Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest missyjean130

20% salicylic acid peels

Guest missyjean130

Okay so I bought a professional 20% Salicylic Acid peel from amazon.com to basically keep my pores in check and see what it does to fade red marks.

I chose Salicylic acid because it doesn't penetrate too deeply and neutralizes itself in around 8-10 minutes,I like that aspect for safety reasons.

On normal days I've used Apple Cider Vinegar,which has helped tremendously,but now I need something to really finish the job.So I've decided to start off with using this peel solution once a week for 3 minutes and slowly work my way up. I don't plan on using it more than once or twice a week for safety reasons. I also use a very good spf and stay in the shade =)

Day one: As soon as I applied this solution it felt very warm against my skin,like one of those heating facial masks! It felt kind of good actually. Around the two minute mark there was some slight tingling and by the third minute my tingling wasn't painful but had increased so I figured I'd just wash it off.

I had to use warm water since our bathroom doesn't have cold water (and you're suppose to use cold water). It started burning as soon as a started splashing my face but not anything intense. I splashed the water on my face for a good minute =)

My cheeks were a very pale pinkish color that lasted about 5 minutes. It didn't completely dry me out but it is a good idea to have a good moisturizer ready. I used my Olay cream this time but I plan on slathering my face with aloe vera for next time.

Obviously I didn't see a huge difference in my skin after the first peel but I did notice my blackheads surfaced a tiny bit and I actually popped one out .Didn't want to mess with my face at this point anymore though.

I took accutane about 6-7 months ago and it cleared me pretty well. I still get zits every now and then but they're only on the surface and not deeply embedded anymore. I have blackheads on my nose but they're really tiny in comparison to my face pre-tane.I'm also still oily,just significantly less so. It helped a lot but you can't expect to not get occasional zits when you're off it,so I think it's still important to treat your skin well.

Further down the road I might do stronger peels.But for now I'll just update this thread if there's any changes with the Salicylic acid.

Hey okay here is my story, my skin was pretty much flawless, no acne till maybe a few weeks back, but i still dont have acne thank God..i had an outburst of around 2 cyst pimples on my left cheek and around 3-4 cyst pimples on right cheek..i used tea tree oil from body shop and it kinda messed up my right side pimple cuz i think i went overboard.

but anyways, so i went to my dermo and she gave me the DLC spot therapy which has only 2% salycylic acid and i was excited about it..but i used it on my blemish on my left cheek for twice a day for 2 days and like it wasnt peeling and my blemish became learger cuz there was a red rough patch on my cheek..i was too scared to continue using it, and the patch is still there..

ive been exfolitaing with a gentle scrub and aplying honey but im wondering if i should keep using that gel, but is always spreads around making my patch bigger!

also i guess that rough patch is dead skin? so any quick way to get rid of it a couple of days since im going to be travelling out of town?

plz help!

oh and also applying honey with rose water on my red marks has REALLY helped my 2-3 other blemishes! i just wished my dermo didnt give me this gel, cuz im pretty sure that patch would not have been there and my blemish would be lighter...

im thinking to use baking powder as a scrub but im scared since i have super sensitive and dry skin..ne help?

also u think ACV helps? cuz i hear it makes ur red marks redder and i dont want to risk nnetin since im going out of town in a few days!

Guest missyjean130
Hey okay here is my story, my skin was pretty much flawless, no acne till maybe a few weeks back, but i still dont have acne thank God..i had an outburst of around 2 cyst pimples on my left cheek and around 3-4 cyst pimples on right cheek..i used tea tree oil from body shop and it kinda messed up my right side pimple cuz i think i went overboard.

but anyways, so i went to my dermo and she gave me the DLC spot therapy which has only 2% salycylic acid and i was excited about it..but i used it on my blemish on my left cheek for twice a day for 2 days and like it wasnt peeling and my blemish became learger cuz there was a red rough patch on my cheek..i was too scared to continue using it, and the patch is still there..

ive been exfolitaing with a gentle scrub and aplying honey but im wondering if i should keep using that gel, but is always spreads around making my patch bigger!

also i guess that rough patch is dead skin? so any quick way to get rid of it a couple of days since im going to be travelling out of town?

plz help!

oh and also applying honey with rose water on my red marks has REALLY helped my 2-3 other blemishes! i just wished my dermo didnt give me this gel, cuz im pretty sure that patch would not have been there and my blemish would be lighter...

im thinking to use baking powder as a scrub but im scared since i have super sensitive and dry skin..ne help?

also u think ACV helps? cuz i hear it makes ur red marks redder and i dont want to risk nnetin since im going out of town in a few days!

Um,well cysts usually leave ugly ass redmarks or denting,it might not have been the gel's fault. You might want to use an actual moisturizer alongside the gel...however,if you suspect the gel is ruining your skin,stop using it.

Baking soda is extremely harsh,and it sounds like your skin is already irritated. Plus,I've used it before,and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone...it sucks.

ACV,and any other peel for that matter, CAN make your redmarks redder before they start to fade. When I was doing regularize dermo peels she said this is normal,but didn't explain why. Sure enough,they got redder before they started showing any signs of fading. I didn't have this issue with ACV though.

I think your main priority is letting those patches heal though, slap some petroleum jelly,neosporin,aloe vera...whatever you want to use on those patches...because they need to heal. A lot of acne treatments say not to use on broken skin. Just apply the treatment on unbroken parts of your skin.

Guest missyjean130

Week 2:

It's been a full week since my last peel so I did another tonight! I went for the full on 10 minutes this time,because my skin wasn't feeling anything terrible. My entire face is pink even 20 minutes after the peel,it's just starting to reduce. So I think next time I'll just do 5 minutes :)

Once again,no major changes since this is my 2nd peel...but my pores do *seem* a lot cleaner.

My boyfriend stubbornly insisted to use the peel tonight as well for 5 minutes,he had much larger blackheads than me...and more of 'em...and a few of them on the side of his nose started to surface! That was really cool...he still has a long way to go for clean pores though.

No change in red marks,which was my main priority.

Guest missyjean130

Week 3:

3rd time using the peel was last night. I did it for 10 minutes again. I think my red marks faded around the edges,like,reduced in circumference slightly. Maybe it's just my hopefulness,but my red marks do seem softened

I've been using my vitamin c serum after,may face wasn't really dry after after I used the peel. The first time my face was really dry,but that maybe because I washed my face twice to get off makeup,haha.

Anyways,I love the acid+ vitamin c serum combo. Supposedly peels allows the stuff to absorb better,and vitamin c is great for healing.

Nobody really replies to my red mark log =(

but can anyone tell me what peel I should move up to after the 20% salicylic acid? 20% is the highest I found of this acid type. I was thinking of going on to glycolic acid (unless someone recommends otherwise) but am clueless to what percentage I should use. I can only have a 24 hour downtime currently,too. Maybe 3 day downtime every once in a while lol.

I'm not sure if you should up the % just yet.The furthest I've gone is 2% SA in a liquid form... I've heard something about how higher levels can result in something bad (sorry I don't have more "in depth" information than that!)

Definately keep us updated, I wouldn't mine trying out an SA peel since my skin seems to really like salicylic acid.

I think I may have responded to another one of your posts but just wanted to add cuz I was reading this one too :-) new to the boards but I am a licensed esthetician with an extra license in chemical peels so I am very familiar with the solutions and how they should be applied etc. so if you have some other questions feel free to ask. i am really passionate about trying to help people with their scarring, I used to have some pretty nasty one's myself (ugh and no wI am breaking out again dang it...stress)