Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AdamDolce10

Going to restaurants?

Hey,

About once a month and a half we go out to an Asian restaurant like Chinese,Indian,Thai and Japanese.I get the basic idea of what's healthy and what not to order but I was wondering could any of shed any light on the healthiest choices I should order??

Heres what I know anyway,

Indian:

ORDER

Chicken tikka

Chicken shashlik

Chicken tandoori

Steamed basmati rice

Steamed mixed veg

Chinese:

ORDER

Steamed brown rice

Moo Goo Gai Pan

Chicken chop suey

Mixed vegetables

Japanese:

ORDER

Steamed brown rice

Sashimi

Wasabi

Steamed chicken with brocolli in ponzu

Can anyboby help me and tell me if I can order healthier and what to avoid??

That's actually what I'm worried about and it's mainly in Chinese

because in Japanese and Indian I can order steamed or grilled food with no sauces

but could you give me a couple of sauces that would be the safest to order in Chinese?

Sorry. I don't know the names of many chinese sauces and dishes. I've only had Chinese at a buffet for the past several years and I just pick things that don't look like they are in a thick, sticky cause.

I can say you want to avoid sweet and sour.

Avoid the sauces altogether. Ask for it on the side.

And order dishes with the least amount of prep, or that sound the healthiest, like steamed, stir fried (ask for as little oil as possible, which they might not even use), braised, roasted etc.

Ask the waiter or cashier if a certain dish contains coated or deep fried ingredients, and if so, avoid that too. Also avoid fried noodles or fried rice

One of my friends said to ask them to cook the food like they cook it for themselves (Only chinese restaraunts - you could try it at another, but he never went to Japanese or otherwise. And I only get sushi ^_^). They apparently put all the extra crap in it for the "AMERICANS", but they make in a much more healthy fashion originally. So, it wouldn't hurt to ask how do they eat it themselves and say you want it like that.

In the case of Chinese food (and probably Indian as well) it might not be that helpful to give you a list of sauces/dishes to eat, as the ingredients tend to vary by restaurant. I'm sure some add more sugar and oil than others.

If you have a PF Changs (its a sit down chain Chinese restaurant) in your area, you might want to give them a try. They have a lot of nutritional options for people on special diets. They'll make your dish gluten free, vegetable oil free, and they serve brown rice.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)

I found this local Indian on the web that serves healthy options on the menu with no sauces,grilled items and the use of spices that have great health benefits like ginger,turmeric,coriander and garam masala.

When I'm in Chinese I order the steamed sea bass with black bean sauce on the side and rarely use it, I get that with stir-fried mixed broccoli and steamed rice. The only problem is the appetizers they're all deep fried so I order the soup instead.