Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sareliz

Food allergies, hormonal, and genetic...?

So I have noticed that while I used to always get cysts on my jawline and neck, now I only ever seem to get them on the upper parts of my cheeks, near my cheekbones.

I used to assume my acne was mostly genetic and hormonal, and it probably still is for the most part, but I read about how some people theorize that certain food allergies may lead to certain areas of the face/body breaking out.

I get what I call 'regular zits' (relatively small, manageable, come to a head within a few days or so, itchy sometimes, tend to crop up in groups) in my T-zone, the parts of my cheeks on either side of my nose. These are generally more towards the center of my face, and sometimes lower. But as I said, my cysts and other more serious spots are further from the center usually, more around my cheekbones at their sharpest point and often below my eyes.

Does anyone know, by chance, of there being a connection between a certain food and this area breaking out? It is strange and morbidly interesting to me how my acne has moved from one area to another.

Anyone's experiences or input would be greatly appreciated.

Yes. My jawline, neck, hairline, back cysts were a reaction to citrus. And I've read posts by other people who notice specific foods causing them to breakout in a specific area. Cysts between the eyes from peanuts is one that I know I've seen more than once.

Hormones are still involved in allergic reactions. There's a correlation between elevated androgens and elevated histamine.

More info

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...n-t230714.html#

Yes. My jawline, neck, hairline, back cysts were a reaction to citrus. And I've read posts by other people who notice specific foods causing them to breakout in a specific area. Cysts between the eyes from peanuts is one that I know I've seen more than once.

Hormones are still involved in allergic reactions. There's a correlation between elevated androgens and elevated histamine.

More info

What is the best way to go about finding problem foods? I know there are allergy tests out there, but do people mostly do elimination diets? I would love to find out if I have food sensitivities, but it's not like you eat something and you instantly break out (for me at least).

More info

What is the best way to go about finding problem foods? I know there are allergy tests out there, but do people mostly do elimination diets? I would love to find out if I have food sensitivities, but it's not like you eat something and you instantly break out (for me at least).

It's hard to get tested for the type of anti-body that produces these delayed type of reactions. And elimination diets are free. There's more info in the link I posted above.

And for me, the cysts come the next day. But since cysts take so long to go away, I always had them so it is really hard to notice any connection to something you ate. But with an anti-inflammatory diet they don't get so inflamed and heal a lot faster. That might help you recognize connections.

Sareliz, I am just wondering if you remember what you changed when your cysts along the jaw line started going away? I have been apple fasting for some days and it seems like I only get cysts, which is just horrible. Has anyone found that eating more sugar will create more cystic acne?

So I jinxed myself.

I now have a cyst on my jawline and two new ones on my chin. Both places in which I NEVER get cysts these days. Yet, here they are. :[ I feel soooo hideous. When did this happen??

I think it might have been a reaction to chocolate, possibly. Which sucks. But I am definitely avoiding chocolate from now on just to be sure.

God this fucking sucks.

So I jinxed myself.

I now have a cyst on my jawline and two new ones on my chin. Both places in which I NEVER get cysts these days. Yet, here they are. :[ I feel soooo hideous. When did this happen??

I think it might have been a reaction to chocolate, possibly. Which sucks. But I am definitely avoiding chocolate from now on just to be sure.

God this fucking sucks.

Did you eat any fruits? I think my cysts on the jawline could be completely due to the many amounts of fruits I had been eating lately..

Did you eat any fruits? I think my cysts on the jawline could be completely due to the many amounts of fruits I had been eating lately..

Exactly what happens to me when I overdo fruits. They never form to a head or anything and often are just dark red marks which on occasion are deep cysts that eventually disappear when I taper down or cut out fruit. I also get them from apples and other acidic fruits, esp. when eaten alone (no matter my fruit intake; haven't tested this in a while though).

Exactly what happens to me when I overdo fruits. They never form to a head or anything and often are just dark red marks which on occasion are deep cysts that eventually disappear when I taper down or cut out fruit. I also get them from apples and other acidic fruits, esp. when eaten alone (no matter my fruit intake; haven't tested this in a while though).

I think that's it! The acidic fruits! I am going to try and find which fruits have the lowest acidity and just cut down on them too.

Before I cut out gluten the majority of my bad zits were on my cheeks, the apples, and under my eyes - the under the eye ones made me crazy.

I still get jawline zits when my hormones go wacko - I also crave chocolate when my hormones go wacko. One of the best solutions I've found for this is a massive plate of greens, or green smoothies. That pretty much kills the chocolate craving, indicating a magnesium deficiency.

Ayla... you sound like you have the same problem I usually have with the bad zits on and around your cheekbones. :[ I discovered a new one there, near where old ones were before, just this morning.

I don't know what I did, but I've GOT to fix this, seriously. It is KILLING me to look like this ALL the time.

Jawline seems to be milk and bread for me. Cut out milk/dairy 100% and its gone. Bread I try to but some times I am not able to 100% and get 1-2 small on my jawline near the sides of my mouth.

Well the jawline and chin spots I got turned out to be just regular zits that started out very suspiciously. However, I'm pretty sure this spot on my cheekbone is definitely a cyst. I feel so ugly. :[

I might fast for awhile and see if that helps, maybe... I'll do pretty much anything at this point.

