Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RockstarNailbomb

Is acne a creature of our own conciousness?

The other day i was thinking about why we even get acne in the first place(hormonal inbalance + acne prone skin) and I had a thought. What if we were to just one day get captured and dropped off in a remote island away from civilization and the only people on it would be the indigenous people who have lived their for thousands of years. Do you think that if we started to live like a barbarian ie. hunting food, scavenging for fresh water, and living a pretty much active lifestyle without ever taking a shower or washing our faces with man-made products, we would get acne? I have a feeling that we make our own bodies produce acne, because we have strayed too far from the mindset of our ancestors. If we were to just forget all about acne, and just focus on surviving, exercising intensely, and eating right, our acne might go away. The way i see it, our bodies would pretty much say "theirs no point for my acne, it does not help my survival, i need to get my hormones in check so i could be a better warrior/hunter", and eventually it would do so to better your chances of survival.

Our sedentary lifestyles mixed with our diet are the cause of our acne. We have no need to try to survive anymore, so our bodies pretty much just give up by lowering its immune system and its ability to heal itself.

what do you guys think about my theory, have any of you had similar ideas?

I have actually thought the same thing. Im not really leaning one way or the other though. I do believe that we probably wouldnt have acne but i dont think that turning into a caveman in modern times would cure us now that we already have it. but good philosophizing though, i have pondered this myself many a time.

You think prehistoric humans were immune to skin disorders, disease, and wrinkles? Please.

However, they didn't have caffeine & environmental problems to contend with.

The other day i was thinking about why we even get acne in the first place(hormonal inbalance + acne prone skin) and I had a thought. What if we were to just one day get captured and dropped off in a remote island away from civilization and the only people on it would be the indigenous people who have lived their for thousands of years. Do you think that if we started to live like a barbarian ie. hunting food, scavenging for fresh water, and living a pretty much active lifestyle without ever taking a shower or washing our faces with man-made products, we would get acne? I have a feeling that we make our own bodies produce acne, because we have strayed too far from the mindset of our ancestors. If we were to just forget all about acne, and just focus on surviving, exercising intensely, and eating right, our acne might go away. The way i see it, our bodies would pretty much say "theirs no point for my acne, it does not help my survival, i need to get my hormones in check so i could be a better warrior/hunter", and eventually it would do so to better your chances of survival.

Our sedentary lifestyles mixed with our diet are the cause of our acne. We have no need to try to survive anymore, so our bodies pretty much just give up by lowering its immune system and its ability to heal itself.

sigh...this is retarded. You don't need a desert island to cure acne or to survive 'intensely'. I assure you it is just as hard to survive in the modern day world. With our population, technology, languages etc. it is just as tough mentally to get by as it would be in crazy paleo land. What you need to do is eat a low glycemic diet and avoid foods you have an intolerance for. Get plenty of sleep and you need to WANT to look good, none of this 'woe is me' attitude. Anyone can do it. Just remember that acne is temporary, don't lose sight of your other interests and goals.

This is not 'retarded' - our lifestyle, both physically and mentally is so drastically different. Not to mention our food. It's been genetically altered so much it barely resembles the food our ancestors ate. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if this theory were true - unfortunately there's really no way to test it.

This is not 'retarded' - our lifestyle, both physically and mentally is so drastically different. Not to mention our food. It's been genetically altered so much it barely resembles the food our ancestors ate. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if this theory were true - unfortunately there's really no way to test it.

She knows that and didn't say otherwise. But this thread is about acne being a mental issue.

The mind is a powerful thing, but I promise you, I did not create my acne at age 10.

And it would be the actual physical lifestyle changes of whole foods, sleep and physical activity that would clear you should you be dropped on a remote island. Not your attitude about acne.

sigh...this is retarded. You don't need a desert island to cure acne or to survive 'intensely'. I assure you it is just as hard to survive in the modern day world. With our population, technology, languages etc. it is just as tough mentally to get by as it would be in crazy paleo land. What you need to do is eat a low glycemic diet and avoid foods you have an intolerance for. Get plenty of sleep and you need to WANT to look good, none of this 'woe is me' attitude. Anyone can do it. Just remember that acne is temporary, don't lose sight of your other interests and goals.

She knows that and didn't say otherwise. But this thread is about acne being a mental issue.

The mind is a powerful thing, but I promise you, I did not create my acne at age 10.

And it would be the actual physical lifestyle changes of whole foods, sleep and physical activity that would clear you should you be dropped on a remote island. Not your attitude about acne.

?

I think the thread the title implies that acne may be brought on by mindset, but the actual post content reveals more. The content implicates lifestyle and dietary changes as well.

Switching to whole foods v. processed crap? Well, yeah. But the basic structure of our whole foods is not the same as it was for our ancestors.

So if attitude about acne doesn't help create acne then stress is irrelevant? I don't think so.

So if attitude about acne doesn't help create acne then stress is irrelevant? I don't think so.

And I did not say that either.

orly? Stress is typically defined as ' emotional factor that causes bodily or mental tension' - could that not be interpreted as 'attitude about acne'

Not sure what you mean by 'either'... I never said anything to, about, or in response to you in my initial post. I posted in response to meat_pirate, specifically her calling the theory retarded.

You and I tend to agree, not sure what you're getting at here....

ayla:

I don't think stress is the same as attitude. Attitude can bring about stress and stress can alter your attitude, but they are not one in the same.

I think the thread the title implies that acne may be brought on by mindset, but the actual post content reveals more. The content implicates lifestyle and dietary changes as well.

Switching to whole foods v. processed crap? Well, yeah. But the basic structure of our whole foods is not the same as it was for our ancestors.

Exactly, this is exactly what i meant. If the title might have misled you, I am sorry.

orly? Stress is typically defined as ' emotional factor that causes bodily or mental tension' - could that not be interpreted as 'attitude about acne'

Not sure what you mean by 'either'... I never said anything to, about, or in response to you in my initial post. I posted in response to meat_pirate, specifically her calling the theory retarded.

You and I tend to agree, not sure what you're getting at here....

I was including your response to her post when I said 'either.'

And yeah, I don't get why the arguements.

ayla:

I don't think stress is the same as attitude. Attitude can bring about stress and stress can alter your attitude, but they are not one in the same.

Perhaps, but they are so intimately related and entwined that it is pretty much impossible to separate the two. If you have the right attitude to deal with the situation, stress cannot exist.