Notifications
Clear all

Doctors And Others Admitting The Diet And Acne Connection

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/04/2009 10:34 am

Dr. Leslie Bauman, author of bestseller The Skin Type Solution, professor and Director of Dermatology at the U of Miami and textbook author, believer in prescription drugs and commercial topicals in other words totally mainstream conventional doctor, recommends a low GL, anti-oxident rich diet for acne. In the book and in her website and blogs. In this dumbed down, not very detailed blog post, she also admits to dairy containing the same hormones (IGF-1) that cause acne.

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/skintype/1...xXnBqdTeKbd1IZ4

She made another blog post on how sugar/high GL, inflammatory diet ages your skin and causes wrinkles.

MemberMember
(@john1234)

Posted : 07/04/2009 10:55 am

I strongly believe that the acne-diet connection exists. My certainty has wavered over the years but has never dipped to zero. In the end I realized that the diets which effectively clear acne are not always healthy; and vice versa, that healthy diets do not necessarily clear acne. For example, this nice doctor suggests acne sufferers to ingest fish oil, green tea, whole grains, and nuts. These foods cause me and many people on this board to break out instantly. But most experts with a few exceptions consider them healthful foods. Yes, they may make me healthy, and I have seen the studies that document their health benefits. But they won't clear my acne. In fact, what clears my acne most effectively is a low fat diet without stimulants. No dairy. No nuts. No fish. No PUFA or MUFA. No caffeine--in other words, the jeff novick/mcdougall/pritkins diet. The current nutritional wisdom tells me that these low fat diets are outdated and not as healthful as touted in the earlier years.

So this is the issue. Should I use acne as a signal from my body and embrace a low fat diet, knowing very well that it is not healthy? Or should I eat a diet that experts believe is more healthy, one with a moderate dose of fats, and accept that acne is in my genes and not a sign of poor health?

Unable to resolve this issue in my mind, I went on accutane again. And my skin is clear.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/05/2009 10:10 am

QUOTE (john1234 @ Jul 4 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I realized that the diets which effectively clear acne are not always healthy; and vice versa, that healthy diets do not necessarily clear acne. For example, this nice doctor suggests acne sufferers to ingest fish oil, green tea, whole grains, and nuts. These foods cause me and many people on this board to break out instantly. But most experts with a few exceptions consider them healthful foods.

If they cause you to break out instantly, then you most likely have a food intolerance to them, especially the fish, grains and nuts. These make the list of the top 8 culprits in food allergies.

It's never healthy to consume foods you have an intolerance for. You do have to consider your own individuality. Also, some intolerances can be improved.

MemberMember
(@john1234)

Posted : 07/05/2009 10:37 am

I react very poorly to oils, especially potentially rancid oils. Fresh sashimi never causes me to break out; I relish in its taste and the way it makes me feel: positive, upbeat, and light! But olive oil, fish oil capsules, walnuts, cod liver oil--wow, my skin becomes oily within minutes. Initially, my skin feels soft, and I sense improvement. But the oily skin eventually causes cysts and noninflamed acne. The acne cycle ensues. Coffee, Chocolate, and Green tea also cause my sebaceous glands to go on overdrive. One can imagine the awkwardness during family meals, when everyone is slurping down cups of tea, and I sit quietly.

These intolerances happen in spite of not over eating. I used to overeat to an extent, but I haven't for almost 2 years, now. I can't stand a low fat diet, asit does not only make social eating impossible. It makes me feel like a monk. Never satiated, always hungry.

It's interesting that many nutritional experts still insist that oils--even olive oil--is not a health food. I suggest you read articles by Jeff Novick, though he may appear to have a vegan agenda that arises. But his writings make me think twice about using oils in salads. Perhaps oil is not necessary. Perhaps the Mediterranean Diet is healthy in spite of the oil, not because of the oil.

Nevertheless, I still drizzle the olive oil. Perhaps this is is my indirect way of saying that my body is wrong. But alas, oil tastes so good!