Wow so it's been a while. Mostly because for awhile I had NO CYSTS. Yay. I only had 'regular zits', so I've been having more fun and trying really hard to just enjoy life and not worry so much. Things have been better with my family and my boyfriend lately and I've even stayed over at his house (meaning that he saw me mostly without makeup for some of that time!). I've been more outgoing and had far less anxiety issues. But this morning I woke up to find a hideous cyst on my right cheek. :( So I'm back here looking for an answer, with a vengeance. Yesterday it looked like there was NOTHING there. It literally cropped up overnight.

Causes?!

Diet..... yesterday I had chocolate muffins for breakfast, then ate nothing all day until last night when I had a small chicken salad sandwich. I drank nothing but water and possibly juice.

Hormonal..... haven't had my period in awhile, which isn't abnormal for me. It always skips around and shows up randomly.

Stress/anxiety..... always present. I sincerely believe I suffer from depression/anxiety but since my mom doesn't believe me and we can't afford medication/treatment anyway, I can't do much about it. But I've been trying really hard to get a job lately and... OH. I did cry a little bit yesterday. I've heard that crying can kind of lead to a breakout because of inflamed skin and the obvious emotional-ness of it.

Genetic. Duh. My parents both had acne and so does my sister. My brother probably will, too, once he's older.

Picking..... don't think this is it. Just yesterday I was thinking "Oh well at least my right side looks okay", so I had no need/desire to mess with it. So of course I wake up this morning to realize that no, in fact, BOTH sides of my face look like shit. Awesome. :(

I wonder what the best thing to do would be. After I realized it was there, I freaked out and started crying and of course, I couldn't keep myself from picking at it. Since then I have been drowning it in tea tree oil and holding a tissue to it. I'm trying not to touch it, but it hurts and itches and I know I haven't killed it yet. This one is here for the long haul, it seems. :cry: I'm SO frustrated right now. I feel so helpless and no one seems to get it. Whenever I break out like this I feel so worthless and ugly and depressed that I kind of put my life on hold and hide in my room for days. I just hate knowing that it will be there for a long time and nothing I do will change that. It kills me to have absolutely no control over something like that.

GRRRRRR. I wish there was a cure. Or at least more concern for acne in the medical world. No one seems to take it seriously but it's beyond vanity... this is an emotionally scarring disease. I wish I could DO something, you know...?

Wow so it's been a while. Mostly because for awhile I had NO CYSTS. Yay. I only had 'regular zits', so I've been having more fun and trying really hard to just enjoy life and not worry so much. Things have been better with my family and my boyfriend lately and I've even stayed over at his house (meaning that he saw me mostly without makeup for some of that time!). I've been more outgoing and had far less anxiety issues. But this morning I woke up to find a hideous cyst on my right cheek. :( So I'm back here looking for an answer, with a vengeance. Yesterday it looked like there was NOTHING there. It literally cropped up overnight.

Causes?!

Diet..... yesterday I had chocolate muffins for breakfast, then ate nothing all day until last night when I had a small chicken salad sandwich. I drank nothing but water and possibly juice.

Hormonal..... haven't had my period in awhile, which isn't abnormal for me. It always skips around and shows up randomly.

Stress/anxiety..... always present. I sincerely believe I suffer from depression/anxiety but since my mom doesn't believe me and we can't afford medication/treatment anyway, I can't do much about it. But I've been trying really hard to get a job lately and... OH. I did cry a little bit yesterday. I've heard that crying can kind of lead to a breakout because of inflamed skin and the obvious emotional-ness of it.

Genetic. Duh. My parents both had acne and so does my sister. My brother probably will, too, once he's older.

Picking..... don't think this is it. Just yesterday I was thinking "Oh well at least my right side looks okay", so I had no need/desire to mess with it. So of course I wake up this morning to realize that no, in fact, BOTH sides of my face look like shit. Awesome. :(

I wonder what the best thing to do would be. After I realized it was there, I freaked out and started crying and of course, I couldn't keep myself from picking at it. Since then I have been drowning it in tea tree oil and holding a tissue to it. I'm trying not to touch it, but it hurts and itches and I know I haven't killed it yet. This one is here for the long haul, it seems. :cry: I'm SO frustrated right now. I feel so helpless and no one seems to get it. Whenever I break out like this I feel so worthless and ugly and depressed that I kind of put my life on hold and hide in my room for days. I just hate knowing that it will be there for a long time and nothing I do will change that. It kills me to have absolutely no control over something like that.

GRRRRRR. I wish there was a cure. Or at least more concern for acne in the medical world. No one seems to take it seriously but it's beyond vanity... this is an emotionally scarring disease. I wish I could DO something, you know...?

The biggest food allergies that affect me are:

wheat/gluten --> red itchy spots on cheeks & cysts on t-zone and jaw

dairy --> pus filled pimples

eating whole citrus (not including lemon juice) --> red spots

excessive sugar --> tinea/candida --> itchy neck spots, comodones & jawline cysts

I feel like there might be one other missing link that affects my hormones, because my skin always gets super clear after my period. I'm determined to figure it out. Eating more alkaline (greens) and anti-inflammatory foods seems to help a lot.

Have you been to www.StopPickingOnMe.com? That helped me tremendously because I found the correlation between various things and when I pick, how it was damaging my skin, etc. It even talks about a 12 step program. It's like a book in a website, so you might not finish the whole thing in one sitting, but it's really useful.

It's true that the general public doesn't seem to take acne seriously and thinks it's a vanity issue - it makes me angry, but I've come to accept that they'll never truly understand it if they haven't lived with it. Frank Kerr talks a lot about the mental/emotional parts of healing acne on her blog as well as physical treatments: www.highonhealth.org.

Hope this helps!