Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oldschool

Acne for 10 years - Might leaky gut be the answer?!

Hi Everyone,

So, let me start by giving you a bit of background. I'm going to make this post as concise as possible. I've had acne from from the age of about 14. Until recently it showed little signs of slowing down.

• I've always wondered why after a heavy night of alcohol my skin appears a lot better in the morning. It doesn't seem to make sense.
  • I've been taking a variety of pills over the last year including vitamin C, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B complex, Zinc, chromium picolinate, vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin D and more recently cider vinegar pills.
  • When I ran out of cider vinegar pills, I stopped taking them for a while and my acne got worse.

Last week I had a weekend away which involved consuming of alcohol, and a couple of days in the sun. My acne seemed reasonable the next day as I had been drinking the night before. As the week started though, I had a terrible bout of diarrhoea which lasted a couple of days. I was amazed that my face was flawless for the first time in ages.

I started to think about how this could be - the only thing that was definitely different was the tummy bug. I came to the conclusion that it could be associated with a leaky gut.

As I understand it, the leaky gut condition is where the gut wall leaks into the blood stream introducing toxins back into the blood, where they don't belong. After a bit of reading it seems that cider vinegar pills are good for reducing the effects and leaky gut causes zinc deficiency which might shed some light on why zinc is so good for acne (apart from sleep cycle, etc).

What's also interesting is that consumption of water with food is not recommended with a leaky gut since it helps the foodstuffs get through the wall. This might explain why the dehydration from alcohol helps me.

I really think I might be onto something here, and am interested in people's views. I am starting a revised diet aimed at minimising leaky gut symptoms tomorrow; and will report back

Old School

It also leaks undigested food into the bloodstream that will lead to allergies that can cause acne. At the very least, they increase inflammation which worsens acne.

You should do a search on the nutrition board. Especially for posts by SweetJade. Also, one extremely common cause is an intolerance to gluten. Also search for IBS.

Good luck.

well it seems like i can update a bit earlier than expected. I'm definitely seeing great results so far. Although I'm still breaking out a bit, I noticed that my true completion is showing. Before I would flush easily and stay with a red face throughout the day. Now my skin tone is beginning to look normal, and believe me guys, rosacea is much worse than acne.

Based on my observations the acne must be caused by food "leaking" into my bloodstream.

I tested this out by introducing a new food into my anti-candida diet (my whole big clusterf*** is all because of candida). beans. Within a few days I started to break out even more. I guess my blood stream was not used to seeing beans because I haven't eaten it in a long long time.

It is about time that I am able to make a logical explanation about my acne. I've discovered the root of the problem and am now attacking it with full force.

Heres my regimen at the moment

IntestiNEW once in the morning, and again in the evening, 1 hour before meals

-This contains a number of stuff, most importantly L-Glutamine(a naturally occurring amino acid) which aids in the repair of intestines (the damage was caused by candida overgrowth)

Vitamin C (3000mg a day) and Magnesium (500mg a day)

- To aid in bowel movements. Constipation can lead to acne.

Zinc, 50 mg a day

- A very important component when it comes to intestinal repair.

Niacin, 500 mg a day

- I found this on a topic by Konichiwa in the Adult acne thread. It helped a number of people so why not?

Betaine HCL 2 650mg capsules with meals.

- I was able to determine that the candida overgrowth is causing a shortage of HCL whenever i eat food. Without HCL you can't digest food...blah...blah...... you get acne.

Candigone (just went with the instructions)

- A combination of herbs to destroy the bacteria overgrowth( the source of all my problems)

If you have a digestive disorder like I do creams and facewash won't cut it. You are merely controlling the symptoms and not getting down to the root of the problem.

I will update again in a week. If I see huge improvements before then I'll definitely post like I did today. But I probably won't since this takes time :ninja:

Are you talking canned beans? Because dried beans need to be soaked overnight in order for the protective seed coding to be broken down, otherwise they are very difficult to digest. And canned beans rarely are soaked. I've read suggestions of adding a little whey, yogurt or buttermilk when you soak them, but with implications that anything acidic will do it, so maybe lemon juice or vinegar works as well.

I assume you are avoiding gluten with your candida diet. Gluten intolerance is often at the root of IBS or Leaky Gut since it damages the intestinal lining. And it takes some time to rebuild.

im avoiding all canned foods for my anti-candida diet. I buy the dried beans and soak them. I'm not so sure about adding whey, yogurt, or buttermilk because it might aggravate my condition, and at the moment i don't want to try anything new if my condition is already improving.

