Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dalila

Taking two antibiotics at once?

Some clarifying points...

I was on Septra for four years and it worked very well from the first week. Went off it in Feb and tried spironolactone. After almost 6 months I now have a crazy acne "beard" and went on Doxy over a week ago out of desperation. I know a week is not long but knowing that Septra works for me, I'd like to switch back.

Some clarifying points...

I was on Septra for four years and it worked very well from the first week. Went off it in Feb and tried spironolactone. After almost 6 months I now have a crazy acne "beard" and went on Doxy over a week ago out of desperation. I know a week is not long but knowing that Septra works for me, I'd like to switch back.

I don't have any advice but I feel your pain. Last year, my derm started with doryx, then solodyn before septra/bactrim. The septra is the only thing that has ever cleared me 100%, but my derm wouldn't let me stay on it. Of course, I'm breaking out horribly again and out of desperation I'm back on solodyn. I'm starting my 4th week as of tonight and I guess it might be starting to work as I haven't spotted any new pimples since Monday. Who knows though...I seem to break out every few days so I might just be overdue. If I could go back on Bactrim, I think I would. I think I'd rather live with the possible long term effects of Bactrim use then have acne. Call it superficial, I don't care. Acne has slowly killed me over the past 10 years anyway...it's just a different kind of death.

Thank you for your response! I, too, feel like I am dying inside with all these acne problems and I am almost 41 (30 years of this!). The question is which is better: a shorter & happier life with clear skin or a longer more miserable life with acne. I don't know, but right now I'll take the first one...