Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jack4740

Height shrinking while on accutane is b*******

It's a load of garbage, don't believe anyone who tells you it. Accutane does NOT shrink height and the only people who report this are people who can't measure themselves properly or accuratly enough.

Yes accutane in extremely rare cases can cause premature stopping of growth in bones(in teenagers who hav'nt already grown yet) and bone thinning, but thats extremely rare and not even worth the hassle or time thinking about.

If you were 5ft11 before treatment, you're going to be 5ft11 after treatment, and the only thing that might give you a different height would be your own inaccuracy of measurement or what shoes/socks you were wearing at the time.

New member, new ignorance. You're a fool. There are proven studies that for younger teens who have not stopped growing yet it can cause premature stunting of growth. There are scientific studies around which conclude this - no I won't look for them, do it yourself.

From FDA.gov

"Bone and muscle problems. Accutane may affect bones, muscles, and ligaments and cause pain in your joints or muscles. Tell your prescriber if you plan vigorous physical activity during treatment with Accutane. Tell your prescriber if you develop pain, particularly back pain or joint pain. There are reports that some patients have had stunted growth after taking Accutane for acne as directed. There are also some reports of broken bones or reduced healing of broken bones after taking Accutane for acne as directed. No one knows if taking Accutane for acne will affect your bones. If you have a broken bone, tell your provider that you are taking Accutane. Muscle weakness with or without pain can be a sign of serious muscle damage. If this happens, stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber right away."

Go away.

New member, new ignorance. You're a fool. There are proven studies that for younger teens who have not stopped growing yet it can cause premature stunting of growth. There are scientific studies around which conclude this - no I won't look for them, do it yourself.

From FDA.gov

"Bone and muscle problems. Accutane may affect bones, muscles, and ligaments and cause pain in your joints or muscles. Tell your prescriber if you plan vigorous physical activity during treatment with Accutane. Tell your prescriber if you develop pain, particularly back pain or joint pain. There are reports that some patients have had stunted growth after taking Accutane for acne as directed. There are also some reports of broken bones or reduced healing of broken bones after taking Accutane for acne as directed. No one knows if taking Accutane for acne will affect your bones. If you have a broken bone, tell your provider that you are taking Accutane. Muscle weakness with or without pain can be a sign of serious muscle damage. If this happens, stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber right away."

Go away.

Old member, old ignorance, and massive amount of bitterness towards this drug. Everybody on this forum can see your blatent biastness against accutane.

You write a big spiel but yet you don't refute what I'm saying, I'm not saying that accutane does'nt cause premature stunting of growth, I'm not saying it does'nt affect muscles or bones, infact I even write in my paragraph that it does you idiot.

I'm saying, and this is FACT that it does'nt shrink height, and you hav'nt refuted that, so your whole spiel means shit.

If you're trying to apply that in some way accutane affecting muscles and bones can decrease height, it does'nt, end of. Bones don't shrink, they thin and muscles don't shrink.

I have researched a lot about this and have found nothing on height shrinkage so how dare you call me ignorant push off moron.

From FDA.gov

Go away.

You write a big spiel but yet you don't refute what I'm saying, I'm not saying that accutane does'nt cause premature stunting of growth, I'm not saying it does'nt affect muscles or bones, infact I even write in my paragraph that it does you idiot.

If you knew the pathology of osteoarthritis/osteopenia You wouldn't be making yourself look such a fool at the moment. A decrease in bone density i.e. osteopenia can most certainly lead to a decrease in height, why the hell do you think old people i.e. your grandfather, tend to shrink with age?

and LOL at muscle don't shrink. As your hormones decrease i.e. GH, IGF free testosterone etc etc so will muscle mass. Again go look at your grandfather or anyone over the age of 50 not weight lifting, they slowly lose muscle mass. Accutane can affect hormones so again this is a possiblity.

Where did the shrinkage come from? We've known about stunted growth, but that's not the same as shrinkage. Did you read something here or come across something on the web that provoked the formation of this thread?

