Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reaver

Everyday Minerals - How did you...

I've been lurking the forums here for quite a while and have found that a lot of people recommend Everyday Minerals as their makeup of choice. I went on their website and found that they have this great offer of sending you 5 free samples in a small kit. My only problem now is that I have a really hard time comparing their colors on screen (since every monitor is different) to my actual skin color.

How did you go about in choosing your perfect Everyday Minerals shades?

Is there anything in particular (concealer, eye makeup, foundation, lips, brushes, etc etc) that you absolutely swear by?

Do you use other makeup products along with EM?

What is your EM makeup regimen?

Thanks in advance! :)

Is there anything in particular (concealer, eye makeup, foundation, lips, brushes, etc etc) that you absolutely swear by?

Thanks in advance! :)

Well, it took a few orders to find out what my perfect shade was, but I guess that's why they offer the free sample package, so that we can find our perfect shade before ordering a full sized version.

When you say "other makeup products" what do you mean? If you mean anything else on the skin - I apply sunscreen, then Makeup Forever micro hd powder as a primer (my HOLY GRAIL!!!!!), concealer from EDM, and foundation. Oh, and EDM blush!

My regimine is:

Apply Neutragena SPF45 Dry touch sunscreen (keeps my oily skin super matte)

Apply Makeup Forever Micro HD powder (this increases the EDM's staying power for hours and hours and HOURS! I love this stuff!?

Apply EDM concealer with a mini eyeshadow brush BEFORE my foundation

Apply a light dust of foundation to even out tone with a skunk brush (mac 187/188)

Apply blush with an angled blush brush

Done!

Polska Laska, I have the makeup forever hd powder and have tried applying it before my EDM foundation....but I notice the foundation does not stay and cover as well as when I apply after moisturizing (and before powder). I hear alot of girls apply their finishing powder before foundation/concealer application and am curious how the coverage is enough. I hate applying finishing powder after mineral foundation because it just looks so powdery and obvious that Im wearing makeup. What is your secret??

Polska Laska, I have the makeup forever hd powder and have tried applying it before my EDM foundation....but I notice the foundation does not stay and cover as well as when I apply after moisturizing (and before powder). I hear alot of girls apply their finishing powder before foundation/concealer application and am curious how the coverage is enough. I hate applying finishing powder after mineral foundation because it just looks so powdery and obvious that Im wearing makeup. What is your secret??

Are you using a teeny tiny amount of the micro HD powder? You only need a very little bit! Do you apply it with a makeup brush? I use a fluffy blush brush from sephora to apply. I'm actually very suprised that the micro HD powder hasn't made you as happy am I am, and my skin is super finicky! What type of brush are you applying your concealer with? You should try a very dense eyeshadow brush (with a tiny head)... Like mine (see the one in the pic below). The secret to a flawless finish is really in the concealer. The foundation is just the icing on the cake.

eyeshadow brush

I did it after about 4 sample orders. And they changed their coloring system in the middle of my process complicating it up. My advice is to test the heavier coverages like the intense or matte and unless you can tell for sure if you skin is olive or whatever, stick with the neutrals.

I LOVE EDM!!! I ordered my 4th super kit in 2 months just last night, and I'm sure I'll do another once the new site/items come out. I've turned into an EDM addict. :shifty:

First, I tried matching my face. That was OK, but after taking a good look at the matter, my face was lightening from the AHA+ (a good thing since my face was so much darker than my neck) I decided to do swatches on my face AND my neck. Since I have acne scarring, I wanted the heaviest coverage of intensive. With the intensive formulations, be sure to test them prior to ordering full sizes because the intensives can be darker than other formulations.

I have blonde hair and blue eyes, light yellow AND pink undertones in my 'light' skin. After reading from two different places on the site as to how to match my skin, the buff category fit me best. I'm a Perfect Intensive when I want a cooler tone, and a Fairly Light Intensive when I want some more color/yellow to my complexion. Yep, I can wear both. And in the end I like being between the two colors because I can wear both cool AND warm tones when it comes to blush and eye make up! So don't be afraid to experiment a bit. Make up can actually be a lot of fun again!

I love the intensive formula base because of the luminousity. It's not too sheeny, not chalky matte...it's perfect. I also like the mint color correcter to take away the red I can sometimes get in my face after working out or having had too much sun. Oh, and the brushes are fab and I own quite a few, but Ecotools from Walgreens (Target may have them too?) work as a close second.

Definately try some blushes! Even the dark ones! I really like New Mom occasionally, but it must be applied sparingly. But instead of having an obviously blob of blush slapped on my cheeks, I have this lovely flush...like blush is supposed to do! Some double as eyeshadows!

