Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mageee

Accutane and Sports

I went to the doctor today and was asked to put on accutane, he prescribed it and I will be starting it in thirty days. I am really excited but extremely scared. I play sports at a division one program, which means I work out all the time. The only side effect that I am really worried about is the muscle and joint pain. I brought this up to my doctor and he told me to just try it and see how it goes. Does anybody have any advice, because I am very very nervous about the muscle pain during my preseason workouts and such. Thank you!

I've been taking it for 4 months now and felt no muscle or joint pain.

In fact, I've worked out just the same as I normally would which is 3 times a week in the gym.

no muscle pain. (tane dries out the skin, eyes, hair, brain, and JOINTS. not the muscles)

JOINT PAIN! beware. it gets worse with higher dosages.

i was on 80 mg last year and i could hardly run during games and practices because my knees hurt so much. thus i was deemed a pussy by my teammates.

this year i am on 60 mg a day, but it doesn't hurt as much on my knees or other joints. i haven't felt any pain lately.

there are things you can do to lessen the blow.

drink lots of water and take omega-3 and 6 fatty acids for your joints. these will lubricate and hydrate your soon-to-be dry joints.

also ice after exercise when you feel the pain.

by the way, i am 165 lbs.

I don't recall experiencing any muscle pain while I was on Tane and I was playing close to 4-6 hours of rigorous basketball every few days.

Hey, so i can not reply to this by personal experience. However, my friend on my old baseball team took accutane during part of the preseason and during the actual season.

Before I started I asked him about this same topic because i like going to the gym, and occasional pickup basketball game at the gym.

He said he did not experience any problems playing baseball on a daily basis (we had practice mon-fri(with conditioning and a lot of running), usually a game on sat during offseason--> practice mon,tues,thurs and games on wed fri during season) So it was quite a lot of activity but he said he had no problems.

I would suggest just take it easy at first and just see how your body reacts. To be honest, regarding joint pain, going off of others people experiences wont really give you to much information because you have to just see how your body reacts.

(even off accutane.. if u and a friend do the same workout and only one of you gets sore the next day, that persons body just reacted diffferently to the workout..)

thanks so much guys this really helps! i guess i'll tell you how it goes next month when i start !!