Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lebeck

My Shiny New Sotret Log

Hey guys and gals,

I'm 24F, and happy to say that after a long an arduous battle trying to get the drug, I think today is the day I can finally pop that first pill. (Derm has me on 30mg Sotret to start). I had to jump through some serious flaming hoops to get here. This log is intended to help me track my personal journey (cue adventurous score, indiana jones theme song would suffice), to help me vent where needed (such as today's post), and to keep track of any side effects.

Soo it seems a distant memory now, hearing the glorious words from my derm: "you need accutane," its been nearly two months and I have yet to officially start my course of treatment. Hoping today's the day. A few weeks after that first derm visit, the office claimed they had messed up my blood test results, so I had to wait an additional 30 days. Ok, fine. After my second bloodtest, I got my script. On the magical day I was supposed to get my script filled, I checked iPledge and no window had appeared yet. Call the derm- and a woman put me on and off hold for about a half hour, saying she has to look for my chart so she can have it in front of her. Perhaps the derm gnomes hid it from her, cause she had to call me back. The next day, I call them back, and I finally got someone to plug in my iPledge info so I can get my window.

At last! I go to the pharmacy, and they claim someone at the derm office entered my birthdate wrong into iPledge, so I'd have to wait. Oh the blood is boiling at this point. The next day I get that cleared up, but now they are saying I need pre-authorization from my insurance company. 3 days later, I call my insurance co, making sure the derm called in the request for pre-authorization, and they said they received no such request.

First of all, isn't pre-authorization something that the dermatologist office knows needs to happen with this drug? If so, this is something that should have been cleared up before I get to the pharmacy, right? Am I going mad or are monkeys really running my small manhattan derm office? :evil:

Today's status: I called the derm again. I told them this must get cleared today, because my window is about to close, and if I get locked out, it will be another 2 weeks before I can start the whole bloody process over again (2 blood tests and a 30 day waiting period, a grand total of 6 weeks before I might be able to get the drug).

Needless to say this day has me on the edge of my seat. Any advice would surely be appreciated. I think I will wind up switching derms. The doc is great n all, but the incompetence of his staff has me absolutely speechless.

Stay tuned.

I had huge problems like that when I first started. It seems, though, that even my crappy insurance only had to do the prior authorization for the first month. It should be smooth(er) sailing when you get into your treatment.

Good luck!

My steadfast harassment has finally paid off!!! After some additional hurdles, I finally got the green light to pick up my prescription.

Tonight at dinner, I downed my first pill and couldn't contain my glee. I have to admit the packaging did make me laugh, I like how when you rip open a pill, out pops a small cardboard token with the do-not-get-preggers-lady stamp.

DAY ONE: Well my skin looks like ass of course. Can I say that here? Ah screw it. It looks like ass that's been soaking in a thick vat of oil. I look forward to getting my picture taken in the future, where the flash doesn't reflect off of my shiny face and blind everybody in the room.

Thanks Mezzo-- glad this only has to happen once. Look forward to smooth sailing, and maybe one day feeling the breeze on my [clear and freaking fantastically gorgeous] skin.

Unless something particularly significant arises, I'll probably only do weekly updates. We shall see. :D

Wow, what a pain in the ass just to get your medication! I hope that doesn't happen to me :redface:

At least now you have your medication and you can get on track to nice skin! Good luck to you!

Soo I said I wouldn't post every day, but eh. I woke up with a killer headache and stiff neck today, but I'm attributing that to the new glasses prescription I just got.

I posted a pic of my "now," taken on my cell. My face is seriously not been as bad as usual.. this is more like the eye before the storm. I bought the whoole line of Tea Tree Oil at the Body Shop, and the night lotion has made a tremendous difference in red marks. I've got a only a couple cysts on my forehead, I'm usually riddled with them, so this makes me happy. I'll start showing the whole face when I get brave enough ;)

Over the past 14 years or so I've gotten extremely good at applying cover up, it helps that I'm a freelance artist so I tend to be rather good with a brush. I also have bangs which conveniently hide my forehead. I can't imagine what it would feel like to walk outside with naked skin!!

What I look forward to almost even more is my back clearing up-- I never have less than like 5 cysts at a time, and they hurt like a mo fo, and I hate not being able to wear cute tank tops.

post-104732-1247250917_thumb.jpg

post-104732-1247250917_thumb.jpg

Ugh, I totally know how you feel w/ an incompentent derm staff, but a good doctor. I had to get my bloodwork done 3 times before I could start. I really think they just never entered it. Super frustrating isn't it? I'm taking 60 mgs of sotret myself and am a month in. Some days are better than others, just stick with it though. Good luck with your course!

