Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XCman

Diet (Expirimental) Log

-XCman's Diet Log~

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

After trying this diet for two months, I conclude that it does not significantly help acne. My acne never significantly improved on the diet alone; however, lemon juice and omega-3 and green tea did clear me up.

I'm 90% clear with lemon juice, omega-3, and green tea. The diet, while it helped my overall health significantly and I will continue to eat this way, doesn't clear acne.

Dosage (what made me 90% clear):

1 spoonful of cod liver oil (omega-3)

8 oz glass of green tea

apply lemon juice (1 oz?) liberally into green tea

Drink the above TWICE a day (morning & night)

I know this is what clears me up because when I miss a day or two my acne returns as it was before. I have "turned on/off" acne with this so I know it works. Heck of a lot easier than BP. Good luck to all.

----end of update-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hair Style: Buzzed

Favorite Pastime: Running

Sleep: 7-10 hours a night. 10pm to 8am usually.

Currently: On summer break until I attend Virginia Tech for mechanical engineering.

I am convinced that primarily diet causes acne, along with other influences. If I can figure out what triggers acne in my diet I will be able to solve it. Apparently areas of the world that eat non-Western diets experience NO ACNE AT ALL (or at least 0 in 5000 adolescents in several Oceanic nations). People in these poverty-ridden nations eat cheap plant-based diets. No meats, no dairy, no processed foods, no complex (added) sugars. They eat raw/cooked vegetables, nuts, fruits, grains and flowers (like broccoli).

For the last month/ month an a half I've roughly followed this diet. I find the will power to change my eating habits very easy so I've held close to the eating plan.

So this is what I've eaten for the last 2 weeks(mid-June to July 6th):

- +95% plant-based foods (vegetables, grains, fruits, nuts)

- Drinking only water & prune juice(wards off constipation)

- NO DAIRY

- NO processed foods or added sugars.

- Supplements: Zinc, B-Complex, Vit E, Vit C, Omega-3 Cod Liver Oil, Zinc, Chromium, Calcium

Note on Supplements: I dislike the idea of replacing real food with supplements, but I can tell positive differences in my body when on them.

So far I've seen no change in my acne. Dan's BP worked better, it just dried out my skin too much. Also chemical usage is a bad idea in general.

My attempts are extremely flawed due to little or no record keeping. That's what this log is for. I'll be recording my diet and taking pictures of my skin/face daily.

July 6th, 2009

Daily Water: 2.5 Liters

Breakfast:

- 2 cans of Split Pea Soup + 1 can Garbanzo Beans (weird I know)

Lunch:

- 1/2 plate of Rice/Beans/Red Peppers/Mung Bean Sprouts/Onions

- Lots of Fruit Salad: Canalope, Strawberries, Blueberries, Watermelon

- Entire Romaine Lettuce "Heart" raw

Dinner:

- Whole wheat spaghetti w/ tomato sauce, mushrooms, black-eyed peas

Snacks:

- Several apples, banana, whole carrot

Exercise:

none - due to superficial surgery on neck, can't get it wet.

Sleep: 11pm to 8am

July 7th, 2009

Water: 4 Liters

Breakfast:

Large plate of rice and lentils, 2 bananas

Lunch:

Large plate of rice, lentils and vegetables (broccoli, onions, carrots), bowl of watermelon & blueberries

Dinner:

Split pea soup, 5 mixed grain muffins (no gluten), watermelon

Snacks:

2 apples, two handfuls of raw spinach

Exercise:

still none

Sleep:

11pm - 8am

July 8th 2009

Water: 2.5 Liters

Breakfast:

Rice & Lentils + Banana, Nectarine

Lunch:

Rice & Lentils, Apple, spaghetti marinara sauce

Dinner:

Hot Dog ketchup + mustard, Baked Beans

Exercise:

5 mile run. Decent pace.

Sleep:

10pm - 8am

Milk Thistle + Dandelion + Glass of Kombucha = clearing up a bit

July 9th 2009

Breakfast:

Rice

Lunch:

Rice & Lentils

Dinner:

Rice + Cauliflower + Beans in Tomato Sauce

Exercise:

mile walk

Sleep:

11pm - 8am

July 10th 2009

Water: Liters

Breakfast:

Lentil Soup

Lunch:

Aww I don't remember

Dinner:

Spaghetti, marinara sauce

Exercise:

5 miles slow run, 1 mile tempo pace (6:30 maybe)

Sleep:

11pm - 9am

July 11th 2009

Breakfast:

Beans in Tomato Sauce

Lunch:

Rice

Dinner:

Rice & Vegetables (Broccoli + carrots + onions)

Exercise:

Ran to the bank and it was closed, dang it. 6 miles tempo (6:50)

Sleep:

10pm - 8am

Very detailed log. :)

But I have a question: Did you drop all use of BP or other treatment? You're only on this diet?

Sorry it took forever to reply! I've been a bit busy.

I am using BP as a spot treatment, you know, a little BP on acne spots at night once a night. Very fast, easy and doesn't bother my skin.