I realized that the diets which effectively clear acne are not always healthy; and vice versa, that healthy diets do not necessarily clear acne. For example, this nice doctor suggests acne sufferers to ingest fish oil, green tea, whole grains, and nuts. These foods cause me and many people on this board to break out instantly. But most experts with a few exceptions consider them healthful foods.

If they cause you to break out instantly, then you most likely have a ffood intolerance to them, especially the fish, grains and nuts. It's never healthy to consume foods you have an intolerance for. You do have to consider your own individuality. There's also a matter of amounts and what else you eat. Did you have excessive amounts of these?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/05/2009 11:26 am

Ok, why don't you go discuss this with autonomous1 on this interesting and related thread.

The purpose of this thread is to gather lists of mainstream doctors recognizing the diet and acne connection.

Although I want to add that rancid oils aren't healthy for anyone. There have also been threads in the past on fats contributing to acne with valid theories, links to research and clinical studies, but I couldn't find them so I could add them to my lists. It's so hard to find old threads via the search function. That's why I started making my lists.

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 07/05/2009 4:39 pm

Great thread idea!! :)

Dermatologists, Dr William Danby and Dr. Valori Treloar are mentioned in the articles below, which advocate no dairy and a low-glycemic diet. One article states, "Treloar and Danby say they can count on both hands the number of US dermatologists and researchers who lend their voices and efforts to helping prove a food-acne connection." That statement alone shows that the diet-acne connection isn't being taken seriously. Until that changes, when it comes to diet, people are better off listening to the experiences of other acne sufferers and their conclusions... or to the few derms that believe in the diet-acne connection!

A Clear Connection?Most dermatologists tell their patients diet plays no role in acne. New research suggests that's wrong.

How a pint of milk a day can give you acne

Now.... if only the derms would investigate the role of cruciferous veggies and their powerful ability to help clear skin!! Dr. Joel Fuhrman is one doctor who admits to cruciferous vegetables being crucial in the recovery of his patients with acne. Below is an article with an example.

Acne: Diet a Major Determining Factor...

nbug liked
MemberMember
(@rakbs)

Posted : 07/05/2009 8:40 pm

I guess you could count Dr. Mercola. He's about as mainstream as doctors get.

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 07/05/2009 9:33 pm

I guess you could count Dr. Mercola. He's about as mainstream as doctors get.

Good one. Is there a link you can give for his acne protocol?

Not all of his information is based on credible, peer-reviewed studies, but I still think much of his information is on the right track, though I disagree with many of his views on diet. For any on the fence about Mercola, these articles by Dr. Fuhrman, who only uses peer-reviewed studies, might help: http://www.google.com/search?q=mercola%2C+...;rlz=1I7GGLL_en

MemberMember
(@razorguy)

Posted : 07/05/2009 11:54 pm

I think it differs in everyone. Kind of like how benzoyl peroxide works for some people and salicylic works for others. I personally have tried changing my diet many times for extended periods of time only to see no results in my acne. Others swear by it and see great results. Who knows...

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/06/2009 10:35 am

Who knows...

We know. And so do numerous researchers and doctors. Whether or not you've managed to figure out what all you need to do.

------------------------------------

Jillian Michaels, trainer from that stupid show The Biggest Loser, has a book out about diet and exercise to straighten out hormones, metabolism, etc. Names acne, pms, fatigue, etc as symptoms.

Here: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30072993/ </a> Not a bad article/excerpt from her book

And a video of her Today show appearance. http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/30087875#30087875

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/06/2009 10:48 am

There's also Perricone. He has a book on acne. But in addition to perfectly good nutritional advice regarding food, he has other claims used to sell his supplements and topicals that are supported only by his own research so is regarded as a bit of a quack by a lot of mainstream.

MemberMember
(@cleric-x7)

Posted : 07/06/2009 11:43 am

Consider purchasing Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, OR, just research as many 'free' articles you can from Westonaprice.org. The information there is extremely helpful, and while not tailored specifically for the acne-prone individual, will no doubt help those with acne.

I ascribe to the diet-acne connection, but more specifically the topic of 'digestion'.

