Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sawai

re-posting my scar photo

seeking more advice, suggestions on what kind of scarring/hyperpigmentation this is and how to make it look 'normal' again. are there any topicals besides hydroquinone & retin-a that could help? do i need to go under a laser? is there a supplement i can take that might my skin look white and smooth again? i've had this roughness/discoloration marks for nearly a year now, and i'm sick of it.

below are my two pictures -

my marks from having had acne;

user posted image

and for comparison, how my chin looked before i had any acne or scars;

user posted image

thanks for any opinions you may have.

Hi Sawai,

It looks like you just have some hyperpigmentation versus actual scarring (indents or atrophy of the skin).

You may try doing a search on the lemon and vinegar method (seems to have helped many fade their red marks and smoothen their skin).

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

Try hydroquinone 4% (prescription through doctor. Not OTC).

Seems like the redness is due to inflammation. Try to find some cooling mud mask (like made out of cucumber/papaya).

My whole face was red like that. Now I think I've gained lots of improvements within a year from combination of treatments (peels, smoothbeam, hydroquinone, retina micro, etc).

I'll repost my pics whenever I have the guts.

Hi, your scarring does not look particularly severe, so think positive! smile.gif I'm sure that you'll be able to get some good results from a combination of peels (lactic or TCA) and other relatively simple treatments such as hydroquinone and the lemon water method. Check out the FAQ for advice on how to treat red marks, which seems to be predominantly what you have.

If you are still unhappy with your skin after trying these methods, your light scarring may benefit from more invasive procedures such as smoothbeam or needling, but these are obviously more expensive.

Good luck! biggrin.gif

I'll repost my pics whenever I have the guts.

rossignol,

i'm glad you don't think it's too bad; that definitely made me feel quite hopeful. may i ask, have you had any experience with lactic/tca peels yourself, or have you not needed them for your kind of scarring? (i presume you have/had scarring if you're on the scar board)

i've been on prescribed hydroquinone 4% for a couple of months last year - to my knowledge, it didn't fade my hyperpigmentation much or at all, and in fact made it look much more inflamed. as soon as i stopped, the redness went down by about 50% - so i'm afraid that one's out :/

obiwon,

like i said above - hydroquinone i've tried and had no good experience with.

i like the idea of a mask, but as i'm currently on retin-a (to prevent my acne coming back) i'm worried about upsetting the effects of it. i don't know much about how it works, but i seem to remember it has something to do with balancing the ph of the skin...and would applying something like a mask change that? oh, and i'm sure the redness isn't due to the retin-a, as i apply it all over my face but my chin (the only place i had severe acne) is the only part of my face that is inflamed.

i would really like to see your scar pictures though - please? if you don't feel like posting them i don't mind giving you my email and you can send them to me. would really make me feel better if i can have something to compare mine to.

toomuch,

like i said above, i'm worried that lemon & vinegar will be an irritant or upset the balance of my skin. still, i'll look into it - i may be wrong and it could help.

and manic d, why the kiss? heh, that was unexpected.

if anybody else has thoughts on this that might help, i'd be really grateful, like i said.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

C'mon Obi! It'd be great to see the progress that you've made, and to finally put a face to the name! (rather than an ass!!!  biggrin.gif )

obiwon,

retina is the only medication i'm applying to it now -i stopped the hydroquinone quite some time ago- and i really do need it, as i experimented with only applying it once a week during december, and the next month i begun to get some acne again (of course i'm back on the high enough dose now) and it didn't really affect the discolouration. i also moisturise every day, with both na-pca and hyaluronic acid, which has helped a lot - but still, i'm not there. hey, i guess i'll try the cucumber tonight though; i have one in the fridge. and i'll definitely look into the peels; they sound interesting. did they help significantly at all?

why i am not sure if i only have hyperpigmentation or also some slight scarring, is that the patch underneath my bottom lip feels rough to the touch compared to the rest of my face, which is now completely smooth.

rossignol,

my chin is the only place i have marks and the only place i suffered really ugly acne. the rest of my face escaped pretty lightly, but i medicate all over for good measure and incase i ever would get it in another place.

i like the sound of puredeming - you didn't experience any irritation with it, did you? it doesn't sound like an irritant, but i am concerned about this as i'm more fixated on the redness than the slight uneven-ness of my skin, and wouldn't want to exacerbate it.

good luck to you with your scars too!

I didn't experience any significant irritation with the intense gel, other than some mild redness after I had washed it off, and this only happened a couple of times and lasted for only a few minutes.

As long as you're not on accutane, I think the Intense gel would be brilliant - you could start with the regular version and then move up to the R-ALA (which is stronger) once your skin has acclimatised.

I dont know if you still suffer breakouts, but when people get acne only on their chin it is almost always hormonal acne. birth control pills may help you......

rossignol,

thanks, i'll get ahold of some soon then and try it out!

angel,

i figured already that my acne was hormonal as it started in my teens. interesting to know though that the chin seems to be specifically linked to that...i rarely get breakouts now and only small ones, so i seem to have everything under control; but thanks anyway.

Your acne scarring looks very minimal. I can't see your entire face but I get an idea that you are quite pretty. So cheer up. It really is not that bad compared to many here on this board. There are many treatments you might want to try. I would try retin A. It cleared my skin up quickly and left it much smoother. Good luck, James

Guest Scorpioness

Most of the redness I had that was similar to yours easily healed up within two months of using Kinerase. Some people break out from Kinerase. My suggestion would be to use dilluted tea tree oil under the Kinerase so you won't break out. It works great for me. I wouldn't overdo the exfoliation either. Using Retin A about once a week is more than enough exfoliation for your type of "scarring" (in my opinion). If you are on Retin A and using it every night and don't want to cut down (Retin A in my experience when used too often can make redness worse) use the Kinerase in the day time. Kinerase does not conflict with Retin -A use.

james,

i did say earlier in my post that i am actually using retin-a on a daily basis, and have been since may 03, not least because without it (or at a lower frequency of application) my acne comes back. but you said there were 'many' treatments i might want to try...were you thinking of anything else in particular, besides retin-a?

oh, hah, and thank you for the "idea" that i might be pretty, it's one i haven't had for a while.

scorpionvixen,

like i said above...i am obliged to use retina-a nightly, as experimenting with less frequent application ended with my acne coming back. i know my redness isn't a result of retin-a, as i apply it all over my face but it is the only area that has hyperpigmentation. also, the formulation of retin-a that i use is "retinova", which is supposed to be the most mild kind. but i will definitely look into the kinerase. tell me, how would applying tea tree oil under it prevent any breakouts? i'm curious.

Guest Scorpioness

scorpionvixen,

like i said above...i am obliged to use retina-a nightly, as experimenting with less frequent application ended with my acne coming back. i know my redness isn't a result of retin-a, as i apply it all over my face but it is the only area that has hyperpigmentation. also, the formulation of retin-a that i use is "retinova", which is supposed to be the most mild kind. but i will definitely look into the kinerase. tell me, how would applying tea tree oil under it prevent any breakouts? i'm curious.

scorpionvixen,

thank you, i hope kinerase works as well for me; i just ordered some now.

i have a couple more questions, for anybody who cares to answer them -

- has anybody had any significant results with red marks from ingesting particular vitamin supplements?

- is there anywhere besides puredeming.com where i can buy the intense gel? i don't have paypal, and credit card is the only way i can use to buy things on the internet.

- does anybody have before/after pictures of their results with lactic acid peels?