Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leesett

ONE in FIVE HUNDRED!!!!!

I read somewhere online that Accutane "cures" about half of those people who take it so that they never need to do anything else for acne. In the first few weeks of treatment, about one in five patients gets a little worse, and one in 500 patients gets much worse. The rest either get much better, or better for a while.

ONE in FIVE HUNDRED!!!!! Thats scary and only half never need to do anything else, not good enough.

I'm not sure how accurate this information is, its just something I read on this aocd.org website.

Im still going for Accutane, but this info is a bit discouraging don't you think?

I read somewhere online that Accutane "cures" about half of those people who take it so that they never need to do anything else for acne. In the first few weeks of treatment, about one in five patients gets a little worse, and one in 500 patients gets much worse. The rest either get much better, or better for a while.

That's not what my derm says, she adamant that it cures 80% of people, and anybody within the 20% mark have to do a second or even a third course depending on how bad their acne is.

Yeah my derm told me something very similar. I'm going to have to call the info I posted Bull Shit.

I just freak out when I find article like this.

I've found that when talking to my derm it's good to phrase questions in terms of his experience. For example, when he first prescribed accutane I asked him how many people it has cured in his experience. He said he has treated hundreds of patients and that about 90% of people cleared up completely, and 10% of the people went on a second course. He said that, in his experience, no one needed a third course.

This info really reassured me because, although there may be people out there who need 3rd or 4th courses of accutane, what are the odds that I would be the first one of my derm's patients to need that much medicine?

Yeah my derm told me something very similar. I'm going to have to call the info I posted Bull Shit.

I just freak out when I find article like this.

Yerr, unfortunately a lot of what you'll find out there bad about accutane is bullshit perpetuated and twisted by money grabbing lawyers and the media.

They'll have you believe that accutane is this evil drug that damages the lives of every single person who takes it, when that's just not true at all.

Take for instance, everybodys these days is running around like headless chickens over the whole "accutane depression" fiasco, I mean for Christ's sake, it's an extremely rare side effect and because a senator's son committed suicide while on it, it's now printed on the side of some accutane boxes around the world and the papers will report on this and make that it happens everyday with accutane and it just doesn't because the papers report about things that hardly ever happen because it's new and never heard of before, therefore it makes money, do you really think the papers would make money selling stories about how effective accutane is at it's job?, hell no, people aren't interested in that crap.

The hardest job is sifting through the crap and bringing out the real stories which are unfortunately in a sea of lies and distortion.