Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chisox23

How long does the Regimen usually take to yield results?

Hey guys. I just started the regimen two days ago and, naturally, I don't expect to see any results right away. The thing is, I've tried tons of different things to get rid of my moderate acne, most of which came with either very vague timeframes or none at all. Because of this, it's hard for me to gauge whether something simply isn't working or if it just needs more time. I fear that I may have abandoned things to early in the past. I'm fourteen years old going into my freshman year of highschool and I've had acne since sixth grade. It would be a tremendous help if people who had success on the regimen could tell me how long it was before they started seeing lasting improvement.

Thanks everybody.

It took about 9 weeks for me to become clear (well, except for red marks). My acne was kinda moderate, mostly inflamed. I have a photo album if you want to see for yourself.

Good luck!

Generally, you should give any treatment at the very least a month to start working. Acne takes a while to form under the skin and then surface, so you kind of just have to wait until your skin is cleared out to see if the treatment will prevent future acne.

With The Regimen, we generally suggest sticking with it for at least three months, because that's about how long is takes most people to see significant and consistent clearing (some people do clear up faster, and some may need a bit longer--everybody's skin is different).

Within 4 weeks, I started seeing improvements. After 3 months, my face was 97% clear some of the time. After 6 months, my face was consistently 99% clear.

Thanks everybody so much. I was having a pretty bad day to this point and I can't really say enough how much it means that you guys commented on my post.

One more question: Before I started the Regimen, I had been using nightly 10% BP (usually a pretty fair amount of it, too) as part of another regimen I had been employing for about 3 and a half weeks prior to starting the Acne.org regimen. I figured that my face was probably already "used" to the BP, so I decided to start with what I think is the full amount (two fingers worth of Neutrogena On-The-Spot for my whole face: one for my chin and upper lip, one for my forehead). its been 5 days since I started and the peeling around my mouth area is pretty terrible. In the last couple of days, I tried using about half as much, but found that the peeling around my mouth was still about the same, which is bad enough to have kept me in the house for the last 5 days. Should I scale back the amount of BP for now (and then up the amount when the website recommends) or stick to what I was doing? It seems like the peeling is pretty much inevitable either way. Which would minimize it?

Also: I'm moisturizing both day and night, during the day with a moisturizer has an SPF 15.

Thanks everybody so much. I was having a pretty bad day to this point and I can't really say enough how much it means that you guys commented on my post.

One more question: Before I started the Regimen, I had been using nightly 10% BP (usually a pretty fair amount of it, too) as part of another regimen I had been employing for about 3 and a half weeks prior to starting the Acne.org regimen. I figured that my face was probably already "used" to the BP, so I decided to start with what I think is the full amount (two fingers worth of Neutrogena On-The-Spot for my whole face: one for my chin and upper lip, one for my forehead). its been 5 days since I started and the peeling around my mouth area is pretty terrible. In the last couple of days, I tried using about half as much, but found that the peeling around my mouth was still about the same, which is bad enough to have kept me in the house for the last 5 days. Should I scale back the amount of BP for now (and then up the amount when the website recommends) or stick to what I was doing? It seems like the peeling is pretty much inevitable either way. Which would minimize it?

Also: I'm moisturizing both day and night, during the day with a moisturizer has an SPF 15.

Try reducing the amount of BP you're using even further. Use a half finger's worth for a week or two (or even less, if you need to--you may even want to stop using BP altogether for a few days to allow your skin to recover), and then follow the instructions for The Regimen, upping the amount of BP you're using very gradually.

Keep in mind, too, that some flaking early on is normal and to be expected, and that, as your skin adjusts to The Regimen, it will subside.

It's been about five weeks since I started the regimen, and I haven't seen much of an improvement. In fact, my acne has actually worsened noticeably. I really want to stick it out for at least another month before I give up, but my problem is that I start high school in a couple weeks, and I was really hoping that I could clear my skin up just a little bit before I went back to school.Is it possible that I'll see some improvement in the next couple of weeks? Has anyone else found that their acne got worse on the regimen before getting better?

