Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
strato

Since sun worked me, will the light treatments also work?

I used to sunbath a hour a day or so without sunscreen every day or so for a week. No new acne appeared and I think the older ones healed faster as well. As soon as it got cloudy and rainy (no more sun) I broke out whiteheads on my forehead. I think the sun was doing something. Will the light treatments be as effective or even more effective? I should be receiving my CSB in a few days.

I'm not an expert, but as far as I understand light therapy works on exactly the principle that it mimics the Sun's beneficial light while excluding the harmful UV.

The sun has always worked really well for me and light therapy does too!

Therasol from visol.com worked for me! And it is working for my teenage brother now... It is easy to use and does what it says it should... Kill bacteria, get rid of existing acne and prevent breakouts. My skin has never been better since acne entered my life. I now share Therasol with my brother since I hardly need it anymore - just as and when I get paranoid about an impending zit!

I've gone on to purchase Peelife, another visol.com product... Home microdermabrasion which refreshes my skin giving me the glow and softness. Now I no longer envy the skin of little children because I have pretty skin myself! ;)

Cool, I'll make sure I won't buy from your product. You wouldn't be advertising it unless you had trouble selling that crap.

I had to join this forum after reading the first post, as I have my own experience with the SUN working wonders for me...

First off, I am 27, my hair is receeding and I have zits...

I live here in Chicago where the Sun is not all that strong. I took a trip to Southern Florida for a week back in April and the Sun did WONDERS for me!!!

I swear to you, after 5 days on 10 different Beaches ALL my hair grew back!!! My fiance could not believe it!!! Not only this but my face cleared also!

I am not bald where I am receeding per-say, but you can def tell my hair is thinning and I have no hair in spots where I used to.

After Florida it all grew back, just as thick as when I was 16!!! When my dad seen me his Jaw dropped (as he been looking for a balding cure for 30 years!). I don't know what in the world the sun did to my head to make it grow more hair, but it worked wonders! YES, I got sun-burn up there, but I didn't care, I had RICH THICK HAIR!!! I would like to note I was also swimming in the Ocean for like 3-4 hours a day as-well, maybe the natural Ocean salt helped as-well with the sun, I don't know.

My face cleared and I got no new Zits while out there, sun burn on my face as-well but I didn't care, I rather have a Sun-Burned face then monster ZITS!

N-E-Wayz

Within a month of getting back from Florida the new hair that grew fell out and all the Zits came back!

I discovered Blue Light Theorpy just a couple days ago while researching the "Thermaclear" acne zit-zapper. I will be getting the BlueMd from Trophy Skin (as well as my Zit-Zapper) as I cannot find one bad review on it. Out of 14 reviews on Amazon it got 5 stars from every reviewer. If there is one even better then the BlueMd, or you feel it's better, please let me know, but from what I read it gives out 410nm light density, identical to that in the Doc's office.

I am hoping this Blue Light will work on my hair as-well as my acne just as the Sun did in Florida. I will be getting my BlueMd by Months end once my Credit Card clears, I will report back on both my hair and acne :)

Paul

Has the Trophy Skin light been working for you Paul? I just got one myself, and I've only had it for a day, but I'm trying to find someone else who has had experience/success with it.

Guys, the sun rocks! So much of life would be better if we weren't sitting in offices, stores, factories or what-have-you all day. If only we could all afford to live in a sunny-all-year-round climate, we'd probably find that a lot of what ails us would probably go away.

For the sake of this acne (and hair?!?) discussion, the sun is doing a number of things. First, is the UV. Contrary to popular belief, the UV is pretty beneficial, unless you don't get regular sun and then go out and bake yourself in it. Anyway, the UV doses you with Vitamin D, which triggers a number of very complicated things with glands and hormones which eventually lead to a reduction in acne production in the first place.

Second, the sun provides the entire RANGE of light to pound on your acne bacteria. Blue light is the MOST touted wavelength to kill acne, but all light affects it to some degree. See, UV is the MOST effective at killing acne in a test tube. Unfortunately, UV can't punch very deep thru the skin. The higher up the spectrum you go (UV-violet-blue-green-yellow-orange-red-infrared) the deeper the penetration you get, but the less effective the light is on acne. Original studies (roughly 10 years old now) concentrated on the blue (violet, really, but we'll go with blue since it seems to have stuck) 405-420nm range, since that seemed to be a happy compromise of getting near to the killing power of UV, but with enough punch to work into the skin. Anyway, more recent studies have shown that, while light gets LESS effective as it works its way up the spectrum, it still has at least SOME effect, AND IT GOES DEEPER! So, the broad spectrum of the sun actually delivers more acne killing power than a single wavelength ever could, and at a variety of depths.