Its kind of funny because im currently living in brazil and my derm basically handed my prescription over on a silver platter. He didnt even make me do a bood test before getting the pills (kind of sketchy) he just told me that i could start the very next day but that i would need to get my blood work done asap and set up an appointment with him the next week. Either way good luck to the both of us.

accutane is really good drug but im starting to recieve breakouts after 6 months post accutane so i mite needa second course and damn i dont wanna go through with it again lol

Hey lebeck,

The only reason I started accutane was to get rid of my cystic acne. Cystic acne is horrible but acctuane will take care of it. I am currently 3 months in my treatment and I have no cyst at all. My face is very smooth, I can't even believe its my face. I wish you the best of luck!

1 WEEK IN

hey all, a bit of a long one here, but time for an update. So about a week in, acne's about the same, but oil production's slowing a bit it seems. I still have a shiny reflective face, but I'd say its more of a dull shine rather than high gloss. Face has the consistency of oily sandpaper. Strange. Lips are not nearly dry enough to start complaining about them yet, haha. I do have bloody boogers though. And my overall skin feels like its gotten more sensitive already; it feels hot and sensitive to the touch, like I'm feverish or have a sunburn. I did get exposed to the sun, but no telltale pink skin indicating a sunburn. Also, I'm drinking way more water than normally, but can't manage to get clear peepee! Unknown if its a Sotret connection. Regardless everything's great and this week flew by :dance:

Anyone recommend a good face moisturizer? Every brand I've tried so far leaves me feeling greasy, and the ones that don't leave me greasy end up making me flaky (I have combo skin). I have yet to find a happy medium. Yet to find a good regimen but since skin is changing I might want to hold off. Right now I'm holding off on the Tea Tree Oil line, and using the basis sensitive skin bar soap. Can I just say that cysts need to learn that they are not welcome. I had to have one surgically removed once, it was so persistent.

-----

Musicmama-- yeah its super frustrating. On top of all the shenanigans the office is pulling, they just sent me a huge bill which insurance was supposed to cover. You seemed to have had a shaky start as well, but starting off on the wrong foot doesn't mean you can't dance :wiggle: lets hope for smoother derm transactions.

Jordanmac7-- you're lucky to be male, from what I hear there are less hoops. Seems almost too easy, but at least your derm didn't hand you the drug in a dark alley somewhere :unsure: good luck to us!!

Locolife357-- I'm sorry to hear about your breakouts post tane, its enough to go through it just once! I guess its all a gamble with this drug. I hope you enjoyed the time you had clear skin, if only briefly, I know I'd kill for a day of naked clear skin. I hope it works out for you!

Pedro-- I remember checking out your log a while back, before I signed up for this shindig. You have great results, must be so foreign to touch your face and not feel mountainous terrain on there! I look forward to being where you're at now, best of luck in your continued course!!

Yeah at first I was thinking that he was kind of shady but I think they just dont have as many restrictions down here with accutane

DAY 10

Had a bit of a scare with insurance, they claimed they weren't going to cover my derm appointments anymore, but sorted that out. whew.

Things are okay so far, all the stuff I mentioned before about the sensation of having hot skin, bloody boogers, ect (I spared no details), have gone away. I think the hot skin was because I had been exposed to the sun, even though I didn't burn. Only thing now is my face is still oily as frick, and my lips are a tiny bit dry. Getting some deep under-skin cysts, but they aren't really visible to the naked eye, only when the lighting casts shadows on my forehead from them haha. Red marks are fading and old zits are clearing.

I had a job on a production shoot a couple days ago, and felt like an awkward zit-faced adolescent. It sucks being an adult and not feeling like one. I was surrounded by smooth-faced, ridiculously gorgeous, modelesque people that I wanted to cast my acne spell unto them. mwa hahaa. Or trip one of them. I couldn't decide which.

Hey there, sounds like we started Accutane at about the same time, and we're close in age, too. My skin looks similar to yours, from the photo you posted. I hope it works the miracle we are both hoping for!

And I know EXACTLY what you mean about feeling like an awkward zit-faced adolescent around smooth-skinned adults. Glad I'm not the only one. The other day we had a company meeting. I looked around the room and saw ONE guy with severe acne. I almost walked over and hugged him.

