Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have suffered from acne for about fourteen years. I have tried everything on the market, excluding laser treatments. About four years ago, I came across a website that said that dairy products cause acne in some people. It is the result of an allergic reaction to milk. I cut out dairy and amazingly I have no more acne. I have been four years and going without any major blemishes. The only time I get acne is when I mistakenly consume something that has milk in it. For me it usually takes about 6-12 hours for the acne to appear once I do consume a dairy product. On that note, it is staggering how much food we eat that contain milk products. I basically had to change the entire way I shop for groceries and eat. I look at the nutritional information of every single thing I put in my body. Most packaged foods will have a list of the allergens it has in it at the bottom of the ingredient list. If it says CONTAINS DAIRY, I don't eat it and I don't get acne. It's crazy.

Dang, it sucks that it took you that long to acquire that information... but at least you have it now, right? ;) All things considered, only having to avoid dairy is a pretty sweet deal.

Damnit, I just bought a gallon of 1% milk and 10 cups of yogurt as snacks. Well, next week...

How long did it take you to clear up, and what type of acne did you have? There have been long periods where I have gone very low on dairy (like most of college), and periods like recently where I have been very high on dairy, yet looking back now I don't see any correlation between acne and dairy.

did you acne take a few months to clear up after cutting out dairy or was there an overnight transformation?

i'm wondering how long it took to see results

I agree completely!

I went on a diet for 3 months where i cut out most yeast and dairy products and seen a huge improvement.

After the 3 months my whole back and chest area was clear. Still had a few issues with the face but nothing half as bad as what it was.

After i finished the diet i started to eat diary products again and my acne flared back twice as bad (of course it took a month or 2 to get to that stage, its not like you'd wake up the morning after you drank some milk and have a face full of acne)

So i learnt my lesson and have began to cut dairy out of my diet.

Its only been 3 days but the acne on my face has reduced in redness considerably. :dance: ...the back might take some more time

Im an anesthesiologist in Dallas and have talked to my dermatology colleagues about this. Most will say that it should not cause acne. However, personally; If I have any dairy, within about 24-36 hours I get a breakout. If I avoid dairy = clear, vibrant skin....

I've read just the opposite. That raw milk is good for acne, especially cystic acne as it gives the body the essential fats it needs. Also if you've eliminated sugar from your diet, milk sugar is supposedly fine.

I don't know, I always feel better after having drank milk.

This month's Men's Health discusses the link b/w dairy and acne. Good information and I'm happy to see the mainstream media giving it some recognition.

Edited by mike_wf

dairy is bad because the asshole milkfarmers inject cows with hormones to keep them pregnant ALL THEIR LIVES so they would produce milk.

Can you imagine, if you were a PREGNANT WOMAN ALL YOUR LIFE?!?!?

I think everybody should completely boycott milk until they shut that kind of operations down

I drink organic milk, and I don't get acne from that.

I also drink soymilk, because I NEED my calcium, I'm like a nutrition nazi.

Usually it depends on the specific person...I used to get breakouts from drinking a glass of 2%, but that was the drug-injected supermilk thats available at the grocery store. I think it mostly has to do with whether you react to the hormones or not.

Usually it depends on the specific person...I used to get breakouts from drinking a glass of 2%, but that was the drug-injected supermilk thats available at the grocery store. I think it mostly has to do with whether you react to the hormones or not.

That's what I'm thinking. Some people may have allergens to the hormones in milk. Milk has been great for me and it's a shame to miss out on all of the proteins and nutrients milk provides. Which is A LOT.

dairy is bad because the asshole milkfarmers inject cows with hormones to keep them pregnant ALL THEIR LIVES so they would produce milk.

Can you imagine, if you were a PREGNANT WOMAN ALL YOUR LIFE?!?!?

I think everybody should completely boycott milk until they shut that kind of operations down

No. Milk naturally contains hormones which humans might have some problems with (since, after all, we're not made to drink cow's milk, especially not as adults).

I've cut out dairy since the start of this year and it's better now than it was back then, but I'm not so sure about the correlation.