Third, there's healing to consider. A lot of research has been done on the healing properties of higher wavelength lights such as amber, red and near infrared, in some cases cutting healing to about a quarter the time. This is one of the reasons that a lot of the acne lamps also have a red component in them. Again, the sun is giving you the full range, so you're getting plenty of energy-restoring power directly to the acne-traumatized cells which will heal faster (right up until you go ahead and bake them in the sun, anyway).

Finally, let's talk about hair, PimPaul Pop. It sounds like your hair loss is recent enough that the follicles are not actually dead, probably just dying, which is a good thing. A lot of current hair loss treatments use red lasers to stimulate these 'mostly dead' follicles into regenerating. People who 'get' the concept, but can't afford the $3-5K it would cost them for the laser treatments have been experimenting with red LEDs and such, and many with at least some success. These stories are anecdotal, but they seem very reasonable. The sun's higher visible wavelengths, especially up in the red and infrared, probably stimulated the regeneration of your hair.

Hope the information helps. Since its summer (at least in the northern hemisphere) try taking a walk (I run and bike at lunch) for 5-10 minutes a day, exposed to the midday sun, and see if you don't notice a difference.

Anyway, the UV doses you with Vitamin D, which triggers a number of very complicated things with

glands and hormones which eventually lead to a reduction in acne production in the first place.

Unfortunately, there's little to no evidence that Vitamin D produces statistically significant improvements in acne or that there is any significant variation in acne with latitude (as would be expected if UV exposure decreased acne).

Second, the sun provides the entire RANGE of light to pound on your acne bacteria. Blue light is the MOST touted wavelength to kill acne

Unfortunately, most people who don't have acne have plenty of P. acnes bacteria on their skin. To say that the bacteria "causes" acne is kinda like saying falling out of an airplane doesn't kill people -- only hitting the ground. Blue light is also most effective at causing retinal damage, FWIW.

Anyway, the UV doses you with Vitamin D, which triggers a number of very complicated things with

glands and hormones which eventually lead to a reduction in acne production in the first place.

Unfortunately, there's little to no evidence that Vitamin D produces statistically significant improvements in acne or that there is any significant variation in acne with latitude (as would be expected if UV exposure decreased acne).

The problem I have with this board is that its hard to point people to literature, since links outside the forum are summarily commented out. That being said, while there may not be a TON of documentation on studies performed with Vitamin D and acne, that doesn't mean they aren't any. Unfortunately, while the field of light medicine isn't new, the onset of antibiotics stagnated most real research in the area for years. If you'd like a link to one doctor's study on using Vitamin D to combat acne, DM me here or @lighttherapy (my wife) on twitter. So, I guess my question would be this: while there has been very little showing that vitamin D DOES affect acne levels, do you know of any research that shows that vitamin D DOES NOT affect acne levels, as we would be very interested in getting hold of that kind of information.

So, as to your actual points...

Vitamin D

The lesions caused by the OVERPRODUCTION of P. acnes is a result of something spurring an overproduction of sebum. This something is an overproduction of Androgen, a hormone in both men and women. The insulin hormone plays a major factor in balancing the body's hormones in general, including the androgen hormone, so it is important to help keep your insulin levels in check. Several things that can pound on your body's insulin levels directly are diet (sugary foods and alcohol), heredity, drugs and (wait for it) low vitamin D levels.

As for the latitude of a person's location, the statement was made specifically to the point that latitude absolutely has a bearing on vitamin D levels year round. The angle of the sun thru the atmosphere and simply the amount of daylight hours and the amount of clothing you wear would all heavily contribute to how much natural vitamin D your body produces, and studies have shown fairly consistently that people who live in warmer climates have higher levels of vitamin D.

Second, the sun provides the entire RANGE of light to pound on your acne bacteria. Blue light is the MOST touted wavelength to kill acne

Unfortunately, most people who don't have acne have plenty of P. acnes bacteria on their skin. To say that the bacteria "causes" acne is kinda like saying falling out of an airplane doesn't kill people -- only hitting the ground. Blue light is also most effective at causing retinal damage, FWIW.

Agreed. P. acnes is NOT the actual cause of acne, nor is killing P. acnes a 'cure'. See my above explanation as to the cause of acne.

That being said, once your androgen levels have been screwed up and your oil glands have gone into overdrive and pores get clogged, P. acnes overmultiplies. In clinical settings, the blue light is used to knock the P. Acnes count back down. Blue light isn't a cure, its a treatment. Curing acne requires getting the oil levels under control. While I made reference to why blue light is used in my comment, I am promoting natural sunlight.