DAY 13

An unlucky number, makes sense, cause this day is crap. My scalp itched like mad today, even though I'm using Head and Shoulders, and my hair's texture is really dry (even though I haven't washed it since Sunday.) The last few days its been shedding way more than usual, which has me extremely disturbed, if it turns out I'm getting hair loss as a result of this medication, I'm going to have to stop, and I've been through so much just to get here. I put on some "hair mayo" stuff I bought, and I've now traded an itchy scalp to a burny scalp. Owy. I also bought a multi-vitamin for hair health, which has some Biotin and Zinc and various other ingredients in it (no Vitamin A, I made sure. Does have some trace elements of beta-carotene but that should be fine since its water soluble). I doubt these will do shit, but whatevs. :mellow:

Skin is eh. Its pretty red and sensitive. Have some more deep big mama cysts, which you can't see too easily with the naked eye, but when I make faces they make their presence known (ouch).

Speaking of making faces, here's one. Bah.

[.jpg]

Edited by lebeck

Thanks Jmac, I like them too :boogie:

I failed to mention that in the background of that pic, you can see my bunkbed. Yes, I'm 24, living in a cramped little apartment with 3 other roommates, and I sleep in the top bunk, go me. In this city space is um, limited so to speak.

George's Sis -- I have high hope's for this drug. I already see improvement on your end, woo! Cool to have someone similar in age/skintype to track progress with. One fine day we will blend seamlessly into the sea of smooth-faced people that surround us.

One fine day we will blend seamlessly into the sea of smooth-faced people that surround us.

That's very poetic! I think I'll put it in my sig.

No way, the other day I had a super itchy scalp too. Whenever I visit the derm next, I'll ask if there is any chance of the hair loss being permanent. Because if it's not permanent, I can deal.

I like your picture. It's good to see someone with a sense of humor, cool glasses AND similar skin! Haha!

I hope the hair loss isn't too serious so you can go on with the treatment. It will work wonders on you. I like your picture. :) I hate taking pictures so I also always make faces. Good luck =)

G sis, woohoo I've been quoted! I feel special. Let me know what your derm says about hairloss, I doubt its permanent, maybe only in rare cases. Pedro, its so foreign to me to snap a photo of myself without loads of coverup on. Making faces somehow makes it bearable. I'm hoping my body's just freaking out since I'm spoon feeding it poison, and soon it will chill out. Thanks for the support.

Yeah I'll keep an eye on the hair shedding, it seems to be a little less today but there are other things now that are more bothersome...

WEEK 2

This kept me up all night. The hot/burny weird skin sensation I experienced earlier has come back full force, and now I know its definitely not from sun exposure (haven't gone outside, its been raining for days.) It was so uncomfortable last night I almost felt sick. Its not localized, its like my whole body mostly my arms and face. I thought it was a reaction to some lotion I put on, so I washed it off with cold water at like 4am and that helped temporarily. Had some hot/cold flashes along with it. I'd love to hear if anyone else has experienced something like this, I didn't see anything in the message boards. Maybe I'll make a separate post about it, doesn't sound bad but it was sooo uncomfortable, it felt like someone slathered my arms in vick's vapor rub.

IB? Sure, why not. Everything else is the same, though itchy scalp is gone :dance:

woohoo! the mysterious vick's vapor rub arm sensations are nearly gone! today is much better. no new breakouts, and some of the old ones I had shrunk a bit almost magically overnight.

I've kind of noticed in posting that I tend to focus on the negative a bit too much, which is another reason I like having this log, so I can notice stuff like that. The more positive the outlook I think the better off I'll be. To the wind!

DAY 16

Gsis- I ended up not using lotion after I showered, and that actually made the burny sensations go away. Yeey!

Baaaaah! Positive attitude or not, its hard to avoid the fact that I just don't think my body's responding well to this drug.. I seem to have traded my previous side effects for a troublesome and persistent headache (painkillers and lots of water and eye drops won't cure). Yeey! For a few days now it's felt like tons of pressure, with localized pain near my right temple, coupled with a wee bit of tinnitus. I feel lethargic from it all. Yeey! (again, with my new positive attitude shining through). Hoping its nothing serious, but I'll probably skip my dose today and see what happens. Derm appointment is Tuesday, so we'll see what he says!

Well the side effects are to be expected..all we can do is try to deal with them the best we can by drinking plenty of water and all the other good tips. But I wouldnt skip your dosage. Look at it from my point of view. The sooner you take all your pills during the course..the sooner you will have clear skin.

Thanks for the advice. I kind of needed to hear that. I wasn't sure headaches were a common side effect, but I suppose they must be, and I suppose I should be more concerned if it were more of a blinding pain, which it's not.

I think in my case, I'm just really not used to feeling lousy. I've always valued my health and stayed healthy with exercise and eating well, so I'm honestly a little freaked out by seeing the physical effects of this. I'll keep on top of my dosage, monitor the headaches, and think nothing more of it.

Thanks again, Jmac :angel: