Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mayjune

Stubborn dry skin and makeup

Hey everyone. I got some great advice a while ago on starting to wear makeup but I've run into a problem. It seems as if no matter what I do I can't apply my foundation properly and my skin ends up looking flaky and cakey.

First I tried to get away with applying the foundation(Maybelline Pure Makeup) with my fingers but that didn't work. I switched to Loreal True Match foundation and shelled out some cash for the Smashbox Photo Finish light primer and a Sephora foundation brush. Unfortunately my skin still looked dry and flaky with foundation on. I've also tried using a makeup sponge to apply the foundation but I still had the same results.

Maybe this dryness is being caused by my skincare routine? I'm thinking about switching to Cetaphil. At the moment I'm using Clearasil Ultra gel wash daily and Clearasil Acne Clearing scrub maybe three times a week for my cleansers. As for my moisturizers I use Clean and Clear oi-free dual action moisturizer with 0.5% salicylic acid and on top of that depending on how much I'm going to be in the sun that day I'll use either Olay complete all day moisture lotion with spf 15 or Neutrogrena Dry Touch spf 70. I've tried applying two layers of Olay complete before and my skin still looks dry and cakey after foundation application. I also wait at least 15-20 minutes to let my moisturizer absorb before applying my makeup.

Can anyone help me out with this? I'm getting desperate and it's frustrating having to wash off and waste makeup since my skin just won't cooperate. Thanks in advance.

seems like you're moisturizing enough...

1. try what bunchesofsunflowers said. apply lotion, then mix your foundation with lotion using your hands and apply to the face. if the coverage is fine, you can leave as is. if you need more coverage, apply a layer of just foundation or simply spot-cover your acne.

2. if this doesn't work, you may want to look into using a primer. this is applied after lotion and before makeup and seals in moisture and provides a smooth canvas for makeup application. if you're in a pinch, aloe vera gel (not the medicated kind, just plain aloe vera gel) works great as a primer for dry skin.

I have this problem sometimes. Dry skin caused by routine = makeup cracks and flakes.

I use Finacea t night and in the morning I use Dan's BP. If my face starts to get flakey I STOP using any products for a couple of days. I only use moisturizer and jojoba oil, I massage it gently into my face, this helps get some of the flakes off, but if my skin is really flakey this method won't get rid of all of them, just the majority.

If your skin is overly dry there's not a lot you can to prevent your makeup from looking cakey and dry, other than letting your skin recuperate so it won't be dry in the first place. Once my skin is back to normal I start using my products again, i'm hoping my skin will get tougher so that I can use my products everyday instead of every other day.

Hi mayjune,

I know how you feel. My skin for YEARS has always been dry and flaky no matter what...

--gentle cleanser

--heavy duty cleanser

--all natural cleanser

--exfoliating cleanser

--exfoliating scrub

--moisturizer,

--etc etc.

...I used, and I tried everything. EVERYTHING. I even use the tape method to remove the flakes after washing and drying my skin, but I still had leftover flakes that would appear under my makeup.

Finally, I bought some Glycolic Acid 10% cream that I apply every night after washing my face, before bed, and this is the only thing that exfoliates my face well enough to keep the dry flakes off, or at least allows me to remove the flakes with tape. My skin is very smooth, my pores are smaller, and my nose blackheads gone. It also helps red marks and minor wrinkles (I'm 36).

I also highly recommend getting a large, healthy intake of Omega 3 fatty acids, which seems to have helped my skin a lot.

I can give you more details if you'd like. :)

Okay so I've been taking antibiotics for my acne, and it makes my skin really flaky whenever I'm on it, but there are 2 things that I use that pretty much eliminate the problem for me all together:

1) I know this is going to sound crazy cause I'm a girl, but I recently went to a clinique counter and they set me up with some clinique skin supplies for men. It's a face scrub, and its really gritty and great for getting off dead skin without irratating the skin any further. It even smells like a cool mint and leaves your face all tingly, I live by it now!

2) Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer, I've been using it for about a year every night before I go to bed after I scrub my face, it works wonders without breaking me out, (I have very oily skin).

the reason is u are using clearisil ppl keep sayin it is rly bad but it isnt it clears spots away but sometimes if u have sesitive skin clearisil just makes ur skin flakey

I think you are my makeup twin!! I have the same exact problem. I have tried all different kinds of foundations, powders, and concealers as well as different application techniques but yet my makeup still looks cakey and very visible.

I always use lotion and primer before I apply my makeup too and it doesn't help. I've even used a heavy face cream too but that didn't make a difference. I've used face scrubs too.

Between hormones issues that are screwing up my skin in addition to the acne it makes it very difficult to achieve a somewhat flawless face. Its wierd because my skin isn't flakey except for a few spots but even the areas that are soft and hydrated I can't make my makeup look flawless. :(

This sounds like a combination of skin care and foundation issues. My advice would be this: use the oil cleansing method to wash your face. When you treat for acne, avoid dry areas and try to dab your treatment only on the spots where it's needed. Start using pure mango butter or apricot kernel oil as a moisturizer (or you can use both, mixed together in equal parts). Apply your moisturizer while your skin is still slightly damp to help it absorb and lock in moisture. If you feel it necessary, you can apply it once more after the first coat has been thoroughly absorbed. Because make-up tends to sit on top of dry skin, using an oil or butter as a moisturizer will help it to sink in properly. A moisturizing liquid foundation (think tinted moisturizer) will work best for you, and if you need more coverage use a creamy concealer where necessary under your foundation. Also go for cream blushes or stains. Be sure to keep exfoliating, but avoid over-exfoliating (keep in mind that salicylic acid should be considered an exfoliant). I actually think that switching out your current acne-buster for rosehip seed oil or reducing your use of salicylic acid to two or three days a week may be beneficial to you. Because your skin still looks dry and flaky after using your Olay moisturizer, I can say very surely that it is probably wrong for you and that some of the ingredients in this product may actually be making things worse. Be sure to drink lots of water and as edgrolvr said try taking some Omega 3s. Your problem seems to be 90% skin-related, 10% makeup-related, so try to keep this perspective in mind. Also, I would like to state that mango butter is a natural source of retinol (vitamin A) and it is highly recommended that you wear at least SPF 30 on a daily basis, with disregard to the weather. Rosehip seed oil is high in vitamin C and therefore also requires SPF. Though from your post I get the feeling you try to wear SPF on a daily basis anyways. Good luck, I hope this can help. Don't forget, you know your skin better than any person or professional in this world, so listen to what it needs and give that to it. :)