general.

so it can clear up acne but...will cause faster aging as you have noticed

how bad is your acne? ifs it's minor you should try stopping the bp (or just use it to spot treat) and just use Dans AHA after cleansing- I will be ordering the AHA

AHA will help with wrinkles and scars/redness/acne due to glycolic acid by exfoliating the skin although it takes some time to notice a difference

to prevent further wrinkling always apply extra moisturizer + apply jojoba oil or add it to your moisturizer

apply sunscreen if your going to be outside more than 5 or 10 minutes

thanks alot chris! very helpful information... i thought dan said it was completely harmless...

it is totally harmless, read the faq's on this site about bp using the blue tabs above. At most, it will give you uncomfortable dry skin, which is easily fixed with moisturizer, aha, and/or, a gentle exfoliation method. What you're experiencing is wrinkling which basically doesn't amount to permanent wrinkles, and is really a result of ur facial movements leaving an impression on the dry skin around your eyes. My suggestion would be to get a thicker moisturizer for your eye area, or some jojoba oil directly on the eye skin. Try not to get the BP too close to the eye area, in fact, avoid the eye area completely! If it's still uncomfortable for you, try to cut back a little on the bp for about 2 weeks and see how that goes. If you decide that bp is just not for you, try using dan's sal acid, along with a nightly AHA+.

P.S. Please don't give in to people fear-mongering about BP. They're claims are backed by erroneous, and faulty studies, none of which has proven conclusively the side effects of bp. Again, it's not the greatest thing (the greatest would be to not have acne!), but I would'nt be worried at all. Dan takes a great deal of care to make sure that his products are safe for your skin and effective in treating acne.

Sorry for the rant, I just hate when people bash any type of Acne Treatment method because they don't know all the facts

And if you want to see the long-term effects of BP, just look at Dan's skin (I would say it's youthful and radiant!), he's been doing the regimen for a long time..........

being acne free is the best thing, your wrinkles might be not as bad as you think

or might go away with proper moisturizer.... let us know

dry skin makes skin appear aged

so it could just be overly drying

Dans skin does look great no signs of aging...

so i really don't no who to believe- I'm trying to figure this out myself just by searching the internet

both sides are convincing...

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#wrinkles

http://www.highonhealth.org/do-not-use-ben...reat-your-acne/

where is dan's sal acid- is this one of his recommended products?

being acne free is the best thing, your wrinkles might be not as bad as you think

or might go away with proper moisturizer.... let us know

dry skin makes skin appear aged

so it could just be overly drying

Dans skin does look great no signs of aging...

so i really don't no who to believe- I'm trying to figure this out myself just by searching the internet

both sides are convincing...

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#wrinkles

http://www.highonhealth.org/do-not-use-ben...reat-your-acne/

where is dan's sal acid- is this one of his recommended products?

the sal acid is on danielkern.com - if you scorll to the bottom you will see a yellow smiley face thing asking if you'd like to participate in a beta trial. that will take u to the sal acid page. Sal acid is more effective for non-inflamed (blackheads, plugged pores) acne and helps to exfoliate the inside of the pore.

Side Note - I read the accompanying article with the foreboding warning about BP. It was kind of a slap to acne.org (they mentioned the site by name!). I'm glad Fran found something that works for her and other people, but that was just mean. BP doesn't work for everyone, but it works for a lot of people. She mentions that you need to treat the source of acne and not the symptom, but for some of us, the source is genetic - what are we supposed to do about that? She goes on to say that antibiotics would somehow be safer than using BP (I guess she doesn't know about antibiotic resistance that builds after years of use thus rendering treatment ineffective). She referenced a study that "linked" bp (if cancer were this easy to figure out, we would have a cure). People should just decide for themselves what route they want to take. Dan's regimen doesn't work for ALL types of acne, but for many people on these forum, it has given them the gift of clear skin. Although I don't agree with Fran's views on BP, I liked the article, but from a Journalist point of view, I say she should have researched her claims more thoroughly and removed the emotional aspect from the issue.

Get the info from the source - Talk to a dermatologist about your concerns and decide for yourself what your best course of treatment is. It all depends on what type of acne you have!

Good Luck

The wrinkles you're experiencing are most likely temporary because of the drying affect of BP. However there are a couple of articles I've read online (google it up sometime) where there are concerns of long term BP use causing premature wrinkles. Of course "long term" being the key word here, and at the amount that Dan's regimen requires I would probably guess it would definitely apply to us. I can't imagine slathering that much BP on our faces for 20+ years is gonna make our skin look younger than it would if we didn't. I would assume the opposite is true.

