Notifications
Clear all

Niacin is AMAZING for acne!

MemberMember
(@swits)

Posted : 07/09/2009 11:21 am

This was posted in the adult acne forum but I decided to make a thread here because i think it needs more attention and we need more people to try this. Anyways I've been taking Niacin for about a week and its giving me very good results. It's tightening my pores, i get less oil, and i just dont break out anymore. I've literally only had 2 pimples this whole week and they were so small that they disappeared once i popped them. When you take Niacin you get this thing called the niacin "flush" which is your body giving you a signal that you are detoxing. Basically what Niacin does is widen the capillaries around your entire body and including your skin.

Wider capillaries = more blood flow to the skin = healthy skin

Niacin also plays a role in liver function and aids the liver in metabolizing toxins. Here is some more info on Niacin

The role of niacin in detoxification

Niacin opens blood vessels wider. Niacin, when used properly, offers benefits in terms of cholesterol reduction, as well as for detoxification. People with high cholesterol levels should see improvements once their follow the proper diet of raw foods, preferably through a good juicing program, along with the proper healing fats in their diet. However for people who don't respond, it would seem that niacin would be a far safer and less expensive alternative to the statin drugs, which have their serious complications.

Niacin is a water-soluble B vitamin a vitamin B3 - and the common name for 2 very different compounds: "nicotinic acid" and "niacinamide". High doses of niacin (as nicotinic acid) can lower cholesterol levels (although the exact mechanism of action is still not known). The other form of niacin (nicotinamide or niacinamide) does not open blood vessels wider nor provide a cholesterol-lowering effect.

Niacin and detoxification of fatty tissues

There are many 'detoxification programs' on the internet, but few of them acknowledge the significant fact that many toxins are stored in FATTY TISSUES. Until that fact is acknowledged, one can not develop a procedure for removing toxins from THAT location.

niacin and fatty tissue

Until the Ron Hubbard purification program was developed, no one had even yet recognized that these oil soluble toxins had such long-term effects in the body.

An important characteristic of the Hubbard detoxification program is the use of niacin. Niacin has the well-known effect of causing "vasodilation", often called the niacin flush, which is an opening of the small blood vessels, the capillaries, so that more blood flows through them. These are the blood vessels which are of most value in reaching fatty tissues. In this way the toxins which are stored in these fatty tissues can be removed, into the bloodstream, and processed out of the body. However, niacin is also made in the form of niacinamide - a form of vitamin B3 which, deliberately, is manufactured so that it will NOT cause dilation of the blood vessels - the flush so well known when using plain niacin. A detoxification program which features the use of niacinamide and also claims to improve blood circulation would be based on false science.

Some detoxification programs don't even recognize that the toxins they claim to be removing are stored in fatty tissues. The idea of removing these toxins by some procedure which does not include niacin is not practical.

The niacin "flush"

It's important to note that this niacin flush is not harmful or dangerous. Some people worry about it, but it is actually a sign of improved blood flow.

When you get the niacin "flush", it's an indication that the niacin is causing small blood vessels in your body to be expanded in size. Many of your small blood vessels, called "capilaries" are so small that blood cells can only go through them in single file. Sometimes, in fact, that small capilary passageway is clogged and blood doesn't get through at all.

niacin and capillaries

While the large organs of the body all have blood supplied from large arteries, a great deal of your body, particularly the parts near the skin, get their ONLY supply of blood (therefore also of oxygen and nutrients) from these small capillaries.

The niacin causes these small capilaries to expand - so they might be able to carry 2 or 3 blood cells at the same time. This is a tremendous increase in blood flow.

You experience this as a "flushing" of the skin, simply because there is more blood close to the surface of the body. As the blood flows in these areas, the cells of the small capilaries will also be getting rid of their waste products, and often they produce 'histamine' as part of this process. That histamine is another natural substance produced by every cell in the body when a cell is under attack, or is eliminating toxins. Histamine causes an 'itchy' feeling.

