Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
strato

Had my homones tested. Everything is perfect which means what?

This is kinda an addendum to this topic:

Went to see a derm today and she said...

The derm said my hormones are all balanced, nothing out of the ordinary. Does that mean my oily face is caused by external factors, not internal? My liver is OK etc? I guess I won't be buying those liver cleansing pills after all. Does that mean my diets have no effect as well?

Oh yeah, and the cream she prescribed is called Skinoren. I don't think I'm going to be buying it. I guess I'll just discontinue using my emu oil cleanser and just use warm water to see what happens. By the way, when washing off the emu oil cleanser, it didn't feel like it was cleansing or coming off at all. That might be causing the acne at the moment. Although I had acne before buying it lol. Nothing makes sense?

What do you think?

Just because your hormones are within normal levels doesn't mean there's no involvement with your liver. The liver's an impressive organ, over 500 biochemical functions - hormone metabolism is just a small part of it. Your acne could still very well be diet related, or related to other toxins in the environment.

Or, your hormones could be normal, but your oil glands unusually sensitive to them. Or, you could have high levels of unbound versus bound DHT. It's not as simple as just saying 'hormones fall within normal levels'. You need to do a bit of investigative work, and a bit of trial and error, and find what works for you in terms of controlling your acne. Personally I'd recommend starting with a healthy diet - avoid saturated fats, dairy, processed sugars, and try to get lots of fresh veggies. That's just me though :)

I've been on a similar diet for months already, I still have breakouts. Acne hasn't changed, but my skin itself is looking a lot nicer. It's not worth it if it continues like that though.

All the test results mean is that you probably don't have a serious hormone imbalance. But they only tested the amount of hormones floating around in your blood at that moment in time. Hormones fluctuate, get stored, bound up, release, produced after an insulin spike, etc.

And like Deadonfive said, being in normal range means nothing.

Also, there isn't necessarily anything 'wrong' at all, anyway. Yet. The body is a system with all kinds of give and take to deal with the crap you do to it. Treat it right so it can.

Also, you need to get copies of your test results. Review them for yourself and keep them for future doctor visits and for comparison to future tests.

Also, you need to get copies of your test results. Review them for yourself and keep them for future doctor visits and for comparison to future tests.

Good advice. I've actually had doctors tell me everything is normal, and then when I got a copy of the results I saw that a couple things were out of range. Also, sometimes "normal" is not optimal.

But even if everything is fine on tests, diet and exercise can always still help. Acne and oily skin are often caused by insulin resistance and hyperglycemia, and food sensitivities.

I've been on a similar diet for months already, I still have breakouts. Acne hasn't changed, but my skin itself is looking a lot nicer. It's not worth it if it continues like that though.

It's always worth it to eat the way humans were meant to eat. It provides benefits far more important than clear skin. It slows aging and the ailments that go along with it and will prevent, reduce and even reverse conditions you may not know you have or are going to get.