Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nova527

accutane and tylenol pm

hi currently im on accutane. Its my first month and im on 40mg per day. I have trouble sleeping at night and i really need my 8 hours since my job requires a lot of physical work. I take tylenol pm but i heard thats it not good to take while your on accutane. Is that true? And if so what should i take instead?

You should ask your doctor or pharmacist to be sure, but here is just my opinion (take it as just a lay person's opinion). The potential danger of the Tylenol would be because it CAN be hard on the liver in high doses or if your liver is already taxed. If what you're looking for is just something to help you sleep, the "PM" part of the Tylenol PM is diphenhydramine which is better known as Benadryl. Go pick up some generic Benadryl pills and use them instead. That is usually what's in OTC sleeping pills too.

I wouldn't take Tylenol PM every night. But occasionally you will be fine. I had bad cold 2 weeks ago and pharmacist said it was okay to take cold medicines with Accutane.

I was just wondering since i dont want to damage my liver. I guess taking them every night is out of the question. Is there anything else anyone can recommend as a sleep aid while on accutane.

I was just wondering since i dont want to damage my liver. I guess taking them every night is out of the question. Is there anything else anyone can recommend as a sleep aid while on accutane.

Melatonin and Valerian are popular natural sleeping aids amongst body builders.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/slp.htm

Both of those are good choices I think. I use something else called MyoCalm PM. It's a combination of calcium and magnesium as well as a natural sleep aid. I checked with a pharmacist, and she didn't think it would pose a problem to take nightly. If you're absolutely afraid to take anything with a sleep aid. Calcium and magnesium are the best things to help you fall asleep especially in combination because they help each other absorb into your system. Magnesium is considered a muslce relaxant.

Here is a link to MyoCalm PM:http://www.bbpharmacy.com/myocalmpm60.html