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/niacin.htm

If anyone wants to start taking niacin DO NOT GET THE NON FLUSHING KIND (niacinimide). You want the flush because it means that your widening your capillaries. Niacinimide will not widen your capillaries and you probably wont get results. Also don't buy the time released ones either. I just went to my local grocery store and bought 500mg tablets of Niacin for 5 dollars, its really cheap. When you start your gonna wanna take 100mg for 3 days, then 200-300mg for another 3 days, and then try taking 400-500mg. When you get to the higher doses you'll definitely experience the flush. If you're wondering what the flush feels like, it feels like nice hot sunburn all over your body with a little bit of tingly itchiness. Usually i can feel blood rushing to my head and it may get pretty intense. You just gotta do something (i play guitar) to keep your mind off of things for 30-60 minutes.

I definitely think more people should be trying Niacin because its a very cheap supplement with good results and it doesn't require a strict diet at all. Right now I'm also taking 50mg of zinc and fish oil but I've been doing that for months and I haven't had good results since taking niacin.

MemberMember
(@dsrfgsertwe)

Posted : 07/09/2009 12:23 pm

omg i take this when my breakouts get bad! the flush is horrible, but your skin does clear up. just take it right before you go to bed so people don't wonder what's wrong with you haha

MemberMember
(@brittbrat4416)

Posted : 07/09/2009 12:39 pm

Forgive me for being skeptical but the article makes no mention of this detox being beneficial for acne. Where did you find info saying that it is? I'm all for natural acne cures that have valid claims, I'm just wondering if there is actual evidence to support your claim.

MemberMember
(@swits)

Posted : 07/09/2009 12:48 pm

theres not much evidence of niacin helping with acne. but there are some prescription topicals that are formulated with niacin that are very beneficial for acne. i found a testimonial that said it also works for acne.

http://yarchive.net/med/niacin.html

Newsgroups: sci.med

Subject: Re: Question about Niacin (Vitamin B3)

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 1734 -0800

Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Kiddo wrote in message ...

>Well, as helpful as this reply was. Its not what I'm looking for. First of,

>I'm not using Niacin to lower my cholesterol. I'm using it to combat acne,

>and its doing a damn good job, first time since I was 12 that I haven't had

>a single new spot in over a week. This MUST be due to the more efficient

>exchange of nutrients/toxins between the cells of my skin and the blood

>(Dilated capillaries, more blood flow to surface of the skin = takes more

>toxins away, gives more nutrients). So, basically I WANT the flush. Its

>helping my face to wonders. Combined with MSM (MSM causes your cell walls to

>"put out" toxins easier, and "take in" nutrients easier) this is the best

>cure for acne I have ever tried (and believe me, I've tried a lot of them,

>almost everything except Accutane, yuck cant believe that shit is legal).

>

>Regardless, so what I need to know is:

>

>Will my capillaries stay dilated even after (example, guess) 3 grams doesn't

>cause a flush?

Short answer: I don't know. Longer answer: I'm not sure that knowing

matters. Don't assume that even if niacin has an empirically salutary effect

on your acne, that that has *anything* to do with the flush or the histamine

release. In fact that last has to be somebody else's *assumption*; it's not

a fact you can get out of the medical literature. There may be no

association between the two effects. Acne is not just an infection-- it's

also an autoimmune reaction which is damped by immune modulators, and also

it's very responsive to things that change the texture and content of sebum

(oils in the diet, dietary B5 and biotin, etc). Niacin may be doing

something on its own in that direction.

Beware of quack explanations. They'll fasten onto the one thing they know

about a vitamin (dilates capillaries) and then use that to "explain" every

other use they want to put the stuff to. I've seen niacin recommended for

brain aging on the assumption that perhaps it increases brain blood flow

because of capillary dilation!