I've just recently gotten into their eyeshadows/liners, anmd half of my next order is eyeshadows! I've always preferred powder eyeshadows in general, but I like how they put there colors together (what color sparkles in a shadow, etc.).

I use Rimmel Makeup Primer and am currently searching for a better mascara. That's it!

Wash, JO, BP, then moisturizer, let it dry

Rimmel Primer

Mint color correcter if needed

Dust my T-zone or whole face if necessary with EDM Sunlight Kaolin

Light, light light, base application over entire face

Intensive Fair or Multi-Intensive Concealer, being sure to get eyes, nose, etc.

Last light light light base layer

Eyes

Blush

That's it! I don't use the kaolin after base because it affects the luminousity of the whole look. Before base is enough to last most of my 12+ hour work shifts! I just use blotting papers to pik up oil as necessary (once, maybe twice during the shift). I have oily skin if I don't moisturize properly, or if I had to get physical at work.

Hope this long-winded post helped some!

I LOVE EDM!!! I ordered my 4th super kit in 2 months just last night, and I'm sure I'll do another once the new site/items come out. I've turned into an EDM addict. :shifty:

First, I tried matching my face. That was OK, but after taking a good look at the matter, my face was lightening from the AHA+ (a good thing since my face was so much darker than my neck) I decided to do swatches on my face AND my neck. Since I have acne scarring, I wanted the heaviest coverage of intensive. With the intensive formulations, be sure to test them prior to ordering full sizes because the intensives can be darker than other formulations.

I have blonde hair and blue eyes, light yellow AND pink undertones in my 'light' skin. After reading from two different places on the site as to how to match my skin, the buff category fit me best. I'm a Perfect Intensive when I want a cooler tone, and a Fairly Light Intensive when I want some more color/yellow to my complexion. Yep, I can wear both. And in the end I like being between the two colors because I can wear both cool AND warm tones when it comes to blush and eye make up! So don't be afraid to experiment a bit. Make up can actually be a lot of fun again!

I love the intensive formula base because of the luminousity. It's not too sheeny, not chalky matte...it's perfect. I also like the mint color correcter to take away the red I can sometimes get in my face after working out or having had too much sun. Oh, and the brushes are fab and I own quite a few, but Ecotools from Walgreens (Target may have them too?) work as a close second.

Definately try some blushes! Even the dark ones! I really like New Mom occasionally, but it must be applied sparingly. But instead of having an obviously blob of blush slapped on my cheeks, I have this lovely flush...like blush is supposed to do! Some double as eyeshadows!

I've just recently gotten into their eyeshadows/liners, anmd half of my next order is eyeshadows! I've always preferred powder eyeshadows in general, but I like how they put there colors together (what color sparkles in a shadow, etc.).

I use Rimmel Makeup Primer and am currently searching for a better mascara. That's it!

Wash, JO, BP, then moisturizer, let it dry

Rimmel Primer

Mint color correcter if needed

Dust my T-zone or whole face if necessary with EDM Sunlight Kaolin

Light, light light, base application over entire face

Intensive Fair or Multi-Intensive Concealer, being sure to get eyes, nose, etc.

Last light light light base layer

Eyes

Blush

That's it! I don't use the kaolin after base because it affects the luminousity of the whole look. Before base is enough to last most of my 12+ hour work shifts! I just use blotting papers to pik up oil as necessary (once, maybe twice during the shift). I have oily skin if I don't moisturize properly, or if I had to get physical at work.

Hope this long-winded post helped some!

Best post ever, SO informative! =]

I am in love with the original glo formulation and my color is sunkissed fair (I love the name, too! It's better than "pasty but with a slight tan" haha. After reading your post about the intensive formula, I really want to give it a try. It's the only formula I haven't used yet, because I thought that it would be too intense hense the name "intensive". I usually do a light dusting of the foundation and it's enough coverage for me. I bet you probably don't have to use much of the intensive formula to cover, and I really like that.

I love the blushes as well, I want to order a few more soon!

Best post ever, SO informative! =]

I am in love with the original glo formulation and my color is sunkissed fair (I love the name, too! It's better than "pasty but with a slight tan" haha. After reading your post about the intensive formula, I really want to give it a try. It's the only formula I haven't used yet, because I thought that it would be too intense hense the name "intensive". I usually do a light dusting of the foundation and it's enough coverage for me. I bet you probably don't have to use much of the intensive formula to cover, and I really like that.

I love the blushes as well, I want to order a few more soon!

You're welcome! Hope it helps someone because I certainly remember feeling SO stumped when ordering my first sample kit. So I read, read, and read some more. Even then, all one can do is sit back and look at their needs, then their wants, and order the sample kit and go from there. Oh! Do note that you can order sample kits WITH your full or super kits too. I didn't know that the first time I ordered a super kit.

