Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Minty Peas

Just had Total FX

Your scars look too shallow for fillers. I generally think fillers are a bad idea, unless you are dealing with only a few scars. You have to deal with top ups and the filler getting absorbed too quickly and at different rates. It's just way too high maintenance. Have you thought of PRP or dermal grafts? They are safer than laser and have a good success rate.
I'm only doing the filler on one or two of my deepest rolling scars which you can see in the picture. I have several small scars on both cheeks, but the big one in the middle of my cheek is the one I'm really self conscious about. I haven't thought of PRP or dermal grafts...I doubt my scars are serious enough for a graft.

Well, you never know. My scars were fairly shallow and I was able to get dermal grafts and I didn't think I could either. It's not perfect, but it's helped more than other things I've tried. If a doctor is skilled with grafts, they can do shallow scars as well. Unfortunately, it is next to impossible to find a doctor who does grafts, which is why I recommended PRP as well. It's growing in popularity and it seems more doctors are open to using it. I've never had it done myself, but I've heard some positive results from people here who have tried it. But if you're thinking of getting filler for just one or two scars, then I think it's not as big a deal.

Well, you never know. My scars were fairly shallow and I was able to get dermal grafts and I didn't think I could either. It's not perfect, but it's helped more than other things I've tried. If a doctor is skilled with grafts, they can do shallow scars as well. Unfortunately, it is next to impossible to find a doctor who does grafts, which is why I recommended PRP as well. It's growing in popularity and it seems more doctors are open to using it. I've never had it done myself, but I've heard some positive results from people here who have tried it. But if you're thinking of getting filler for just one or two scars, then I think it's not as big a deal.
PRP is certainly intriguing, but it seems that it's still hard to find people willing to do it. All the PS's around here just seem to want to to sell you on whatever laser device they happen to have in their office. It's always good to be considering a multi-method approach to scarring, and I'm not done yet...I'll be interested to see where we are five years from now.

Guest icaretohelp

hey mintypeas..hows it looking? x

Well, it looks like the new Glominerals foundation the doctor sold me on was to blame for my breakout. Money down the drain. :(

I went out and bought Bare Minerals and, although it is a powder foundation, for some reason it looks a lot better than Everyday Minerals on my skin. It doesn't settle into the pores and lines as much. Maybe it's made with larger particles, I don't know.

Anyway, it's been a month (in three days). Still red, but getting better every week. Skin texture feels normal now. It doesn't feel any different or dryer than the surrounding skin when I run my finger over it.

Scars also look good. Swelling is down and scars are visible again, but looking very good. In my bathroom mirror I only really notice them at certain angles. Right now I'd say my scars are 70-80% improved after two rounds of Total Fx. Despite the redness, I feel so cute! :)

I am excited to go back to my doctor and see my followup photos in a few weeks. Here's to seeing continued improvement over the next six months.

Minty:

I had Fraxe Repair done on September 23 and after ten days I could wear makeup again. They highly recommended mineral makeup by Jane Iredale. I absolutely love it. It really does cover the red in your skin. Of course it is pricey but it is worth every penny. And if you should try it you can order online and purchase the compact not the liquid. The liquid make up doesn't cover at all!!!! Hope this helps you. It also has healing properties in it. It has zinc which is great for your skin. From what they tell me, her makeup has been around for thirty years. Everyone else is just now getting on the band wagon about mineral makeup. Truly you will love Jane Iredale make up. I can't rave enough about it. I'm in in no way associated with the company so I'm not pushing her product for any reason other than to say I think it is the best thing on the market.

PRP is certainly intriguing, but it seems that it's still hard to find people willing to do it. All the PS's around here just seem to want to to sell you on whatever laser device they happen to have in their office. It's always good to be considering a multi-method approach to scarring, and I'm not done yet...I'll be interested to see where we are five years from now.

Dermal grafting is definitely not for you minty. Your scars are tooooo shallow :clap:

Have you thought about going to Japan or Korea to pursue scar revision? I think the plastic surgery in those countries are the best in the world.

hey minty peas! we got generally same kind of scars.. I am thinking of doing fillers too or fractional photolysis(spelling?). One thing i like about fractional is the minimal downtime. But anyway let me know what you decide, to do as I will be following ur progress.

But honestly, i think those are realy shallow scars.. those pics are taken at very harsh lighting too. But yea, I know the feeling.. its like we just cant live with it being there.

Best of luck

Hi everyone!

Just a quick update. It's been around four months since my second Total FX, and since then I also had Restylane injected into one scar. Overall I am happy with it. Of course it's not perfect, but I doubt it ever will be. Come to think of it, I was wondering why that is. Why can't we ever achieve the same look our skin had before our scars? I am not talking about "perfect" skin, just how it was before scarring. I keep thinking surely it must be possible *somehow* maybe not right now, but someday in the future we will have the ability... I don't know. That's just my dream.

I've also started using The Body Shop Vitamin C Skin Boost every day in the morning, which makes my skin feel super soft and velvety, plus has vitamin C. I don't recommend it to everybody because there are some things in the ingredients list that might be objectionable to some people, but I've been using it daily for close to two weeks now and it hasn't broken me out.

Vanzzzz, I agree - I don't think I'd be able to find anyone willing to do grafts on me. My scars are only moderate. I haven't thought about traveling to Korea or Japan specifically for scar revision, but I do have a friend who lives in Japan, so I will probably go visit her sometime. I'm curious why you think their plastic surgeons are so good.

