Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So for my acne.. it always seems that proactive would work well for whiteheads that I would get. But it never worked for any other acne I would have/get.

So i havent used proactive since started accutane (day 27 today) My face is still breaking out pretty bad.. (you know.. the glorious Initial breakout). As of right now my face is kinda dry, the areas where there is acne will flake once like every 2 days. (the dry skin i can tolerate so far)

I am hoping that I am on the back end of the IB (prob will get more now just cause i said that haha).. but the ones that have come up the past few days started as whiteheads but became red and inflamed.

would it be ok if I were to use proactive for a week to hopefully help clear some of the whiteheads so they dont get the chance to become inflamed etc.

im guessing my face will get drier...but becides that is there any other effects on the accutane it could do?

(I would rather handle and manage a dry face then the breakout)

if proactive never made you breakout or dry up after using it, then go for it.

what you should be concerned with is if the proactive compounded with tane will make you breakout too much or that you'll become too dry. if proactive alone didn't do those, i'm sure you'll be fine. but don't expect the breakouts to go away in a day. some people get rid of them after 2 weeks, some don't.

i'm on day 116 and i just got three new breakouts.

if proactive never made you breakout or dry up after using it, then go for it.

what you should be concerned with is if the proactive compounded with tane will make you breakout too much or too dry. if proactive alone didn't do those, i'm sure you'll be fine. but don't expect the breakouts to go away in a day. some people get rid of them after 2 weeks, some don't.

i'm on day 116 and i just got three new breakouts.

For me, I have mild but persistent acne. (whiteheads and then papules and pustules).. proactive worked against the whiteheads. For my breakout on tane.. it seems that MOST the acne I have been getting during the IB originated as whiteheads first... so i figured used proactive, hopefully limit the whiteheads and it could at least lesson the chance that those become big, red, inflamed like all the others have.

(in the past proactive had dried me out a little bit, but that's usually because i went a little overboard with the 3rd step.. the lotion with BP in it)

It might be too harsh, especially because the cleanser is abrasive. I tried gently buffing my face with a cotton round to help cleanse, and this left my skin raw and sore - this was about three weeks into my course. I would generally advise you to avoid anything that 'exfoliates' or abrades your skin in any way because a) it will damage your thinned skin b) it will hurt and c) it will exacerbate red marks. If you're just thinking of using the toner and treatment, that's probably fine if your skin hasn't dried out. Avoid overdoing it - I was fine using topicals when I first started Accutane, but I tried them a month in and found that my acne got five times worse. Just a word of caution.

now when you saw raw and sore... r u suggesting that the skin around where the pimples are (not exactly the pimple itself) gets dry/red/raw? Cause i actually just put a question up on the board about that happening..(there is a longer explenation on it in the actuall topid i posted)

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=241592