Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm here because not many people take this problem seriously. My dermatologist frowned upon it, I went to therapy to see if they could help, and they ignored it, and my family won't really cooperate to help me, they say "just stop picking". As you probably know, it's freakin' hard!

I've been picking since I was in elementary school.

Now, I am 18 and my acne did get worse, however, I pick more than EVER. My face looks like a scabby, infected mess and I just obsessively stare at it and put lotions, gels, etc on the pick marks.Then, ritualistically cover the scabs with layers of make-up.

I'm dedicating myself to stopping this awful habit because I am starting to scar my face.

I've cut my nails short (helps a little) and covered the mirrors in my room (helps but then I just find a different mirror in a different part of the house..)

I want to find another way to stop. I'd love to know what anyone else has done to help end this vicious cycle.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Danielle

All the techniques you mentioned will help, but they wouldn't be able to really get me there. Not all the way. Seems you're having the same problem.

The thing that got my to stop touching my face was to realize the consequences. It gives me more/worse acne, period. My fingers have bacteria all over them, for one thing. But even more important is that if I squeeze something, I'm pushing the infection farther into my skin, causing it to spread and last longer and ALL that jazz. Not to mention picking always leaves the skin looking worse, not better.

I finally thought, hey, I've changed everything else in order to promote an acne free life. I've changed the way I sleep, the way I shower, things I eat and drink, the way I handle sun exposure-- everything. So the fact that I picked had to change too.

Just remember you're making it worse if you pick. It worked for me, at least.

Popping and picking can definitely make your skin a lot worst and I would know from experience. But realistically speaking, who’s not going to pop a white head that’s staring at you on your face? I've noticed that once I bought a black head remover tool (I use for white heads only) from my local pharmacy that I do not pick and pop as often. When using this tool, they pop but do not get as irritated as they would with would your fingers/nails. You also usually get everything out with one shot and you just know when to stop. It also helps to steam your face before you pop anything. Hope this helps.

I bought one of those remover things too and promised myself I was only going to use it on little blackheads and obvious white heads. I ended up going to town with it on some larger, cystic type zits that didn't have any head on them yet. I'm too out of control to be trusted with one of those things. haha Needless to say, I threw that thing out..

Hey there

So I'm a skin picker too. I've done talk therapy, Anti-depressants, cognitive behavioral therapy, support groups - everything out there to help me stop scratching at my face and leaving unsightly scars. Over the past few years, I've come to accept that this is who I am, and it's my most terrible and secret flaw that I hate about myself.

After realizing how terrible skin picking is and how bad my face looks after I gauge it with my nails - I've tried to come up with ways to reduce the damage done immediately after a particularly intense picking session.

My number one solution to PIH (Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation) is Tretinoin. The medication increases cell turnover, and without a doubt reduces that "freshly picked" look of acne after you go at it. You have to use it regularly in order for it to work, plus you're definitely going to experience some peeling, but it works. Just to give you an idea - Last week I was particularlly stressed out and picked myself to the point of bleeding. That night, I slathered on some good ol' tretinoin and the next day the redness was only a tiny bit reduced, but over the next two nights the damage was very visibly faded. Granted, I know this may just be MY experience with MY skin, but i know that my skin is average and it responds well to .05% tretinoin cream. It's powerful stuff, but I've really noticed how much it helps someone like me, who obsessively ruins her face whenever there's a pimple.

Go ahead and message me if you want to talk about skin picking - I've had EXTENSIVE experience with this particular disease (and yes, it is absolutely a disease) and am not shy discussing it and providing support.

I bought one of those remover things too and promised myself I was only going to use it on little blackheads and obvious white heads. I ended up going to town with it on some larger, cystic type zits that didn't have any head on them yet. I'm too out of control to be trusted with one of those things. haha Needless to say, I threw that thing out..

Lol .. Well i've learned the hard way not to mess with anything until it comes to a head. I just think the tool is a lot better than using your fingers. For some reason everytime I use my fingers it just makes everything worst. They get more irritated and all the good stuff doesnt come out all the way. We all have our preferences.

Luckily, for me, picking is never subconscious. I only get the urge to pick/pop when I glance at myself in the mirror and see an unusually prominent whitehead staring back at me, or a patch of slightly peeling skin in an area where I didn't moisturize enough.

From there on, it's just pure willpower. Given the fact that I've already given up so much of what I love for the sake of potentially putting an end to my acne, I just convince myself that popping one little whitehead and then having my acne get worse as a direct result is simply not worth it. I then redirect my attention to something else, and eventually forget about picking/popping entirely.