Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I began having acne around the 8th grade. In the 9th grade it gradually worsened and became larger and much redder. I don't have terribly bad acne but I hated it so much I couldnt stand to look in the mirror at myself. Im now going into the 11th grade and still cannot face myself in the mirror confidently, and when I do its a big thing for me. Pretty lame. I flinch when I see a mirror and avoid them as well as cameras. I absolutely hate it. Anyone else feel like this? I just wanted to put that out there and tell somebody.

Yes, of course. I always avoid mirrors, even when I'm washing my hands at any given sink. I look down to avoid the mirror in front of me. Sometimes I can't help but glance up and witness the horrid redness on the sides of my face.

I also have a friend or two who constantly want to take pictures, which I generally dislike, especially since they don't know the exact angle to take the picture from to make the acne look less bad. *sigh*

I can't wait for the day to confidently look in the mirror, gaze at my hypothetical smooth skin, and keep on walking with a satisfied smile on my face, ready to take on the day ahead. Am I right?

I have the same issue, OP. At first, it was a cycle of carrying a compact foundation thing in my pocket, constantly looking at myself in the mirror and re-applying. Now it's come to a point where I can't even look at myself. I feel ashamed; wanting to wear a paper bag over my face all the time. Sometimes, I wish life was like the internet. No faces to talk to, just words... getting to know the people. That's the best part, why I love it here so much.

This forum never ceases to amaze me at just how often I related to things that people say.

I am identical to you all. I HATE MIRRORS! I would almost go as far as saying that I fear them. Its strange though because when I was younger and I had severe acne I was fine. I could look in the mirror every morning and do my hair (back in the days when guys used a ton of hair gel to make them look like a hedgehog haha) and have no problem. Of course I wasnt happy about the acne but it didnt really bother me much.

I know when the turning point was though. The first time I was on accutane I woke up one morning (I was on the max strength that can be prescribed in the UK) and my face wasnt red and I couldnt see the spots- it was white! It was white because I was literally shedding all of my skin. This was about 5 years ago now but I can still picture it in my mind exactlly. All I had to do was lightly poke my face and a tonne of skin fell off. I just ran away crying my eyes out. Admittedly I didnt really look after my skin in them days. I was young, a guy and didnt have anything like this website to pick up tips from. What was a moisturiser? It wasnt cool for a guy to use that!

Several years on and I still hate mirrors. Since I last cleared my acne up it has got a bit better and I can look in the mirror from a few metres away in the right light. But that has since gone out of the window since the acne has returned. I know that its not even that bad, I just dont like looking at it.

And photos im the same with too. If you look at the photos ive been tagged in on Facebook 95% of them are when im on a night out so its either dark or im drunk so I forget what I look like haha. I love taking photos and I love looking at them too. Its a shame.

well your gonna have to face up to it sooner or later, and to try accepting yourself for how you look, if you dont, you wont be getting any where

Adams 2 pence!

Same for me... I fully understand... I cant face looking in the mirror at my face any more... I always try to look the other way or only allow myself a quick glimpse from a distance... no point depressing myself with a close look at the warzone that is my face before I go out to batter my self esteem even further!

!I KNOW RIGHT!,

Mirrors in a room with bright lights are the worst.

Recently I just avoid looking in mirrors because it's too painful/deppressing.

I hate looking at my scars, period. But I have this insane urge to check out my face everyday lol. Guess I must be a masochist.

For some reason the mirror in my car is the worst thing ever, on thursday I was feeling masochist for some reason and took a look at myself, I felt so bad after that that I couldn't focus on driving anymore and I bumped into another car, nothing serious though, but still, this is affecting my life so much it's not funny... :(

I dun really get the car window thing actually. If its red marks or active acne, how do you see them from the car window? Unless its scars, then I can understand.