Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ok i need someone to help me out. i have hormonal acne im convinced. im almost certain i have endometriosis due to the excruciating pain i go through each month and 3.5 months after taking yaz my acne cleared up so obviously im not going to a bonehead derms to treat my acne. frankly they do not study the origin of my acne (hormones) and i think because of so they are so snooty when you ask and seek more effective treatment.

Im sorry im venting this is my first post.

so long story short Im off the yaz because it turned me into a nut job. but now im fine......i told me gyno of my symptoms and she said if it persists that means im allergic to bio identical estrogen.

so ive been off the pill for a month my face is the clearest ist been in years. and my confidence is up and i don't wear make up anymore!

but im sad because i know it will eventually come back......So i want to know what is the deal with this natural progesterone cream......does it really work???????????? igotta know because i don't want my skin to go back....

thanx for listening and i welcome any comments:)

Hey there, congratulations on your clear skin! I have a few things to say regarding your post:

1.) Your gynecologist is wrong. The type of estrogen in Yaz is an altered, synthetic hormone called ethinyl estradiol. It is NOT bio-identical. Synthetic drug hormones cause MANY more side effects than natural ones ever will, and it still horrifies me to see that ob/gyns are so misinformed about this.

2.) Natural progesterone cream does work for alot of people, it's worth a try. But it sounds like maybe it's the estrogen that's helping your skin, not the progesterone, maybe. There are natural estrogen creams available though, so don't worry.

Good luck!

You would only want to take bio-identical progesterone if you have low progesterone. Progesterone can convert to androgenic hormones, so too much progesterone would be bad for acne.

You may not need to take hormones at all. What's your diet like? You need to eat a diet that keeps your blood sugar fairly stable/reduces insulin resistance. This will help a lot with balancing your hormones. Supplements can help with this too. A supplement called d-chiro-inositol, which reduces insulin resistance, completely got rid of my excruciatingly painful menstrual cramps.

If you still have hormonal issues after trying these things, then you may want to find a doctor who uses bioidentical hormones. I wouldn't recommend treating yourself.

geeze im a college studen so it isn't terrible like i don't eat horrid stuff like fast food. for the most part i healthy foods veggies all that but its just i sometimes skip meals cuz im so so busy. but mine is def think is hormonal

thank you deadonfive. i appreciate your insightful input. hum so confusing and i only disagree with you on one minute yet big thing...these blasted doctors they know. the know exactly whats going on they are just extremely ambitious.........that is so sad

i have a friend that is a chiropractor and she is telling me that my acne is due to estrogen dominance. idk but know that you made me aware of the natural estrogen i think i might try that. yeah the yaz is like 2/3rds estrogen and one part of spiroldactone however u spell it. so im hoping i will really benefit from the all natural estrogen cream. idk i love my clear skin i feel im going to wake up from this dream of clear skin and just start crying crying..wa wa wa..........

well here is my question @ deadonfive or at anyone else what has been your experience with these natural estrogen creams? do they work.......i can't find much research on them.......

and oh one last thing remember how i told my dr about my throat swelling only at night and how my teeth yes my teeth would hurt like crazy only at night...........well this happened right before i had to take an exit exam to graduate college and due to the stressful situation and that it only happened at night when i would go to sleep(specifically when i laid down) the gyno attributed these strange symptoms to pure anxiety.........she said if it persisted after the test it meant i was allergic. well it did go away for like 1.5 months and then it came back and brought clear skin. but i couldn't take being a nuttjob like that and got off of it.

so with all that said deadonfive do you think i would have the same experience with the natural...im hoping i for the best with this natural estrogen cream....

well thanks for listening i just want my model skin to stay and never leave

i have a friend that is a chiropractor and she is telling me that my acne is due to estrogen dominance. idk but know that you made me aware of the natural estrogen i think i might try that. yeah the yaz is like 2/3rds estrogen and one part of spiroldactone however u spell it. so im hoping i will really benefit from the all natural estrogen cream. idk i love my clear skin i feel im going to wake up from this dream of clear skin and just start crying crying..wa wa wa..........

well here is my question @ deadonfive or at anyone else what has been your experience with these natural estrogen creams? do they work.......i can't find much research on them.......

and oh one last thing remember how i told my dr about my throat swelling only at night and how my teeth yes my teeth would hurt like crazy only at night...........well this happened right before i had to take an exit exam to graduate college and due to the stressful situation and that it only happened at night when i would go to sleep(specifically when i laid down) the gyno attributed these strange symptoms to pure anxiety.........she said if it persisted after the test it meant i was allergic. well it did go away for like 1.5 months and then it came back and brought clear skin. but i couldn't take being a nuttjob like that and got off of it.

so with all that said deadonfive do you think i would have the same experience with the natural...im hoping i for the best with this natural estrogen cream....