The intensive formula is definately applied with a light hand, so to speak. I forgot to mention that it can be used as a concealer, but I have such terrible dark circles that sit recessed on my face that I need something a bit more stout so to speak. Some days the base is enough to help, some days it isn't. As far as coverage for red marks and such, if you REALLY watch the BE commercials, notice how the makeup seems to diffuse the light somehow rather than having gobs of makeup on a zit like a little makeup mountain. Most of the time I don't need to pack on concealer or even foundation like I would with liquid makeups for this very reason: somehow the light is diffused away from the blemish. this works well for dark circles too! And I have quite the pair of them, believe me. I look like a heroin addict w/o makeup.

For a comparison about the intensive verses drug store brands (I only tried the intensive EDM), if I applied the intensive like I did Loreal and Physician's Formula, I'd literally have to wipe half of it off! I'd have a cake face otherwise!

Another comparison: remember way back when, when all we had was liquid or panstick base and setting powder? The face was chalky but after a few hours the makeup looked incredible? Hours after that you had to mop oil slick off, but there was that period of time between the chalky and oil slick look when your face looked like you wanted it too? THAT'S how the finishing powder (put on first!) and light layer of intensive looks on me! Hence my love for it!

Hopefully those completely random comparisons (LOL) may help folks looking to cover acne make a decision as to what the need, then want. :D

Also for the OP: check out their forum. There's lots of folks ordering their first sample kits and such, they take pics of themselves and post them. They also do swatches/put the makeup on and do pics and ask. It's a really friendly and helpful forum!

Are you using a teeny tiny amount of the micro HD powder? You only need a very little bit! Do you apply it with a makeup brush? I use a fluffy blush brush from sephora to apply. I'm actually very suprised that the micro HD powder hasn't made you as happy am I am, and my skin is super finicky! What type of brush are you applying your concealer with? You should try a very dense eyeshadow brush (with a tiny head)... Like mine (see the one in the pic below). The secret to a flawless finish is really in the concealer. The foundation is just the icing on the cake.

Hmm, maybe I am using too much of the HD powder, I also use a fluffy blush/foundation brush to apply it with. For concealer, I use Urban Decay's Wonder Brush (has multiple uses for makeup ie. concealer, eyeshadow, eyebrows, lips, etc.)...I used to use a regular eyeshadow brush but found the wonder brush is a little more precise in application, though it does take me longer to apply than an eyeshadow brush. My problem may be I am using too much powder, I will try using less next time.....thanks!! p.s. I do love how silky it makes my skin feel after applying it though!

I am a HUGE fan of EDM (see my sig - i belong to the cult and everything! ;))

I always recommend sending EM a picture of you, without makeup, in natural light. in turn, they will recommend which shade(s) and formula are best for you. for me, it was trial and error - but I've found my perfect combination - Buff Beige Neutral and Buff Perfect in Intensive- an even mix of both :D

I absolutely swear by their eye kabuki brush, their flat top brush, their foundation, their blushes (apple and sunday brunch are my FAVS!), and their finishing dust.....

I do use other makeup products along with EM - BeneFit Eye Bright and BeneFit High Brow, Maybelline Full 'n' Soft Mascara (my HG mascara) and various lip glosses. I do like to switch up my blushes between the EM blushes and BeneFit's Dallas blush. I tend to stick with either EM Apple, Sunday Brunch, or BeneFit Dallas. Sunday Brunch is HIGHLY pigmented, so a little goes a very long way.

Here's my regimen (I tend to use very little and I like to keep it simple, especially since I'm getting older - less is more ;)):

Cleanse with Cetaphil for sensitive skin

Moisturize (day only) with Olay Complete All Day UV Defense SPF 15 for Sensitive Skin

Apply foundation with either puff jar or flat top brush

Conceal where needed

apply Eye Bright and High Brow - blend well

Curl eyelashes then apply mascara

Apply blush

Apply Carmex, follow with gloss of choice

groom eyebrows with eyebrow brush

that's it.....it takes me no more than 10 minutes to do my makeup - unless I decide to do my eyes, then it can be up to 20 minutes because I like to take my time and get it right. but, most of the time, I don't do my eyes, so 10 min max - closer to 5, actually....

HTH :D

I am in love with the original glo formulation and my color is sunkissed fair (I love the name, too! It's better than "pasty but with a slight tan" haha. After reading your post about the intensive formula, I really want to give it a try.

I use both. Intensive on my cheeks and nose where I have the most hyperpigmentations and glo everywhere else.

But if you pick your shade by testing with glo, then decide to get a heavier coverage, you might find it's not a good match because you don't need as good a match with sheerer coverage.