I doubt you're doing anything wrong, but I'm guessing your skin is reacting in a negative way to the side affects of BP. When I use BP, I never get wrinkles like the one you're talking about, but no two skin reacts alike. Since your siblings are getting the same reaction, it must be family genetics; that's common (that's why doctors ask you about your parents/grandparents medical history, etc).

My recommendations for reducing the affects of BP is to maybe, when your skin clears up, lessen the use of BP and use other products instead. AHA (Glycolic Acid) really makes my skin soft and supple again. Glycolic Acid is basically like a cream-based exfoliate that you apply on your skin, it's considered to be one of the safest ingredients around and are derivatives of the sugar-cane; though they can be produced synthetically. Most people use strong concentrations of AHA (Glycolic Acid) as a skin peeling agent. A good amount of AHA for everyday use is 8% or less. I recommend the Walgreen's brand, it's a 5.6% concentration, it's cheap, and I love it. Check out the reviews for it at makeup alley: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showrev...8/0/Treatments/

Try a combination approach by using 2.5% BP one day, 2% BHA the next, 8% AHA the third day, and moisturize every night. Just switch products around and find the best combination. I find that my acne goes away faster when I eat the right foods, drink plenty of water, and use a combination of treatments along with moisturizing as if it was the end of the world.

When using any topicals on your face ALWAYS WEAR SUNSCREEN. When you're putting your skin through all kinds of treatments, it makes it more prone to UVA and UVB damage so always wear sunscreen! If you don't want to wrinkle any faster, wear sunscreen with high UVA and UVB protection. You should be wearing sunscreen all the time anyway.

My personal recommendation is to watch your diet, eat foods that don't exacerbate existing acne, take vitamins that are good for your skin and use a combination of topical therapies on your face. Ultimately though your goal should be to come to a point where you won't need to use as much topical agents. So if getting yourself on a healthy skin meal-plan meant you would use less money and spend less time dealing topical products, then that's a good goal to achieve.

Oh and in regards to Meow Meow Hiss's comment about "BP fear mongering" my only comment is that it's better to be well-informed about ALL sides of the argument and not just 'one'. It's not fear mongering, it's just more information than what is present on this 'one' website. Listen to all sides of the argument in regards to BP, use BP for yourself, assess the affect of BP to your skin and draw your own conclusions... ignorance is bliss yes, but bliss isn't always good especially if it's short lived. We want you to be blissful eternally, in regards to your health and skin whether you're 17 or 70 =)

thanks alot chris! very helpful information... i thought dan said it was completely harmless...

it is totally harmless, read the faq's on this site about bp using the blue tabs above. At most, it will give you uncomfortable dry skin, which is easily fixed with moisturizer, aha, and/or, a gentle exfoliation method. What you're experiencing is wrinkling which basically doesn't amount to permanent wrinkles, and is really a result of ur facial movements leaving an impression on the dry skin around your eyes. My suggestion would be to get a thicker moisturizer for your eye area, or some jojoba oil directly on the eye skin. Try not to get the BP too close to the eye area, in fact, avoid the eye area completely! If it's still uncomfortable for you, try to cut back a little on the bp for about 2 weeks and see how that goes. If you decide that bp is just not for you, try using dan's sal acid, along with a nightly AHA+.

P.S. Please don't give in to people fear-mongering about BP. They're claims are backed by erroneous, and faulty studies, none of which has proven conclusively the side effects of bp. Again, it's not the greatest thing (the greatest would be to not have acne!), but I would'nt be worried at all. Dan takes a great deal of care to make sure that his products are safe for your skin and effective in treating acne.

Sorry for the rant, I just hate when people bash any type of Acne Treatment method because they don't know all the facts

And if you want to see the long-term effects of BP, just look at Dan's skin (I would say it's youthful and radiant!), he's been doing the regimen for a long time..........

You cannot make the claim that BP is totally harmless because studies have been inconclusive. It's safety is unknown and the FDA raised it's rating from a 1 (safe) to a 3 (Safety unknown) because studies showed that it promoted tumors in lab mice. However, I don't think they have found any real connections with people getting tumors. It also HAS beep proven to be a free radical forming agent, so it causes free radicals in your skin which DOES promote premature aging - which, I assume MIGHT be able to be combated with a good moisturizer. When using it, it also slows the skin's healing time, so those nasty spots might stick around slightly longer.

I, however, think that a few wrinkles are far less to worry about than acne. Haven't started the regimen yet, but it's on it's way!

But I do know the risks of using the stuff and would hardly tell people it's the most harmless treatment available because it isn't. Oh, and in the FAQ, some of Dan's sources are a little outdated. They raised the rating from 1 to 3 in 1995 and the article that states it is harmless is from 1990. I have done a considerable amount of research that all say the same things. It promotes tumors in mice, causes free radicals, ages the skin and slows healing.