It's been about five weeks since I started the regimen, and I haven't seen much of an improvement. In fact, my acne has actually worsened noticeably. I really want to stick it out for at least another month before I give up, but my problem is that I start high school in a couple weeks, and I was really hoping that I could clear my skin up just a little bit before I went back to school.Is it possible that I'll see some improvement in the next couple of weeks? Has anyone else found that their acne got worse on the regimen before getting better?

Mine got progressively worse over a period of four weeks before finally clearing up. Specifically, my skin was dry, flakey (which has never been a problem for me before), and produced oil to try to balance itself. This, on top of slightly worsened acne. I was very close to shipping my acne.org order back for a refund, but stuck with it because I was using the somewhat similar Acnefree regimen before this, and the cost per month is approximately the same, but the acne.org regimen comes four times the benzoyl peroxide for only a few dollars more per month.

(An additional note that kept me with it, the Acnefree solution's equivalent to Dan's cleanser contains benzoyl peroxide. It's much easier to let a little water/product drip onto your upper torso while washing it than it is while applying the thicker, gel-like benzoyl peroxide. I found that with the Acnefree wash, I was much more likely to bleach my shirts and further increase my gross cost while using it. With Dan's, I don't have to worry about splashing my neck; simply ensure your face is dry before applying benzoyl peroxide, which you should be doing anyway.)

Anyway, That was back in late June. It's now been two months, and I've been mostly clear for the last month. I'd nearly forgotten what it's like to seek social interaction instead of straying away from it.

All this said, I had moderate cystic acne. Not much active acne, 1-2 at any given time, but it was almost always inflamed and very apparent. Now, I get a single small spot a week, if that.

But yah, for the first month or so, I imagined I'd be someone for whom this regimen didn't work. I was planning to leave a final post mentioning that I followed the direction precisely with no success, but finally -- at week five or so -- my skin adjusted to the exorbitant amounts of benzoyl peroxide and I stopped getting new acne.

Your situation might be different, it surely doesn't work for everyone, but I just thought I'd share my experience. You've got 90 days to return your order, so unless you've got something particular you're interested in jumping ship for, I'd stick with it and make sure you're doing everything you can to ensure the products are working under ideal conditions.

Thanks guys. Taikero, my experience on the regimen sounds almost identical to yours, only I have more active acne and rarely any cystic. For me its been about five weeks since I started the regimen, so I'm hoping that sooner or later I'll get over the proverbial "hump" and start to see at least some improvement. Realme, I'm using the full amount now, although one of the reasons I might take a little longer to see improvements is that when I first started, I used the full amount and had horrible peeling and dryness as a result. I did this for about a week before I decided that I would need to start over with a much smaller amount. Before I restarted the regimen, I took two days off of BP and simply washed and moisturized my face. So, come to think of it, I may only be four legitimate weeks into the regimen.

I'd keep on trucking! It's hard, but it will take some time - and if you follow the regimen to a T - you should be as good as golden! The biggest thing for me is to slow down - and keep the steps in my mind - gentle, let air dry, and a lot of BP (gently - when you can put the full amount.) Don't pick, poke, prodd....as hard as it seems :) After using the regimen for over a year - I was starting to get sloppy - and it showed - I always take time in the AM and night - to take it slow with the regimen - and it's worth it!!!!

Hey, I started two days ago too.

I've seen an improve already!

Sorta, mines not as bad as what Ive seen on here, just a few blocked pores, one pimple, and a few tiny tiny pimples or under the skin pimples on the left side of my forehead and side.

I have had MUCH worse though.

Hey, guys. I've got about a week and a day left until school starts, and I've pretty much given up on being 100% clear by that time (that was a pretty unrealistic goal from the start, I know). I do think I've been seeing some improvements over the last couple of days, though I feel a couple of new spots coming in. I had to get up early today to go pick up my books from the school, and a thought occurred to me: when school starts, I'm going to have to be getting up at around 5:30-6:00. The regimen calls for applications of BP every 10-12 hours, which would mean that if I applied BP at 6:00 AM I would at the latest have to do it again at 6:00 PM. This may seem kinda stupid, but I've been trying my best to follow the regimen instructions to the letter, as many people have said that this is the best way to go about it. What should I do? Does it matter if there's a sixteen hour layover and then an eight hour layover between BP applications? I guess I could do it at around six whenever possible, though that would be kind of a hassle. This can't be that big of an issue, as I know I'm not the only one who has to get up early in the morning.

