Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hesitation

Am I screwed for good? I just remembered what I used to do when I was young. This might be it for me...

I'm 20 by now, I've had a healthy way of living for the last 7 years, but I've also had acne. Since I turned 20 it turned a bit bad and I started searching for answers. Then it hit me, after I read those liver and kidney detox topics.

I used to SNIFF GASOLINE when I was 13 or so. I used to drive a motorcycle, I would stop at some point, get high and continue driving until I crashed or stopped for another round. Sometimes I would take a can of gasoline and go somewhere in the woods or whatever, and sniff till I fell down unconsciously.

I read somewhere that doing that can mess up your kidneys and brain etc. So it makes sense. Can this be it? I guess there is no way to cleanse myself. Ever since I realized how stupid thing it was to do, I haven't ever drank alco, done drugs nor smoked, trying to remedy the sniffing. There is no way of describing how much I regret that stuff.

*****moderator edit*****

I'm 20 by now, I've had a healthy way of living for the last 7 years, but I've also had acne. Since I turned 20 it turned a bit bad and I started searching for answers. Then it hit me, after I read those liver and kidney detox topics.

I used to SNIFF GASOLINE when I was 13 or so. I read somewhere that doing that can mess up your kidneys and brain etc. So it makes sense. Can this be it? I guess there is no way to cleanse myself. Ever since I realized how stupid thing it was to do, I haven't ever drank alco, done drugs nor smoked, trying to remedy the sniffing.

You're still alive and as you're not yellow (jaundiced) or peeing technicolor urine, it's doubtful you have long-term effects.

The only way to know for sure is go to your doctor (or a doctor) and ask for a comprehensive metabolic panel, or other lab tests the doctor sees fit to order based on your description of your excesses of youth.

Your post has been edited; take a look at the pinned posts in the emotional and psychological effects of acne forum to discover why. Editing your post was the only way to keep this topic open for answers.

Like Wynne said, you're still alive! No need to be anxious and depressed about it.

You're young, so you need to have fun while it last.

This liver thing is driving me nuts.

1) Most of our livers are not that damaged (topic creator may be a rare exception)

2) We would see signs of liver damage

3) Most people who do damage their livers don't get acne

Don't be scared of every little thing that could harm your liver, if our bodies were to toxic we would know for sure, not just be guessing off acne. It plays a part, yes, but it is not the end all be all.

Actually, a lot of people have liver damage - at least in the UK. Lots of middle class people who only drink 'moderately' have signs of liver damage when tested, even if they have no other health symptoms. It's particularly a problem for women, as many people don't seem to know how big a unit of alcohol is, and having even just 1-2 a night can cause damage in some people.

On the plus side, the liver has remarkable capacity for regeneration. You can excise two thirds of it (or more) and the whole thing will grow back, healthy and new. So, if you haven't been abusing it since you were 13, you're probably fine.

As for the kidneys - not quite so elastic as the liver, but also not in the first line of attack (most things go through the lungs or liver first, and go through first pass metabolism there). Unless you have some obvious symptoms (frequent urination, cramps, foul breath, etc) your kidneys are probably okay too. You could always see a doctor to make sure.

1) Most of our livers are not that damaged (topic creator may be a rare exception)

Don't be scared of every little thing that could harm your liver, if our bodies were to toxic we would know for sure, not just be guessing off acne. It plays a part, yes, but it is not the end all be all.

1. However our bodies have the predisposition through an overactive sebaceous gland to use the toxin as a means to rid excess toxins.

2. Like you said, it isn't that bad. The symptoms can be as small as decreased energy, less energy than you would have. Anybody without a 100% perfect liver (which is nobody) has less energy.

3. Because they don't have overactive sebaceous glands.

Why do you think that accutane is so effective at clearing acne. It shuts down the sebaceous gland.

1. However our bodies have the predisposition through an overactive sebaceous gland to use the toxin as a means to rid excess toxins.

2. Like you said, it isn't that bad. The symptoms can be as small as decreased energy, less energy than you would have. Anybody without a 100% perfect liver (which is nobody) has less energy.

3. Because they don't have overactive sebaceous glands.

Why do you think that accutane is so effective at clearing acne. It shuts down the sebaceous gland.

Yea, Accutane has nothing to do with toxins. Obviously if you shrink the sebaceous glands you'll have less acne.

First off, congrats on being free of addictions! The fact that you were able to achieve that is a huge accomplishment, as many who have dabbled in drugs, etc. have a hard time every quiting. You've already come so far. Whether you've done damage or not, you only have two options.... let things get worse, or strive to make them better. You have to do the best with what you currently have and not worry about any damage that's already been done. Focus on what you can control - not on what you can't.

I would focus on eating a nutrient-rich diet to really give your body top nutrition. Vegetables, beans/legumes, nuts/seeds and fruit are all high-nutrient foods. Cruciferous foods, like kale, broccoli, collards, spinach, cauliflower, etc. are the most healing foods you can eat. I would focus on eating some of these every single day. You can steam veggies, blend them up into soups, eat them in green smoothies, etc... just find a way to eat them every day. Veggie juicing would also be a wonderful way to help your body to heal. The blog, www.diseaseproof.com will help with learning more about a nutrient-rich diet. You can count on the information there to be credible, and from peer-reviewed studies.

You're on the right track..... :)