Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chych

Not sure if BP is actually BP

I got a tube of 10% BP cream from the local rite aid (for $3 too), figured I'd give it a shot. I've been using a salicylic acid cleanser for the past 6 months, with some success, but not completely. The cleanser dries my skin, so I use a moisturizer. Recently I tried using the cleanser, and then the BP cream, and frankly I'm not sure if there's any BP in this cream. My skin doesn't irritate at all, and I don't even need to use a moisturizer after I apply the BP (after using the SA cleanser). I also tried putting some BP on an old shirt, and it didn't seem to change its color/bleach it...

Weird, huh?

How long have you been using the BP? Sometimes it can take a while for the irritation and dryness to present. Also, did you just put some BP on the shirt, or did you let the BP sit on the shirt for a while and then wash it? And what color was the shirt? Some colors don't bleach as much as others.

I've only been using it for a week. I checked my shirt today and it does seem to be bleached, I suppose what I read online about BP 'instantly bleaching' was a bit exaggerated. Maybe the irritation hasn't kicked in, or I'm not using enough, or my skin is resistant to the BP, I don't know. Once side of my face seems to have been clearing up quite well, so it might be working (but not so much the other side).

Well, be careful. 10% BP is pretty harsh. It can be extremely drying and irritating to skin (although, like I said before, sometimes the effects kind of sneak up on you).

You might be better off trying to find yourself a 2.5% BP, like Neutrogena On The Spot. 2.5% BP is just as effective against acne as the higher percentages, but doesn't cause nearly as much drying and irritation.

And, heh, yeah, I've never experienced BP "instantly" bleaching anything. I usually don't realize I've bleached a shirt until days later.