1.) I'm on oral bio-identical estrogen right now - I've been on it for 3 months to help me ovulate. It hasn't given me any side effects, but it did not clear my acne either because my acne is caused by something else. And I'm highly estrogen deficient!! But since Yaz cleared you up, it's pretty likely that bio-identicals will work for you. I don't know how well the cream works, sorry.

2.) Your side effects (the teeth and sore throat) could be blamed on the Yaz. It seems likely because synthetic hormones cause alot of side effects, and it sounds like it was consistent with when you were on the pill. Here's an article for you to read on the difference between bioidentical and synthetic hormones. You're not a nut job, and you're not imagining things! Hormones dictate almost every bodily function in one way or another. I doubt that you'd have a bad reaction to bio-identical estrogen if that's what your body needs.

3.) You mentioned that Yaz contains a type of hormone that mimics Spironolactone - have you tried taking Spiro alone? Just wondering, because that might be what helped your skin.

I was diagnosed yesterday with endometrial hyperplasia, which is caused by excess estrogen. They want to treat me with progetserone therapy for 3 months.

So the Dr. says it might even help with the acne - I'll let you know.

All this time I thought I might have excess testosterone, I guess it's best probably to just not mess wth your hormones until you have ablood test done.

I was diagnosed yesterday with endometrial hyperplasia, which is caused by excess estrogen. They want to treat me with progetserone therapy for 3 months.

All this time I thought I might have excess testosterone, I guess it's best probably to just not mess wth your hormones until you have ablood test done.

Really don't take it the wrong way but im actually excited....excited that you got to the root of your problem......Im glad at least someone did. i spend countless hours on the net trying to figure out if im estrogen dominant which i think is the same this as what you said you were diagnosed with. What led you go get to this? Im interested this because. one i find it to be very hard to get a dr to even take steps further for hormonal explanations for acne. like who did you go to a gyno, and endocrinologist, or derm......i found derms to be very tempermental when it comes to hormones.......they don't nothing about them.

But yeah tell me how it goes with the progesterone treatment. from what ive researched the Emerita (i think its called) progesterone seems to be the best brand that people that have had success with.

So I have a few questions because Im think I have the same issue.

What dose are you on and how often and what days during your cycle do you take it?

Did you have any of the typical estrogen dominant symptoms like, pms, endometriosis, pelvic pain during periods, bigger hip and thigh area, moodiness during period etc?

I went to a gynecologist for excessive pain and bleeding during and between periods. They did an endometrial biopsy and found endometrial hyperplasia, a pre-cancerous condition of the lining of the uterus. This is caused by too much estrogen and affects 1 in 1000 women.

I'll be taking 10 mg of provera (orally) a day for days 16-25 of my cycle.

I may be PCOS, I haven't gone for the bloodwork yet. This would be one explanation for my ED.

Another is I'm 36 years old and have not had children, pregnancy creates alot of progesterone and breaks up the constant flow of estrogen.

Doesn't look very hopeful that I will ever have children now, and ironically I am getting married next summer.

I actually have very skinny hips and thighs and swollen abdomen and breasts. I also have severe PMS issues (obviously).

I wouldn't mess with your hormones unless you're diagnosed, you can really screw yourself up. Ask your gyn for a blood test.

Really don't take it the wrong way but im actually excited....excited that you got to the root of your problem......Im glad at least someone did. i spend countless hours on the net trying to figure out if im estrogen dominant which i think is the same this as what you said you were diagnosed with. What led you go get to this? Im interested this because. one i find it to be very hard to get a dr to even take steps further for hormonal explanations for acne. like who did you go to a gyno, and endocrinologist, or derm......i found derms to be very tempermental when it comes to hormones.......they don't nothing about them.