Jannn, thanks! Actually the pictures on page 2 of this thread I took in my kitchen in early evening with natural light coming through the window. I don't know if I consider that especially harsh, sadly. :(

Wenc, thanks for the recommendation. Honestly, I think I have given up on powder foundations. They dry out my skin and make it look flakey, and I wear moisturizer everyday. Now I use Almay at the recommendation of Brandy, a mod on this site, and it's been working very well for me. It lasts all day and doesn't come off even if I sweat. If I sweat with Bare Minerals on, it takes on a "cracked" appearance and looks awful. I don't usually need super heavy coverage as long as I'm not trying to cover up severe redness after a laser treatment.

Praise, PRP stands for "Platelet Rich Plasma." It's a process which uses your own blood, separating the red blood cells from the platelets (the blood cells that work to heal our bodies when we get injured). The platelet rich plasma is then injected into the scar.

MintyPeas, if you have ever tried to sand down a piece of wood that has dents in it, that's about what I think when it comes to scars, and the skin is a living organ. You can get pretty intense with that piece of wood, but just think if you tried that on your skin. This is also why I believe it takes 3-4 treatments with an intense fractionized CO2 laser to give us the results we want. With Regular CO2 and Dermabrasion you are doing basically the same as sanding the wood, but you can't get to the depth of the scar.

Hey, that's a really great metaphor! I never thought about scars like that before, but thinking about sanding a piece of wood really makes sense.

Next time I think I'm going to get just Deep FX and skip the Active FX (Deep FX + Active FX = Total FX), and also ask the doctor to go for a higher setting of 17.5mj. I don't know if the doctor will be comfortable with it, though. When we talked about settings for my first treatment, she said that 15mj was as high as she liked to go.

hey minty peas do u mind taking another picture with restylane? i am really thinking about doing restylane and would like to see how it would look since we have similar scarring.

Cheers, would mean a lot.

hey minty peas do u mind taking another picture with restylane? i am really thinking about doing restylane and would like to see how it would look since we have similar scarring.

I don't mind taking another picture. The problem is that it's hard to duplicate the lighting since I used natural light from the window. I don't want to give anyone a false impression of my scars.

Japan has some of the most advance bio-technology for cosmetic purposes. Also, korean girls are famous for going under the knife. These imply that plastic surgery industry in those countries are mature and advance, hence they are better. This could be questionable though. Just my opinion

Its Friday nite..Had Total FX Wednesday....I am in a total burning uncomfortable place... i feel like I want to get out of my skin!! When will I turn a corner here.... I just took my anti- biotic..my cold sore med..my percoset..and benedryl for itching... i can't take any of this!

Of course its New Years holiday and I really don't think I need the doctor..I think its just me....

Japan has some of the most advance bio-technology for cosmetic purposes. Also, korean girls are famous for going under the knife. These imply that plastic surgery industry in those countries are mature and advance, hence they are better. This could be questionable though. Just my opinion

You could be interested in the book "Patients Beyond Borders" by Josef Woodman, which delves into the growing Medical Tourism industry. America lost 8 vital years of stem cell research development because of the antics of George Bush.

ICareToHelp, I repeat I only comment on Ablative Fractionalized CO2 lasers, introducing non-ablative lasers into the mix is comparing apples to oranges. Here is an upcoming article on DOT and Repair that should be introduced soon. This site is very informative.

http://www.fractionalc02.com/co2laserblog/...s-smartxide-dot

MintyPeas, if you have ever tried to sand down a piece of wood that has dents in it, that's about what I think when it comes to scars, and the skin is a living organ. You can get pretty intense with that piece of wood, but just think if you tried that on your skin. This is also why I believe it takes 3-4 treatments with an intense fractionized CO2 laser to give us the results we want. With Regular CO2 and Dermabrasion you are doing basically the same as sanding the wood, but you can't get to the depth of the scar.

Dudley, ICareToHelp was right on this subject. You are not well informed on this part. Co2 lasers are always ablative. The Mixo, the Smartxide, the Eco2, etc, etc, are all fractional ablative Co2 lasers. What ICareToHelp meant, was that these lasers are less aggressive; they don't go as deep as the Repair and the Deep FX. This allows for a shorter interval of say 6 weeks rather than 3-6 months.

Edited by Ziko

Ziko, if you are going to use milder lasers, you probably don't need lasers in the first place, or you should be looking at conventional Co2. Everything I have read indicates depth of penetration as the key to the lasers success. If scarring is mild the conventional Co2 would seem to be the much better choice.

Minty, i have very similar scars to yours and i went to a doctor who suggests me to do 4 Smartxide sessions. But i'm so depressed with my face and i really don't know if Smartxide is really worth it for acne scars.

The doctor told me that it took between 3-6 months to create the collagen.But i really don't know :(

sorry for the bad english, i'm french.

Just thought I would update my thread here.

I'm going in for a third Total FX treatment in a few hours. Woohoo! <3

Guest Timehealsall
Just thought I would update my thread here.

I'm going in for a third Total FX treatment in a few hours. Woohoo! <3

minty, how much improvements in your scars have you had overall thus far?

Just to clarify what I said in my previous post, there's no real way for me to accurately judge how much improvement I've had over the years. I don't remember exactly what my scars and I looked like three years ago, and pictures don't help very much. I can only really go by my own personal scale of contentment with how my skin looks. If the scars are still bothering me, then obviously I still have work to do.

Anyway, here are the settings that were used for my third treatment.

Deep Fx:17.5mj, pulse 1, density 3 for a few of the deeper scars on both sides

15mj, pulse 1, density 1 for rest of the scars

Active Fx: 90mj, pulse 1, density 3 over the cheek area