I'm feeling pretty frustrated right now. I start school tomorrow, and you'd think I'd be excited, as my acne really improved over the last week or so. The problem is, it left a TON of red marks behind. Right now the new red marks, along with red marks left over from the last month or so, make it look like I have more acne right now then I ever really have had. Does anybody have any suggestions for getting rid of/speeding up the fading of red marks.

The good news here, though, is that the regimen seems to be working, meaning that when the red marks finally do subside, I should be pretty much clear.

I feel your pain with the red marks. My skin has cleared up considerably over the past couple weeks but everything that has come and gone for the past few months has left red marks (and the cyctic ones leave lumps which take a while to slough off then even longer for the redness to go away).

It sucks and looks just like actual acne in pictures (ugh) but I just have to remind myself that it's not and it will go away.

The one thing that does seem to help is AHA. I haven't been able to order Dan's AHA ptoduct yet but I can recommend Alpha Hydrox's 10% Oil-free Gel. I haven't tried their lotion and the gel comes in a smaller tube, which kinda sucks, but it's great. That stuff alone actually cleared up my back a few months ago, which had gotten pretty bad all of a sudden. I can't handle BP and AHA at the same time but last week I used the AHA in place of the BP for a couple nights (in preparation for a weekend trip I didn't want to be red and flakey for) and things evened out considerably. Also great for combatting the flakes and annoying dry patches the BP can cause (which is particularly great for gals who want to be able to wear make-up because flakes + foundation = yuck).

Alpha Hydrox can be a bit trick to find locally but many Targets still carry it, as do a few Rite-Aids. The one place around here that I know I can get it is Ulta. Check out their website (ulta.com) to see if there's one near you. If so, I highly recommend starting there. There's usually a coupon available on the site as well for either $3.50 off of a $10 purchase or 10% off whatever size purchase.

Hope that helps!

Thanks meriellyn, that actually does help a lot. Finding the AHA isn't a problem for me, since I have some Paula's Choice AHA gel from another regimen I tried unsuccessfully. The only problem for me is that I'm not sure how to integrate it into the regimen. Do I use it before BP, or after? How much do I use?

Any advice?

Thanks meriellyn, that actually does help a lot. Finding the AHA isn't a problem for me, since I have some Paula's Choice AHA gel from another regimen I tried unsuccessfully. The only problem for me is that I'm not sure how to integrate it into the regimen. Do I use it before BP, or after? How much do I use?

Any advice?

I've only been on the regimen for one month, but I'm following Dan's suggestion to use a thin layer of the AHA+ as a nightly moisturizer about 15-20 minutes after the BP. The BP alone leaves my skin feeling a bit rough, and the AHA does a nice sort of exfoliation effect but without the irritation. My skin is pink and tight in the morning, but SMOOTH and soft and the redness goes away after cleansing. :cool:

Hey guys! I haven't posted in a long time, and today is the official three month mark of my being on the regimen. Overall, the regimen has worked great. I'm nearly clear except for a few recurring zits around the corners of my mouth and the occasional stray one, and, of course, red marks (which have improved a little, but not much). My only issue has been peeling and flaking. The last time I posted , I was talking about using AHA to get rid of my red marks. I'm not sure if this works or not, as I had to stop after about three days because I began to peel like crazy. Even just using the BP, though, I still experience some dryness and flakiness rather frequently, and I'm really not sure what to do about it. Whenever I skip or lower the amount of BP I'm using, I tend to breakout. Lately I've been using a ton of moisturizer, but that hasn't helped much. Does anybody who's been on the regimen for at least the full three months know what I'm talking about? Isn't my skin supposed to be adjusted to the BP by now? How do you deal with flaking so far into the regimen

Once again, thanks for reading everybody.

have you tried a different moisturizer? i would try a different one, at least for a while. for me, natural products work much better than your typical over-the-counter/store-bought things.