Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RebeccaDeWinter

Do you think dark chocolate is truly beneficial, or just another health fad?

We all know it tastes good and a square of dark chocolate is a good substitute for say reeses peanut butter cups, but is it really good for your heart and skin?

We all know it tastes good and a square of dark chocolate is a good substitute for say reeses peanut butter cups, but is it really good for your heart and skin?

I've heard cocoa is healthy. So, if dark chocolate is made of pure cocoa then is healthy. Though, some dark chocolate usually has sugars added.However, It should be all right on occasion.

I would wait for more replies because I'm not an expert on this.

I've heard cocoa is healthy. So, if dark chocolate is made of pure cocoa then is healthy. Though, some dark chocolate usually has sugars added.However, It should be all right on occasion.

I would wait for more replies because I'm not an expert on this.

EddieE, I think that was an excellent answer.

You should be just fine with chocolate that has less sugar and a higher cocoa content.

Cocoa beans are high in magnesium and steric acid and they are low in fiber (great for people suffering IBS).

I love chocolate-covered coffee beans (which are lower sugar and still provide a great pick-me-up due to caffeine content) and homemade brownies are great because you can control the amount of sugar in them.

I don't think chocolate is good for the skin or liver, but it might be healthier to get a dark chocolate bar or one with nuts, dried fruit, coconut (these tend to have a lower glycemic index which can blunt an insulin spike) instead of pure milk chocolate and Reese's (although I do love PB cups!! They are really not too bad in moderation or once in a blue moon).

In the past I tried the diet discussed on and it worked really well for me. The essence of this diet is to avoid cooked protein (but raw egg yolk and sashimi are recommended) and to get most protein from brazil nuts (I also like almonds a lot). It recommends the bulk of the diet being fresh raw fruits. (oddly, it suggests being careful about which vegetables you eat though and doesn't recommend many).

Avoiding hi GI foods, and dairy probably helps too. Anyways, I was really strict on this diet (it was working great!), but I thought I'd experiment with chocolate a bit.

I bought some PURE Bakers chocolate from the grocery store baking aisle (i.e. with NO sugar or anything else in it) and melted it in a double boiler and put a few tablespoons of raw, natural honey in it as it cooled, and also mixed in some rasins and chopped nuts.

I sandwich it in wax paper and put it in the fridge for a few hours to harden.

Now, I could eat a decent amount of this very dark chocolate with no side effects at all, in my case. Chocolate itself didn't seem to cause any breakouts or comedones for me. I think that what DOES cause problems is the dairy and large amounts of sugar in most chocolate candy, but this home made stuff of mine is pretty healthy, in my opinion, and even a small amount was very fulfilling because it is so concentrated.

I hope that's helpful to some!

I would say anything at least 90 percent or higher is good. I am addicted to 90 percent at the moment (I haven't been able to find 100 percent here!).

Eck? 100% You mean like the Baker's chocolate I'm talking about? That stuff tastes pretty bitter and is reeealy hard. It definitely needs a *little* sweetening of some sort. With the honey it gives a nice texture, actually, I think.

I agreed! 100% cocoa is bitter! I tried this stuff and I spit it out as fast as possible :P

There should be good recipe for 100% cocoa because it's actually for baking.

Lindt has a 99% cacao which is amazing. It's pretty bitter, but has a very smooth and complex flavor. It's much better than baker's chocolate

I love chocolate-covered coffee beans (which are lower sugar and still provide a great pick-me-up due to caffeine content) and homemade brownies are great because you can control the amount of sugar in them.

They make those? MMMMM... sounds good.

Yeah. Lots of companies make chocolate with coffee beans.

They do go wonderfully together, because they are related and have a somewhat similar flavor afterall

I can't recall the exact number, but I *think* you get benefits with anything 60% or above. My personal favourite is 72%. I like a piece of 85% every now and then, but it's a bit too strong for me without a few almonds and dried cranberries to offset the taste.

Cocoa powder is excellent for you. Here is a huge thread on imminst forums talking about the great benefits of Cocoa. http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=15007