Quick story... my family had a Korean student live with us for a few years (home stay). She never had acne in her life until she started drinking milk (almost all Asians are lactose intolerant). Indigestion->acne... or milk hormones->acne? Maybe a case can be made for both.

Either way, a traditional diet would do well to resolve a lot of these problems and his been working great for me so far.

-Cleric

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 07/08/2009 12:51 am

Consider purchasing Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, OR, just research as many 'free' articles you can from Westonaprice.org. The information there is extremely helpful, and while not tailored specifically for the acne-prone individual, will no doubt help those with acne.

There's definitely some good information to be found there, such as eating real, whole foods, but much of it is also dangerous advice and based on pseudo-science. The following article offers an opposing view to the Sally Fallon and Weston A. Price opinions: Weston A. Price Foundation, Stupid Traditions You can find more more free articles, based on credible, peer-reviewed scientific studies, at www.diseaseproof.com.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/08/2009 1:15 pm

There's definitely some good information to be found there, such as eating real, whole foods, but much of it is also dangerous advice and based on pseudo-science.

Second that.

MemberMember
(@pink_melodies)

Posted : 07/08/2009 3:34 pm

I love the fact that the doctors are FINALLY admitting this fact, but it still seems like they are in it for something... Why did it take this long? If they figured out Accutane, they could've figured this out. We all did, and most of us have no doctorate!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/24/2009 4:25 pm

I don't know why none of our Paleo fanatics have named Loren Cordain and his partners.

I kept getting a page not found error when trying to go to paleodiet.com, so here's a link to wikipedia.

And there are links to journal articles specifically on acne in the pinned Clinical studies thread.

From the http://www.dietaryacnecure.com website.

The Science Behind an Acne Diet that cures acne

For nearly 50 years scientists have understood the following four immediate causes of acne:

* The pores become blocked by skin cells that stick together.

* Glands in the skin produce excessive oil.

* Bacteria colonize and infect the oil filled, blocked pore.

* The oil filled, blocked pore and surrounding tissue become inflamed.

However, until now the reason behind these immediate causes of acne was not well understood. Most people grow up thinking that acne just happens, and that other than expensive and mostly ineffective treatments, nothing can be done to prevent it. But in fact, we now know that diet directly affects all four of the immediate causes of acne.

For instance, there is an enzyme called ZAG that normally dissolves the proteins holding together skin cells lining the pore, so that they can flake away and not block the pore. But there is exciting new evidence showing that components of certain foods enter the bloodstream and inhibit ZAG, thus causing the skin cells lining the pore to stick together and thereby block the pore.

In The Dietary Cure for Acne, Dr. Cordain explains the causes of acne, and its connection to diet. Youll learn how pore blockage also results from excess blood concentrations of a hormone called IGF-1, and insufficiencies of another hormone called IGFBP-3, and how the food you eat influences both of these hormones. Youll learn how excess oil production is caused by certain foods, and youll learn how the inflammation of acne can be rapidly calmed by eating the right anti-acne diet. And much more.

MemberMember
(@rakbs)

Posted : 07/25/2009 8:41 am

There's definitely some good information to be found there, such as eating real, whole foods, but much of it is also dangerous advice and based on pseudo-science. The following article offers an opposing view to the Sally Fallon and Weston A. Price opinions: Weston A. Price Foundation, Stupid Traditions You can find more more free articles, based on credible, peer-reviewed scientific studies, at www.diseaseproof.com.

I read the diseaseproof article and, in short, it is a gross misrepresentation of what the Weston A. Price foundation promotes on its website.

In fact, the article didn't make a single good point that I could identify. On the topic of saturated fat, they said to the effect that "Dr. Fuhrman doesn't advocate high SFA intake, therefore, the Weston A. Price foundation must be wrong." Then, they discuss the results of a study that Fuhrman and T. Colin Campell teamed up for, and conveniently ignored the results of all contradictory studies. A good scientist would prefer to try to disprove his own theories before discrediting others'.