I suggest only that you don't go too far over 500 mg a day of niacin without

regular blood checks for liver toxicity, exactly as if you were using the

stuff for cholesterol inhibition.

and yeah if you're gonna take niacin, take it before you go to bed or an hour before bed. just make sure you stay inside and away from the sun because theres gonna be rashes all over your body for like 30-60 minutes. you really shouldnt be afraid of the flush, it might freak you out a little, but it completely goes away and you'll know when its done.

MemberMember
(@rockstarnailbomb)

Posted : 07/09/2009 12:53 pm

and yeah if you're gonna take niacin, take it before you go to bed or an hour before bed. just make sure you stay inside and away from the sun because theres gonna be rashes all over your body for like 30-60 minutes. you really shouldnt be afraid of the flush, it might freak you out a little, but it completely goes away and you'll know when its done.

I have sebbhoreic dermatitis, and was wondering if this would help at all? The seb derm means i flush all in my T-zone, pretty much where i have oil. When my face is non-oily(after a shower) my skin is not flushed, but as soon as the oil starts coming out it get really red. I want to take niacin to help get rid of the small amount of acne i have but i need to make sure it won't make my seb derm worse.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/09/2009 12:59 pm

theres not much evidence of niacin helping with acne. but there are some prescription topicals that are formulated with niacin that are very beneficial for acne. i found a testimonial that said it also works for acne.

Yes. There's nicomide. And it does not cause flushing. It contains niacinimide. And all I've seen about research finding niacin benefiting acne, it's done on niacinimide.

And you don't want the flushing if you have rosacea.

MemberMember
(@rsxboi)

Posted : 07/12/2009 1:54 am

so how do I know which one has the flush?....

MemberMember
(@someday)

Posted : 07/12/2009 4:00 am

The label usually says "flush-free" or "no flush" if it is.

Just to point out too that the OP in the thread on the Adult acne forum got clear using 500mg no-flush Niacin...

MemberMember
(@swits)

Posted : 07/12/2009 6:46 pm

so how do I know which one has the flush?....

avoid any bottles that say no flush or check the back label to make sure that you're not taking niacinamide

MemberMember
(@zenergy)

Posted : 07/13/2009 10:42 am

avoid any bottles that say no flush or check the back label to make sure that you're not taking niacinamide

MemberMember
(@thestrongwillprevail)

Posted : 07/13/2009 11:43 am

in theory you want the flush because it opens your blood vessels and releases toxins in such a way that the flush free does not, Im considering starting 250mg niacin today, anyone think this is a bad idea to take with 1.5 g b5 and 1 gram Cysteine. I do not plan on upping my b5 dose but i kinda want to try this niacin stuff out.

MemberMember
(@rockstarnailbomb)

Posted : 07/13/2009 4:35 pm

in theory you want the flush because it opens your blood vessels and releases toxins in such a way that the flush free does not, Im considering starting 250mg niacin today, anyone think this is a bad idea to take with 1.5 g b5 and 1 gram Cysteine. I do not plan on upping my b5 dose but i kinda want to try this niacin stuff out.

well i was reading that their is no correlation to the flush and it clearing your acne. the scientists think that its the reduction in triglycerides in your blood that make your sebum thinner and less likely to clog pores.

MemberMember
(@thestrongwillprevail)

Posted : 07/13/2009 6:10 pm

i take back my previous assumption, upon research i also saw no correlation between the flush and acne, i started with 500mg niacin today( no flush) but its not niccamide(spelled wrong), will see what happens, if i have no progress ill bring on the niacin that flushes.

MemberMember
(@douchebag44rocketmail-com)

Posted : 07/13/2009 8:01 pm

Skin flushing is the most commonly reported side effect.

It lasts for about 15 to 30 minutes, and is sometimes accompanied by a prickly or itching sensation, particularly in areas covered by clothing.

This effect is mediated by prostaglandin and can be blocked by taking 300 mg of aspirin half an hour before taking niacin, or by taking one tablet of ibuprofen per day.

Taking the niacin with meals also helps reduce this side effect.