I should probably give you a little history on what I've already tried. First, I spent about 4 months on BP (Dan's Regimen). It worked okay, but it really dried and reddened my skin. Besides that it was wasting 40-50 min a day on the junk. The cost wasn't a thriller either.

So I stopped Dan's Regimen and basically did nothing for my acne. Not surprisingly, the next 4 months saw it getting worse. At least the drying was gone. Then I stumbled upon threads on this site about liver health and how it related to acne. I learned that Accutane effects some part of the liver relating to cleaning the liver. So I thought, its obvious: clean your liver and this part that "causes" acne dosen't have to work so acne is reduced.

That's when I started changing diet. Initially it had NO effect, but now with more research I've been making an impact.

July 12th 2009

Water: 3 Liters

I FASTED 40 hours starting at yesterday's dinner. It's supposed to cause the liver to clean itself.

Breakfast:

Lunch:

Dinner:

Exercise:

1.5 mile run. 3 hours exerting doing yard work.

Sleep:

10pm - 8am

July 13th 2009

Water: 5 Liters

FAST CONTINUED TO 12pm.

Breakfast:

none

Lunch:

4 Giant plates at a Mongolian Buffet. It was so cheap! $7 all-you-can-eat.

Noodles (wheat I guess) + myriad of vegtables

Dinner:

watermelon + assorted vegetables + spaghetti (whole wheat)

Exercise:

lifted weights 30 min

Sleep:

10pm - 9am

NOTES ON FAST:

Kinda hard to keep up. I got REALLY hungry hours 15-20. After the first whole day the hunger diminished, but I was weaker than usual and got lightheaded easily.

-Did it help acne? Yes, no magic going on, but new acne formation stopped and the old healed a bit. Benefits seem to last longer than just during the fast.

NOTES ON SPECIAL STUFF TO CLEAN LIVER:

-2 tablets of Milk Thistle daily

- 6 tablets of Dandelion daily

- 2 glasses of Kombucha with lots of raw lemon juice in it

The stuff above has helped quite a bit on my face. Less acne formation along with fading red marks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 14th 2009

Water: 4 Liters

Breakfast:

Oatmeal(plain) + banana & blue berry mixed in

Lunch:

lots of Rice & Beans

Dinner:

Lots a beans + watermelon + broccoli + spinach + nectarine

Exercise:

lifted weights 30 min + dug up 2 tree stumps

Sleep:

11:30pm - 9am (rat race was on and just had to watch it with my bro)

I am convinced that primarily diet causes acne, along with other influences. If I can figure out what triggers acne in my diet I will be able to solve it. Apparently areas of the world that eat non-Western diets experience NO ACNE AT ALL (or at least 0 in 5000 adolescents in several Oceanic nations). People in these poverty-ridden nations eat cheap plant-based diets. No meats, no dairy, no processed foods, no complex (added) sugars. They eat raw/cooked vegetables, nuts, fruits, grains and flowers (like broccoli).

Hey budday,

There are people in the States that eat tons of junk and have "perfect" skin. Good luck in engineering.

pb101, you are totally correct. Many people eat terrible diets, consisting of high fat, high sugar foods void of nutrition. Then some go throw excessive alcohol and drugs into the mix and still don't get acne.

poor diet does not equal acne

however,

healthy diet does equal no acne

at least that's what the study showed.

Also, I think it will take time for improvements. My liver and overall health took a beating for 17 years before I decided I wanted to eat healthily. It will take a while to get it back to normal.

July 15th 2009

Water: 3 Liters

Breakfast:

Oatmeal(plain) + honey

Lunch:

Beans with turnip greens + biscuits

Dinner:

Spicy bean mix with tomatoes

Exercise:

Ran 4 miles, strong pace

Sleep:

4am - 11:30am (Harry Potter opening night)

PROGRESS SO FAR: Notable imporovment in my acne. I'd say 30% less spots and the severity and length of time the spots last has decreased a lot.

July 16th 2009

Water: 2 Liters

Breakfast:

Rice & Beans + Tomato Sauce

Lunch:

Rice + Beans + Apples + Bananas

Dinner:

Rice + Beans + cantaloupe + greens

Exercise:

Lifted weights (40min)

Sleep:

11pm - 7:30am

PROGRESS:

Ever since I've started eating liver cleaning foods (and after fasting) I'd say my acne severity was reduced by 50%. I can feel my skin being much drier, less oils. The spots I do get are considerably smaller then they used to be. Never get cystic anymore.

UPDATE:

After trying this diet for two months, I conclude that it does not significantly help acne. My acne never significantly improved on the diet alone; however, lemon juice and omega-3 and green tea did clear me up.

I'm 90% clear with lemon juice, omega-3, and green tea. The diet, while it helped my overall health significantly and I will continue to eat this way, doesn't clear acne.

Dosage (what made me 90% clear):

1 spoonful of cod liver oil (omega-3)

8 oz glass of green tea

apply lemon juice (1 oz?) liberally into green tea

Drink the above TWICE a day (morning & night)

I know this is what clears me up because when I miss a day or two my acne returns as it was before. I have "turned on/off" acne with this so I know it works. Good luck to all.