Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ac_m

Pregnancy acne

I am 25 weeks pregnant and am suffering from the worst acne ever in my life. I've had absolutey clear skin till 4 years ago when I suddenly started breaking out but was always able to resolve the issue with BP, topical antibiotics etc. But since I have got pregnant, my acne is out of control and I get atleast 1 new pimple everyday and they leave a hirrble pigmentation/scar!

I have been to see my derm who prescribed topical antibiotics + oral erythromycin (strongest safe med during pregnancy) but its been 3 weeks and I see no improvement...

I am unable to leave the house (took 2 weeks off work- it got that bad) and am getting v depressed whcih cant be good for the baby!

PLEASE let me know if anyone has found any success with pregnancy acne.....

It's just all the hormones in your body going crazy and I'm not really sure what can be done to ease that, as your body is under an immense amount of stress, helping a little person grow and develop inside you.

I can't offer you any practical solutions, as I've not been there. However, my mum always had absolutely perfect skin, until she got pregnant. Her skin went mental and she broke out in loads of inflamed, red spots. Pretty much as soon as my little sister was born though, and her hormones calmed down, her skin returned back to its normal, perfectly-clear self. Also, I remember my aunt always having really bad, oily, acne-prone skin (I have that too, and we used to always share remedies etc.!), which never really changed when she got pregnant. After she had her child though, her skin magically cleared up! She said her hair got less greasy too and she could wash it less. It was as though everything just fixed itself when she had a child. I'm hoping I'll be the same when my time comes!

Try not to stress yourself out even more over your pregnancy acne- it's very common but it's also temporary. Your hormones will settle once you've had your baby. Just concentrate on that!

Thanks Glitterball... this gives me hope that the nightmare can end after birth... I think its very tough luck to get hit by bad acne on top of everything that pregnancy entails...

Hey ac, just wanted to tell you that I know how you feel. I'm not sure if my skin was just so well controlled by topical retinoids/ antibiotics/ BP/ whatever else I was slathering on there or what (it was never perfect, just a few tolerable spots here and there) but when I was pregnant my skin got to be the worst it ever was in my entire life. I even cut myself out of the pictures from the delivery room it was that bad. Really awful. I guess many if not most people get back to normal after birth, but that wasn't the case for me. The bad skin just continued and got worse. Anyway, try not to stress out right now, you've got a baby to grow! But, keep in touch with your derm and try to be patient. 3 weeks is not too long, you may not have seen the effect yet of what you're taking. And if it doesn't work, after you have the baby your options really open up.

I am 25 weeks pregnant and am suffering from the worst acne ever in my life. I've had absolutey clear skin till 4 years ago when I suddenly started breaking out but was always able to resolve the issue with BP, topical antibiotics etc. But since I have got pregnant, my acne is out of control and I get atleast 1 new pimple everyday and they leave a hirrble pigmentation/scar!

I have been to see my derm who prescribed topical antibiotics + oral erythromycin (strongest safe med during pregnancy) but its been 3 weeks and I see no improvement...

I am unable to leave the house (took 2 weeks off work- it got that bad) and am getting v depressed whcih cant be good for the baby!

PLEASE let me know if anyone has found any success with pregnancy acne.....

Hang tight, it will eventually calm down. My daughter is one year and my pregnancy with her I was broken out quite a bit. It will eventually calm down, don't worry too much. I think most women (who deal with acne and who don't) deal with it during pregnancy. Plus the more we worry about our skin I think the more we tend to break out. Imagine yourself with fresh blemish free skin and it will help you to get there. Also, I learned that eating chocolate durting prego keeps the baby happier, I'm sure it will help you as well :)

Thanks all for the support...

The meds suddenly seem to have kicked in and I seem to be getting rid of all bumps/other disgusting things that had appeared on my face....

Still left with ugly pigmentation scars but they are said to fade over time...

Fingers crossed!!!

xx :think:

Hi, all.

I feel for all the pregnant women out there who have to go through this horrifying experience. To date, I still feel quite angry and resentful that pregnant women have to go through this, as if we don't have enough on our minds!

I myself am 15 weeks pregnant now, and I broke out suddenly in my week 11, and it spread like wildfire across my left cheek to my chin and a little to my right in 2 days.

At one point, my chin hurt so bad that I couldn't even smile or eat anything that require me to open my mouth wide (like apples). And a few times, when I ate an apple, some of the nodules/pustules popped... It was awful. I had to take a couple of weeks off to stay home because of the pain and the extreme mortification and embarassment.