After 1 to 2 weeks of a stable dose, most patients no longer flush.[citation needed] Slow- or "sustained"-release forms of niacin have been developed to lessen these side-effects.

One study showed the incidence of flushing was significantly lower with a sustained release formulation though doses above 2 g per day have been associated with liver damage, particularly with slow-release formulations.

High-dose niacin may also elevate blood sugar, thereby worsening diabetes mellitus.

Hyperuricemia is another side-effect of taking high-dose niacin, and may exacerbate gout.

Niacin at doses used in lowering cholesterol has been associated with birth defects in laboratory animals, with possible consequences for infant development in pregnant women.

Niacin at extremely high doses can have life-threatening acute toxic reactions.

Extremely high doses of niacin can also cause niacin maculopathy, a thickening of the macula and retina which leads to blurred vision and blindness. This maculopathy is reversible after stopping niacin intake.

Not my words.... wikipedias.

I think im gonna start of at 100mg n see if it how it goes, ugh my oily skin is just plain embarrassing .

MemberMember
(@swits)

Posted : 07/14/2009 10:44 am

what are "high doses"? i plan to not exceed 500mg. I'm guessing a high dose would be like 2 grams. Ive read that some people take 3 grams and don't flush.

MemberMember
(@douchebag44rocketmail-com)

Posted : 07/14/2009 11:06 am

what are "high doses"? i plan to not exceed 500mg. I'm guessing a high dose would be like 2 grams. Ive read that some people take 3 grams and don't flush.

Ya im gueesing "high dosage" is prolly 1-2mg+ that kinda thing.

MemberMember
(@deadonfive)

Posted : 07/14/2009 11:26 am

well i was reading that their is no correlation to the flush and it clearing your acne. the scientists think that its the reduction in triglycerides in your blood that make your sebum thinner and less likely to clog pores.

That sounds odd though, I don't think a vitamin could lower triglycerides that quickly. For the people that Niacin worked for, they saw a difference immediately. I think that the increased blood flow could have alot to do with it - it'd probably work for people whose skin clears up with exercise, because both have to do with increased circulation. I'm hypothyroid and always have cold hands and feet; I'm going to try the flushing Niacin to see if it helps with that.

MemberMember
(@thestrongwillprevail)

Posted : 07/14/2009 1:11 pm

the only thing is that the original poster of this on the adult acne section saw results from 500mg no flush niacin, he even posted once again a month later saying it was still working, no flush yet positive results, im on day two of no flush 500mg inositol hexanicotinate (niacin), ill post my results in a few days

MemberMember
(@deadonfive)

Posted : 07/14/2009 1:40 pm

I agree, the fact that the OP in the adult forum used a no-flush stumped me. But I still think it doesn't have much to do with cholesterol; perhaps he just had a bad vitamin-B3 deficiency instead. I did a google search on the symptoms of B3 deficiency:

* Poor circulation

* Skin Leisons, Acne, coarse skin

* Dizziness (Hypotension/Low blood pressure) and ringing ears

* Irritability

* Fatigue

* Headaches

* Loss of appetite

* Mild depression

* Canker sores

"(Niacin- Vitamin B-3) dilates blood vessels, thus increasing circulation and reducing high blood pressure. It significantly lowers blood cholesterol and triglycerides. It improves resistance to stress; regulates blood sugar; treats dizziness and ringing in the ears. It helps prevent depression, mental illness, and migraine headaches. It aids in the functioning of the nervous system; helps eliminate canker sores and bad breath. Niacinamide (Niacin- Vitamin B-3) protects against pollutants and toxins; gives you healthier looking skin and stimulates the sex drive."