BTW congrats on defeating acne! Since you have been clear for 3 years now, are you still on the candida diet or are you modifying towards the "mainstream" diet? I can't really see myself eating these foods for the rest of my life. I'm a big eater and I love to eat many types of food. Abstaining from my favorite food, sushi, has been hell for me. But you gotta make sacrifices if you wanna see results i guess.

BTW congrats on defeating acne! Since you have been clear for 3 years now, are you still on the candida diet or are you modifying towards the "mainstream" diet? I can't really see myself eating these foods for the rest of my life. I'm a big eater and I love to eat many types of food. Abstaining from my favorite food, sushi, has been hell for me. But you gotta make sacrifices if you wanna see results i guess.

I never did the candida diet. I did try a purchased candida cleanse consisting of fiber supplements and antifungals like garlic and some herbs that you take for a couple weeks. That was back at the beginning of my diet. Other than that, I just started consuming less bad things and more good. I'm pretty sure it was quitting sodas and other sugary drinks that had the biggest impact.

StriderHien, how about an update please? Ive started reading up on Leaky Gut today, and the gears are moving.... mmmmm?

You should read this old thread on the nutrition board:

ACNE DIET, CLEANSING & LEAKY GUT SYNDROME RESOURCE GUIDE

It was meant to be a guide to all things acne, but a lot of the discussion is on healing IBS/Leaky Gut. And you could look for threads by the OP who was kind of the patron saint of the Nutrition board.

:) Ive found this thread earlier today :) Its loaded with info.... takes time to read.... still busy reading... but so cool! :)

Niacin, 500 mg a day

- I found this on a topic by Konichiwa in the Adult acne thread. It helped a number of people so why not?

I'm taking 2 x 100 mg a day, 1 in morning and 1 at night, my skin feels smoother but as it's only been 2 days I have no real evidence, I was interested to know why your taking Niacin if you believe it's to do with a leaky gut, can Niacin help a leaky gut ?

If not then will this not make matters confusing ?

Is it not best to stick to one thing so it can be eliminated ?

Just curious.

ive read that niacin is helpful against candida and candida is the culprit for leaky gut.

also, niacin is known to help stimulate production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach. because I've been taking medicine to stop production of hydrochloric acid (my doctor thought i had an ulcer, when tests found out later i never did lol) the food was just sitting in my stomach, causing me bloating and candida.

Damn you candida overgrowth!!!!

Niacin, 500 mg a day

I'm taking 2 x 100 mg a day, 1 in morning and 1 at night, my skin feels smoother but as it's only been 2 days I have no real evidence, I was interested to know why your taking Niacin if you believe it's to do with a leaky gut, can Niacin help a leaky gut ?

If not then will this not make matters confusing ?

Is it not best to stick to one thing so it can be eliminated ?

Just curious.

From what i have been reading it seems as though it could be related some how... Why can't someone with Ph.D figure this crap out?!?!

I also developed acne in teens which never went away. My brother also.

I am convinced it is leaky gut as my first child reacted severely when I breastfed him which I tracked down to cows milk. Cut that out and he was fine and also the acne disappeared.

I've been on a cows milk free diet since and assume its the caseins that get through the bloodstream that then set up an allergic reaction.

However I'm now developing glue ear symptoms and am wondering what is causing this, as well as chronic muscular pain in my neck/upper back (partly associated with arthritic changes).

I was sick a couple of days ago (food poisoning) and my glue ear symptoms disappeared (I didn't eat for a day) so I am thinking that another food may be setting up that, e.g. soya (which I have a lot of to substitute for cows milk).

I have some tabs called Prolactazyme which are very good on days when I go out and can't avoid eating something containing cows milk but never thought about whether there may be something else that might actually cure the root problem as I assumed it was of genetic origin.

For instance I know I am a carrier of the cystic fibrosis gene delta F508 and this is considered to convey some protection against typhoid. Around 1 in 25 of caucasians are carriers.

I wonder whether 'leaky gut' and having this mutation are related.

I would really like to believe that I could cure my condition with probiotics etc but I don't normally have any gut symptoms, in fact I am otherwise remarkably healthy in that I rarely have colds or coughs, or gut bugs - the recent case was unusual. First time for 20 years or so.

has anyone noticed their cheeks produce more oil then their chin and forehead? this is the only area i treat, ive never had a problem with my forehead and chin. im wondering if my cheeks are producing more oil because im treating them with bp and irritating them. i have no acne problems anywhere else. has ne 1 else here experienced this. im 22 by the way and have no family history of adult acne.

OP --

If you had leaky gut alcohol would make your skin a million times worse. Ditto for candida.

I think you have either high androgens or low estrogen or both. Alcohol raises estrogen which is most likely why you get clear when you drink. You should ditch the diet and take something for your hormones.