You cannot make the claim that BP is totally harmless because studies have been inconclusive. It's safety is unknown and the FDA raised it's rating from a 1 (safe) to a 3 (Safety unknown) because studies showed that it promoted tumors in lab mice. However, I don't think they have found any real connections with people getting tumors. It also HAS beep proven to be a free radical forming agent, so it causes free radicals in your skin which DOES promote premature aging - which, I assume MIGHT be able to be combated with a good moisturizer. When using it, it also slows the skin's healing time, so those nasty spots might stick around slightly longer.

I, however, think that a few wrinkles are far less to worry about than acne. Haven't started the regimen yet, but it's on it's way!

But I do know the risks of using the stuff and would hardly tell people it's the most harmless treatment available because it isn't. Oh, and in the FAQ, some of Dan's sources are a little outdated. They raised the rating from 1 to 3 in 1995 and the article that states it is harmless is from 1990. I have done a considerable amount of research that all say the same things. It promotes tumors in mice, causes free radicals, ages the skin and slows healing.

Yeah. I wouldn't worry too much about the cancer thing though. Almost everything causes cancer now, so all this paranoia is really unnecessary. Personally, I feel that looking better when I'm young and having a slightly higher chance of getting cancer when I'm old is better than looking like shit when I'm young and having a lower chance of getting cancer when I'm old.

If I die, I just decrease the amount of time I will spend staring blankly at the TV, looking like crud and nagging at my grandchildren. Quite worth it. No offence intended if there are any elders here. :dance:

You only live once, after all.

Regarding the wrinkle thing, it is due to the free radicals being released. BP releases free radicals(oxygen) which oxidises bacteria, killing it. Free radicals are responsible for premature aging, wrinkles, saggy skin, etc etc. You can try using antioxidants(dunno about this cause I don't use it) or AHAs. Don't take my word for it though.

10$ says you don't have one reliable source.

If you do, post each one. :snooty:

i was considering buying dans bp lotion but after i research it i found out how bad it is

Benzoyl peroxide is one of the most effective treatments for acne but it ages skin badly

Peroxides are unstable compounds of water and oxygen. It breaks down under heat and light. As it breaks down, the oxygen free radical is generated and let loose on the skin. These free oxygen radicals are what kill the acne bacteria. It also dries the skin out too, sometimes very badly.

So if you are wondering about all the Anti-oxidant supplements that people are taking nowadays, then you are also probably beginning to wonder why you are using a Pro-oxidant to treat acne on your skin, and on your face of all places. Without anti-oxidants to stop the chemical process, the free oxygen radicals start a cascade of chemical reactions on your skin. Destabilizing skin membrane and the the epidermal layer in general.

how bad is your acne? ifs it's minor you should try stopping the bp (or just use it to spot treat) and just use Dans AHA after cleansing- I will be ordering the AHA

AHA will help with wrinkles and scars/redness/acne due to glycolic acid by exfoliating the skin although it takes some time to notice a difference

to prevent further wrinkling always apply extra moisturizer + apply jojoba oil or add it to your moisturizer

are you sure its the free radicals that kill the bacteria? i thought it was just the fact that the bacteria cannot survive in aerobic conditions and the BP releases oxygen into the skin or something

are you sure its the free radicals that kill the bacteria? i thought it was just the fact that the bacteria cannot survive in aerobic conditions and the BP releases oxygen into the skin or something

im all for having different views of bp, when and if you have correct and verifiable information. I'm a journalism student, believe me I know all about what is and what is not verifiable information! Most everything that I do involves quantifying and qualifying information that I dig up and I always come up short in what I can use in a piece because the evidence is faulty and/or erroneous. I can also tell you there is not simple link to a product of any kind and cancer. It takes years and years of research (not just a handful of studies) to find a causation between cancer and a product. Now if you choose to take a holistic approach to acne, you are more than welcome to, but be informed about "natural" products whose ingredients have been derived from natural sources through the use of chemical extractors. Somehow that doesn't seem so natural. BP is a man-made product, and with anything man-made or otherwise it comes with it's risks.if you really want to know more about bp I encourage people to go beyond a simple google search, beyond this site, and really seek information from the source, from people who know what they're talking about ie. dermatologists, chemists, biologists and oncologists. People get shamed enough in life for having acne, let's not continue to throw shame on people who have found that BP has made a difference in their skin and thus their lives.

Free radicals aren't necessarily a good thing.

didn't say they were... i look to dan's skin. 10+ years on the regimen and skin looks great. probably because he incorporates aha which i will be doing as soon as I can find alpha hydrox in a local drugstore.