MemberMember
(@rockstarnailbomb)

Posted : 07/14/2009 9:43 pm

I agree, the fact that the OP in the adult forum used a no-flush stumped me. But I still think it doesn't have much to do with cholesterol; perhaps he just had a bad vitamin-B3 deficiency instead. I did a google search on the symptoms of B3 deficiency:

* Poor circulation

* Skin Leisons, Acne, coarse skin

* Dizziness (Hypotension/Low blood pressure) and ringing ears

* Irritability

* Fatigue

* Headaches

* Loss of appetite

* Mild depression

* Canker sores

"(Niacin- Vitamin B-3) dilates blood vessels, thus increasing circulation and reducing high blood pressure. It significantly lowers blood cholesterol and triglycerides. It improves resistance to stress; regulates blood sugar; treats dizziness and ringing in the ears. It helps prevent depression, mental illness, and migraine headaches. It aids in the functioning of the nervous system; helps eliminate canker sores and bad breath. Niacinamide (Niacin- Vitamin B-3) protects against pollutants and toxins; gives you healthier looking skin and stimulates the sex drive."

Thanks for the info, If i could +rep you i would. I still don't think it has to do with increased circulation. Think about people with rosacea, they have pustules and papules and their face is always red because of circulation. Circulation is not always a good thing.

MemberMember
(@swits)

Posted : 07/14/2009 9:49 pm

Hmmm... I guess I'll have to reconsider about taking no flush niacin. can someone then please post their results with no flush niacin? it would be great to compare results to see which one seems to be more effective. see the way i see it is that the niacin flush opens your capillaries, which are small enough to let only one tiny cell through, and makes it double the size. bigger capillaries means that there is a better chance of toxins being broken down and flow into the blood stream.

feel kinda down about saying this, but i had a small breakout on my cheeks. i think it was because i pick and squeeze too much. i used to breakout a lot along my jawline and that is clearing up pretty well and all my marks are fading. im gonna start taking 500 mg and ill be more careful with touching my skin next time.

MemberMember
(@lexxie)

Posted : 07/14/2009 10:21 pm

edit

MemberMember
(@deadonfive)

Posted : 07/15/2009 7:26 am

Thanks for the info, If i could +rep you i would. I still don't think it has to do with increased circulation. Think about people with rosacea, they have pustules and papules and their face is always red because of circulation. Circulation is not always a good thing.

I didn't say that it would work for rosacea. Rosacea is probably a symptom of something else (and possibly the redness could partially be a result of inflammation, instead of over-circulation.) I said that Niacin might be worth a try for people whose acne clears up with exercise, or otherwise have bad circulation problems. There isn't any one pill that will clear up everybody's skin issues.

MemberMember
(@rockstarnailbomb)

Posted : 07/15/2009 9:41 am

I didn't say that it would work for rosacea. Rosacea is probably a symptom of something else (and possibly the redness could partially be a result of inflammation, instead of over-circulation.) I said that Niacin might be worth a try for people whose acne clears up with exercise, or otherwise have bad circulation problems. There isn't any one pill that will clear up everybody's skin issues.

Rosacea is pretty much chronic over-circulation. The blood vessels in the face are always open because various reasons. The point is, the flush with niacin is comparative to a flush from rosacea. Both include widened blood vessels and if you were to flush long enough from the niacin, you would experience rosacea-like symptoms. If the increased circulation cured acne, than all people would have to do is run everyday. When i run, my face is red and full of circulation, but that has never cured my acne nor has it cured anyone elses. Niacin, however, has cured peoples acne.

I might be wrong, I am not a pharmacist or a dermatologist but its just common sense.

MemberMember
(@deadonfive)

Posted : 07/15/2009 10:54 am

Rosacea is pretty much chronic over-circulation. The blood vessels in the face are always open because various reasons. The point is, the flush with niacin is comparative to a flush from rosacea. Both include widened blood vessels and if you were to flush long enough from the niacin, you would experience rosacea-like symptoms. If the increased circulation cured acne, than all people would have to do is run everyday. When i run, my face is red and full of circulation, but that has never cured my acne nor has it cured anyone elses. Niacin, however, has cured peoples acne.

I might be wrong, I am not a pharmacist or a dermatologist but its just common sense.

I've already stated that circulation will not "cure" everyone's acne.