Where did the shrinkage come from? We've known about stunted growth, but that's not the same as shrinkage. Did you read something here or come across something on the web that provoked the formation of this thread?

Yes I can remeber seing a post on the negative accutane expierences thread, where sombody reported that they shrunk 1inch after taking accutane in height, this worried me a lot as I'm happy with my height and don't want to shrink, so I thought I'd be informative and just let people know that accutane can stop growth at an early age and can thin bones (but remeber it's rare), but cannot cause people's height to shrink.

Oli girl i believe has lost height, she has osteopenia (accutane induced) and has height loss aswell. Maybe not during her accutane course but shortly after... Correct me if i'm wrong Oli girl.

Oli girl i believe has lost height, she has osteopenia (accutane induced) and has height loss aswell. Maybe not during her accutane course but shortly after... Correct me if i'm wrong Oli girl.

Osteopenia, and Osteoporosis are the thinning of the bones wether it be accutane induced or not. I don't see how this can affect height, or than just thinning the bones and making them more likely to break or fracture during an accident.

Trust me, I've looked all over the internet for this, and Ive looked on the accutane side affects list. It does'nt mention anywhere about losing height. This is the only place where I've found any information about height shrinkage and to be honest I don't believe a lot of what is written on here.

I was already 6'4 in shoes before Accutane and I'm still 6'4 in shoes post-accutane. I started when I was 19 I believe, wasn't that practically the end of my growth cycle?

I don't recall too many people around me growing any taller after 18 anyway.

I was already 6'4 in shoes before Accutane and I'm still 6'4 in shoes post-accutane. I started when I was 19 I believe, wasn't that practically the end of my growth cycle?

I don't recall too many people around me growing any taller after 18 anyway.

I'm 16 and I'm 6ft3 or maybe 4 not sure, I think Ive pretty much finished growth, got hairs everywhere pretty much, except my face, which is only now growing. I don't think I should worry about premature blah blah, as I think I'm finished and it's rare anyway.

Yerr if you're 18 I'd probably more or less guess you're finished, although they say late bloomers don't finish until 21, I would consider myself a late bloomer as I started expanding so to speak 5 or 6 months ago funny enough around the time my acne started to get worse and cystic, I really can't see myself growing anymore, so hopefully my accutane will cure my acne, and It won't come back again.

I don't understand how accutane could shrink a person. How bizarre. Also jack, how are you so sure accutane can't shrink a person? Apparently it shrunk someone on this board.

I don't understand how accutane could shrink a person. How bizarre. Also jack, how are you so sure accutane can't shrink a person? Apparently it shrunk someone on this board.

Neither do I understand, I was led to believe by this person's post that accutane definantly will shrink you in height, and that's not the case. Been everywhere, looked everywhere can't find a stitch of information to back up this height shrinkage claim.

I've found other things that are more likely that doctor's have said have never occured ever in 15years of practice.

I'm thinking maybe because osteoporosis actually causes the collapse of the vertebrate so most who suffer from it tend to be hunch back it probably gave the illusion they lost height.

However osteoporosis or osteopenia are cause by a number of factors, the most common being the lack of the hormone estrogen. Atheletes who do a lot of physical activity especially the marathorn runners are also very prone to osteoporosis or osteopenia because of the force exerted on the bones every time they run.

Lamarr1986 You are Not wrong. I did shrink an 1 1/2 inches. I have severe Osteopenia in not 1 place, but 5 Places. High Fracture Risk.

Yes it is documented that accutane caused my height loss. I was 5'6 1/2 before accutane and records show that 4 months into my course that I had already shrunk an INCH. However the doctor never said anything and I didn't notice right away. Lost another 1/2 inch 3 months after that.

MY Course Started Nov 07' By the end of my course I was 5'5

Read your Roche information people It clearly states that accutane can cause Osteopenia/Osteoprosis spontaneously. Doesn't matter how long you've been on it.

It clearly states that Vit A and Retinoids can cause this, research them.

Note********* My female hormones such as estrogen was totally normal****** Doctors have agreed that Accutane caused my Severe Osteopenia and loss of height********