Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tritonxiv

The quest to create an effective anti-shine / anti-oil solution.

After years of dealing with oily skin, I am now doing something to help myself and possibly others who suffer with the same greasy inconvenience. I am designing a treatment that will effectively combat an extremely oily or shiny complexion.

Here's a breakdown of the characteristics I would like to see such a product possess:

• Has a spreadable consistency. Goes on smooth, with a gel/cream texture.

Instantly mattifies the skin, taking away shine as soon as you apply it.

Absorbs oil and keeps the skin matte for as long as humanly possible. Target is around 6-12 hours.

Acts as a sunblock. SPF 15-30.

Is sweat, water, and rub resistant. Meaning it won't wear off during strenuous activities.

Can be worn on top of your daily moisturizer and under makeup.

Is invisible on the skin making it useful for both men and women.

What I need from you is input. Please list any other characteristics you would like to see in such a product. All coments or suggestions are welcome.

Milk of magnesia won't address all of your points, but it's an easy, safe, and oil-absorbing base layer that you can use on affected areas and then apply sunblock or another product on top. Available in drug stores or grocery stores. Look for the original formula, apply directly to the skin with a cotton ball. I use it for back acne and for absorbing oil on my forehead. The oil absorption effect lasts a long time during the day for me.

Milk of magnesia won't address all of your points, but it's an easy, safe, and oil-absorbing base layer that you can use on affected areas and then apply sunblock or another product on top. Available in drug stores or grocery stores. Look for the original formula, apply directly to the skin with a cotton ball. I use it for back acne and for absorbing oil on my forehead. The oil absorption effect lasts a long time during the day for me.

Yes, Milk of Magnesia is actually a primary ingrediant in the formulation I have been working on. I agree, it's oil absorbing properties are fantastic. However, I find the application of pure Milk of Magnesia bit too unweildy for me in several ways:

For me, applying the runny liquid with a cotton ball was uncomfortable, inconvenient, and extremely drying. When using pure Milk of Magnesia, it went on clear. However when it evaporated off the skin I was often left with white streaks on various parts of my face. When time is a factor and you need to look your best, it is very disconcerting to look in a mirror and find your face looks *ahem* not the best.

In addition, after sweating, getting wet, or just rubbing my face, the Milk of Magnesia would come off, leaving strange shiny/oily patches on my skin.

The formulation I'm coming up with does not change color as it dries, is easy to spread and is instantly matte, so you know how it's going to look in the next 10 minutes or beyond.

It's also has the power to stay on and stay matte after heavy sweating or swimming.

(Yes I tested it playing b-ball and I sweat like Shaq)

For reference, I was terrified to sweat with pure Milk of Magnesia on my face because the sweat would cause even more noticable streaking.

I am totally tired of having to deal with oily skin.

I used to be able to go an hour or so before my skin would start to shine, but now it seems like in 10 minutes or so and I'm oily.

In a product I would be looking for something that would 100% remove and prevent shine for the whole day, around 8 hours give or take. I would want to be able to wear it under makeup and not have to worry about it dissolving with sweat or while swimming. I think your list of characteristics are great.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Just an update for those interested!

Through much expirimentation I -have- managed to create something very close to my original vision!

This cream has the following properties:

• It's a spreadable, workable consistency.

• It does instantly mattify the skin!

• Stays matte and looks great for hours.

• Estimated SPF 15-30 (needs to be tested)

• Confirmed sweat, heat, and water resistant. (swim resist not yet tested)

• Minimizes the look of pores and refines the skin's appearance.

• Its virtually undetectable in both indoor and direct sunlight, making it guy-safe.

For those of you still confused as to what this actually does, before and after pictures will be posted as soon as I get a workable camera! The difference is incredible!

triton, I just wanted to voice my support for this little endeavor of yours - I'd be happy to serve as a sample guinea pig, if you're looking for any!

if sebum could fuel combustion engines, my nose would make me wealthier than the saudis...

Just an update for those interested!

Through much expirimentation I -have- managed to create something very close to my original vision!

This cream has the following properties:

• It's a spreadable, workable consistency.

• It does instantly mattify the skin!

• Stays matte and looks great for hours.

• Estimated SPF 15-30 (needs to be tested)

• Confirmed sweat, heat, and water resistant. (swim resist not yet tested)

• Minimizes the look of pores and refines the skin's appearance.

• Its virtually undetectable in both indoor and direct sunlight, making it guy-safe.

For those of you still confused as to what this actually does, before and after pictures will be posted as soon as I get a workable camera! The difference is incredible!

I am also in this quest but have no idea where to start!

How are you making this cream so far?

Alright good! I have a bit of interest. First off, I have been testing the mixture for a couple of weeks now. It's not perfect, but it's a great start and infinitely more useful than -any- other matte product I have ever tried.

The formula I'm using for the concoction I possess is fairly convoluted, requires a bit of cooking, (yes that's right) and uses some ingrediants that may or may not be hard to obtain.

Until I can create sufficent quantities of this mixture with resonable consistency no samples will be handed out. =P I barely have enough to cover my daily activities. And I use it everyday!

Also before I give out instructions on how to make it, or samples, I want to do a bit more research and talk to a chemist friend to ensure what I am creating is not going to be potentially dangerous. (even though all the ingrediants have been approved for skin use)

Even moreso I would still like to get pictures up on here, but I have to wait until I get that camera.

Edited by tritonxiv