Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dani12

Soy Milk/no dairy and Acne

I figured I would post about this since it caused me so many problems a little over a year ago. I started drinking a lot of soy milk thinking it would be far more healthy than skim milk. Then, my acne started to become awful. It remained in that awful state for months and months...and months.

So then, I went to a month long camp. During that month, I ate the same type of meals as I normally ate, however I did not have access to soymilk. I drank skim for that entire time.

When I arrived home, my skin had improved drastically. I went back to my normal diet, which at the time, included soymilk. In about one week my skin was back to the acne mess it was before camp.. I thought about what I did differently during the camp, and the only thing different was the milk.

I stopped drinking soymilk and my skin has remained okay ever since.

I'm just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience with soy milk.

:)

I figured I would post about this since it caused me so many problems a little over a year ago. I started drinking a lot of soy milk thinking it would be far more healthy than skim milk. Then, my acne started to become awful. It remained in that awful state for months and months...and months.

So then, I went to a month long camp. During that month, I ate the same type of meals as I normally ate, however I did not have access to soymilk. I drank skim for that entire time.

When I arrived home, my skin had improved drastically. I went back to my normal diet, which at the time, included soymilk. In about one week my skin was back to the acne mess it was before camp.. I thought about what I did differently during the camp, and the only thing different was the milk.

I stopped drinking soymilk and my skin has remained okay ever since.

I'm just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience with soy milk.

:)

Everyone is different! So expect to see different answers. :)

Thats very interesting Dani12.

Ive read some stuff on the internet linking dairy to acne. The explanations behind it are simple and understandable. So last December I decided to cut ALL dairy out of my diet. And it has helped the frequency of my breakouts to an extent, especially around my lips. I found that if I was to drink a glass of milk before bed, I would wake up the next morning with about 4 or 5 new spots. So for me its the diary that does the damage.

Since ive been using soy alternatives. I dont use them daily as I find they taste disgusting, especially the milk. I only really use it when cooking. But maybe I will see what happens if I cut that out too. Im not going to miss it. I miss dairy products like cheese (I fancy a nice pizza right now haha) but I will give it a go and see what happens!

I used to drink soy milk when I was on the pill I don't remember anything about my skin in that time, other than it being clear, having just come off a long bout of minocycline.

But now I'm not on the pill, if I drink soy milk, it totally messes up my periods! Like something chronic. The first time I drank it, after not having it in ages, I actually started spotting..and I wasn't due on for 2 weeks :/

Crazy.

I personally prefer Almond Milk to soy milk for taste, and I feel that the nutrtitional merits would be superior. Can anyone speak to their experiences with that and their acne?