Early last week, it came to a point where I was crying myself to sleep for a few nights in a row, and the moment I wake up, tears automatically roll down. I put my foot down, and "forced" my way into my dermatologist's office, begging her to see me. She did. I think she felt sorry for me.

My derm said that it was the pregnancy hormones causing a very bad flare up of my existing condition, rosacea... I've always had it under very good control with diet, and avoidance of extreme heat and cold. But the pregnancy hormones did it. She said that with pregnancy, preexisting conditions can go either way... either your skin will be the best it ever will be, or it will be the worst ever! I was unlucky.

Anyhow, she prescribed a 10 day course of Erythromycin, and today is my last day. The infection on my face has stopped spreading, and my inflamed face is much calmer now. I am keeping my fingers crossed, drinking lemon water every day, eating lots of fruits and vegetables, and praying very hard :pray: every night for healing. (Although I have been naughty as I craved for a slice of pizza today!) :|

I still have lots of healing to do with lots of dried up bumps and spots. I will be seeing my derm again next Wednesday, and hopefully, by then, I will have cleared up enough to not need another course of antibiotics.

The blessing from this incident is that I changed my diet and ensured that it was organic (mostly) and healthier than ever can be. I actually ate more fruits in the last 4 weeks than my last 4 years combined! :shock:

I hope for any pregnant woman out there who is reading this, and suffering from pregnancy acne, even mild in the beginning, to please seek help from a dermatologist as soon as you see signs of acne. Prevention is really better than cure in the case of pregnancy acne.

I believe if my GP had referred me to my derm when I first went in to see him (with the bump on my right cheek that grew bigger by the hour), I might have been spared the painful pus filled lesions on my chin.

But we all learn. And I hope that no other pregnant woman have to go through something like that ever.

Sorry for this long story. And thanks for reading. I wish all pregnant women healthy skin, healthy babies, and glowing pregnancies!

Denise from Toronto

I have a problem with my skin now and I'm in my 14th week. I have bacne, shoulders and breast... I have always had acne but it really helped with benzoylperoxid but now it's at the same level as when I was 14 yo (and horrible!!). I am just afraid that benzoylperoxide would damage the baby inside - but I'm seriously thinking about using it again. I am really anxious about it now, because I'm going to a vacation with my hubby in three weeks and will wear a bikini all the time...

Any advice? :think:

Natasha from Copenhagen

Edited by natadk

Natasha,

I use the Acne.org Treatment (benzoyl Peroxide), AHA+, and Moisturizer, and I am 17 weeks pregnant. My Dr. ok'd them during pregnancy (I took a list of the ingredients to my OB). I would ask your doc, but I bet that they will say that using it is fine. ;)

Good luck, and have a fun vacation!

:) Tiffany

Natasha,

I use the Acne.org Treatment (benzoyl Peroxide), AHA+, and Moisturizer, and I am 17 weeks pregnant. My Dr. ok'd them during pregnancy (I took a list of the ingredients to my OB). I would ask your doc, but I bet that they will say that using it is fine. ;)

Good luck, and have a fun vacation!

:) Tiffany

Thank you, Tiffany!

I have searched more information about bp and guess it's all right - here in Denmark there's a bp product with 5% and 10% and it's still allowed to use during pregnancy. I tried 5% and it was too much for my skin at that time. Now I've ordered 2x18 oz danielkern's bp so looking forward to start with it again! :)

Regards,

Natasha

I was going to say, don't use any Vit A or retinoids, they are a big no, no.

Before you try anything new check with your OB, even if your derm says it's safe, always check with your OB first. My derm prescribed me things and when I check with my OB he said absolutally NO.

I have found this on curehunter.com site:

"BPO is safe for use in pregnant and lactating females because it is degraded to benzoic acid. "

Benzoic acid: A fungistatic compound that is widely used as a food preservative. It is conjugated to GLYCINE in the liver and excreted as hippuric acid.

:think:

Edited by natadk

Before you try anything new check with your OB, even if your derm says it's safe, always check with your OB first. My derm prescribed me things and when I check with my OB he said absolutally NO.

This was my experience also. Definitely check with your ob on whatever your derm says. Hopefully your two doctors can work together in helping you. (though my ob was very cautious about any acne meds, she told me to just wait it out)