But yeah tell me how it goes with the progesterone treatment. from what ive researched the Emerita (i think its called) progesterone seems to be the best brand that people that have had success with.

So I have a few questions because Im think I have the same issue.

What dose are you on and how often and what days during your cycle do you take it?

Did you have any of the typical estrogen dominant symptoms like, pms, endometriosis, pelvic pain during periods, bigger hip and thigh area, moodiness during period etc?

Hi,

I was wondering if you had any success with progesterone so far?

I Can'tbelieve somebody els had allmy symptons.I was on Yas only for a month,it destroy my stomach completely,the next 2 months I was on alesse and finallyDiane 35 which they said it is the only BCP that can help with acne.

make the story short I had to stop them,I had all the side effects listed and also some weird ones out of nowhere.my throat hurts alot and some strange pulling sense in my throat,muscle and joint pain......

it's been 5 months I'm off the pill my acne came back and this time was so severe , I never had these cystic acne on my jawline,neck and back

I lived with it for 4months and I just couldnt take it I had to go backon accutane.

although myprogesterone is very low I did a saliva test and surprisinglyeverything els was fine except for progesterone.

I'm using natural progesterone cream,but my cycles are still off.it might be not enough progesterone.

please let me know if you've started the treatment yet...I'm worried to go on mini pills since my body is regecting any kind of synthetic hormonesTHANKS TO YAZ AND DIANE

I'll be beginning my second cycle of synthetic progesterone tomorrow.

I can honestly say I've noticed a huge difference already in my acne, however, I'm taking it to hopefully reverse a pre-cancerous condition of the lining of my uterus so...

clearing the acne is a pleasant side effect of a much bigger problem for me.

Side effects are minimal, so far...

I'm wondering if progesterone is the answer for me as well. Some doctors have suggested that I have a hormonal imbalance because of my acne and hair growth but when tests are run they say it's normal. Well, my husband and I were having trouble having children and in order to conceive and keep a pregnancy I had to go on lots of progesterone because the fertility clinic said I wasn't making my own. My skin was the clearest it has ever been while I was pregnant and came back several months after having my son. Do I need a prescription for the progesterone? What should I be asking my doctors?

you need a prescription for high doses of synthetic prog. like Provera, but there's all natural creams out there that you don't need prescritptions for, and the dosages are lower.

I have no idea if the lower doses in the natural creams are as effective as the prescription strength in treating acne, but I would assume they would be much safer to use long term as the synthetic stuff has lots of nasty long term side effects that I'm honestly nervous about even taking it for 3 months.

I will be asking my Dr. his opinion of the natural prog. creams when I go in for my follow up next month, as I do like the way the prescription stuff has helped my skin and my monthly issues quite a bit.

Hi, I was also clear on the pill and decided to come off it and try something else. I thought since my acne seemed to be hormonal I would also try progesterone, but it didn't work for me at all - in fact I think it may have made it a bit worse.

However, I tried peppermint tea, which boosts your estrogen, and this has definitely helped quite a bit, I would say I got to about 70% clear on 1 to 2 cups (average 1.5) a day. However, it does have some other side effects. I didn't used to get PMS or pre-menstrual moodswings at all, now I do have that and my cramps last for about 24hrs whereas before I would get away with about an hour of it.

I would say you could self diagnose on the following basis: if you have lots of menstrual/pre-menstrual problems then your acne is likely due to estrogen dominance and then progesterone cream will likely help. Otherwise go for the estrogen.

I have also started trying other things, I may also re-introduce the progesterone in conjunction with the peppermint tea just to see if it helps with the pms!

Thanx scubachick. i appreciate the response...its funny that you are speaking of estrogen dominance and self diagnosing. well i just finished trying to call my gyno to write a prescription for muscle relaxers because im off the pill and im scared for my next period to come. but i want to back it up for a min....if i was on birth control(estrogen) pills for my endometriosis in additio (in to my acne problem) and if i am estrogen dominant then why would having extra estrogen via the bc pills clear my skin? I don't know im all confused.......

but i appreciate your response scubachick....i more than likely am estrogen dominant because i am very bottom heavy.....

well i will be seeing a new derm soon...he has an excellent reputation..so i will let you ladies know of my progress or lack there of in response to any new treatment.

thanx

missprissy