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 07/25/2009 2:07 pm

rakbs,

Thanks for your input. I should have mentioned that that article is quite short and is meant to be used more as a link to the other, more in depth articles (I think) that this article gives links to. I haven't read them recently, but I think there are more details, studies, etc. listed in those. Dr. Fuhrman only comes to conclusions based upon the thousands of credible, peer-reviewed studies in science. He's also the first to admit to being wrong if research later shows otherwise. In fact, he's publicly stated that he knows he risks scaring people away, as he's not afraid to speak what he believes is the truth, based upon the research out there, even if he knows it's not what people are going to want to hear. His main objective is speaking the truth, and I truly believe he's a person of integrity and honesty. Whatever studies he chooses to use or ignore, I'm sure he has good reason. Also, I don't think he ever teamed up in researching with T. Colin Campbell? I think Dr. Fuhrman just respects his work in research? From what I read, Dr. Campell has conducted the most thorough studies ever done on the effects of animal products on the human body.

MemberMember
(@rakbs)

Posted : 07/26/2009 2:11 pm

rakbs,

Thanks for your input. I should have mentioned that that article is quite short and is meant to be used more as a link to the other, more in depth articles (I think) that this article gives links to. I haven't read them recently, but I think there are more details, studies, etc. listed in those.

I read a couple of the articles that your article linked to, and for the most part, my stance remains. In "Fanciful Folklore Is No Match For Modern Science", Fuhrman is again guilty of exaggeration and misinterpretation. The Weston A. Price foundation primarily advocates the usefulness of animal products in the diet; that does not mean, as Fuhrman implies, that they don't believe that fruit, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and legumes aren't healthy. Quite the contrary, actually.

The WAPF is not the gold standard of public health, but Fuhrman really misses the mark with them.

I'm sure he's a good person and everything, and the diet he advocates is perfectly healthy (though maybe not for everybody), but there is a lot of conflicting information out there that I've never seen him respond to or take into account when he writes. Mainstream food writers are oftentimes clever like that; by responding to certain counter-arguments, they maintain the illusion that they're good scientists, when in reality, their foundations are shaky. You see it with food writers from Fuhrman to Atkins.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/29/2009 12:46 pm

Dr Jeanette Graf. Don't know anything about her except she appeared on CBS national news and spent most of the time talking about mainstream OTC and prescription treatments so she's mainstream, not at all holistic. And big enough to do a spot on national news. At the end, she does mention diet and stress. Specifically saying they affect hormones and that there are studies showing dairy and sugars affect acne.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/30/2009 2:23 pm

Stretching the purpose of this thread here, but this is a survey of South Beach dieters, a mainstream diet, with 86% reporting improvement in their acne.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/589308

Which fits with all the Atkins dieters posting on healthboards.com that the diet cleared their skin 3-4 years ago during the last big Atkins fad. Which is what made me change my diet.

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 07/31/2009 2:03 am

I tell you guys one thing, if things go like they have for the past few years, someday young adults will be brainwashed into not seeing the diet link anymore, humans are unfortunately too irrational to grasp a lot of simple ideas.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/14/2009 9:13 pm

Also wish to point out all the researchers who've demonstrated the diet acne connection. But they've been doing that for decades. What we need now is more doctors telling patients.

Actually, I was just providing a link to this study to someone so as long I'm looking at it, I'll post the names:

Royal Melbourne Hospital Dermatology, Dr George Varigos, and Associate Professor Mann - conductors of probably our most well known studies demonstrating the connection between high Glycemic diets and acne.

And several years back, there were people here on this board conversing with them as they completed the study. They had such high hopes about getting the word out to everyone and making this common knowledge. It was in quite a few publications, but not enough.

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 08/14/2009 10:42 pm

Well, the doctors may not be getting the word out, but at least people like YOU are Alternativista! I know a LOT of people have stumbled upon and been helped by your posts. Thank goodness for the internet! :)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/18/2009 5:45 pm

Article about pistachios being beneficial for acne, with researchers using the impact of blood sugar on acne and hormones as a given.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/26101