Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dan The Man

Even though I'm clear now, I feel like I lost my personality.

Before I ever had acne, I was a very outgoing friendly person. When was 17, I started to get an oily face which turned into acne. It's been a miserable 2 years but I took Accutane and I'm all clear now. I'm not sure if it's depression or the accutane changed part of my personality but some days I feel so hopeless, and I see life in a dark way that I never saw it before. I'm not a funny person anymore, I'm rather quiet and often don't have anything to say. I don't know what's going on?

i know how you feel. acne, among other reasons caused me to lose my outgoing personality i had when i was younger. now, im not as outspoken, quite shy actually.....and i basically feel like even when im clear, im not good enough. im experiencing a slight breakout right now that has me hitting rock bottom-the best way i look at is so many people go through life so oblivous to the pain that something like acne can cause, youve actually been given the gift of having another point of view. you know what its like to be on either side, youll be less likely to make fun of someone else for acne or a similar problem because you know how it feels. you have been given the ability to think instead of just do and move on. its the better side and i wouldnt give that up-you have thought and empathy for others. it makes you the better person

I agree with suzylee. What she said was very good. Acne is pain. It's the depths. But experiencing extreme lows can make us appreciate the everyday things. It can help put things in perspective. I hate that word being thrown around but whatever, it is true at a certain level. When I didn't have much acne when I was younger 1 pimple could ruin my day. But it wasn't just pimples, it was ADVERSITY in general that I folded easily under. Acne taught (is teaching) me to pull myself up with my bootstraps. It's taught me independence and persistance, it's caused me to rexamine my relationships and ask why I do the things I do, instead of just blindly doing them (like suzylee said). It's taught me to look for a sense of character in my friends, and be genuine and compassionate in my interactions with others. Now it's like "bring it on world". There are a lot of really hard things to go through in life. But acne can threaten your sense of self, your autonomy, and your adaptibility to problems. At this point I don't really know if I'd want to go back to clear skin in a heartbeat. I think acne made me a more grateful person in general. But it also taught me to not underestimate how moody I can be so, meh. Fuck this. I want clear skin too. :liar:

Well anyway, I'd rather be around people that think before they say things, instead of just blurting out shit and clowning around. But that's just me. I'm sure you're fine whatever you do.

depression. it eats away @ur soul. i been there too (what u said is disturbingly familiar.. i guess depressed ppl's experiences aren't so original afterall) please get help, trust me, you will thank yourself later. all the best to you :)

For some reason I was the opposite.

Before my skin problems I was terribly shy

but during (currently) I am 1000 times more

outgoing. It has made me appreciate friends,

family and life a whole lot more.

I think when my acne goes away, I'm going to be more outgoing.

Do all things I am/was too shy to do with acne.

I'm sure getting rid of a shy way of life is easier than getting rid of the acne that caused it.

I believe in you O:

Happy 4th all,

I know you all are feeling a little down because of acne. It has ruining my personality as many of you listed. It's hard to not look into the mirror and not stare at your face. Its a bit depressing to say. Go out and enjoy your life or atleast the night. Other people have more serious problem to worry about other than acne.

-Ken

Your personality hasn't changed, I can guarantee that. However, you've probably lost a few high school friends in the past two years due to the social anxiety caused by your acne. Now that you're out of high school and about to embark on the journey of college, you feel somewhat lonely due to the transition. Old friends are being replaced with new ones, and familiar surroundings with strange ones. It's only a matter of time before you feel comfortable again.

Whatever happened during the last two years, just forget it. Start living your life as if you never had acne. Talk to people you don't know. Making fiends can be as easy as you want it to be.

Read the quote in my signature section...Its a simple quote but if you think about it it has a lot of meaning to it...

Edit: Actually I will post it for you in the post:

when you feel like giving up ;;

just remember why you held `'

on for so long in the first place

I dont know, anytime Im down this quote motivates me...

Are you sure it's only due to acne? People change very quickly during the time they finish up highschool and enter into post secondary. I wouldn't call it "maturity", since that's different for everyone. Maybe you should learn to appreciate your current personality, sometimes being quiet and focused isn't a bad thing.

Maybe you should see a professional, we all know Accutane has caused depression in people who have used this drug, if it is the drug that is causing you these dark feelings then you need to get help.

Hopefully it has nothing to do with the drug, but I think a professional or even a counselor at school can help you sort out your feelings, my son suffers from depression he doesnt have acne, so I know all about these dark feelings you are talking about and since you are clear now acne isnt really an issue anymore.

Acne isnt the cause of mental anguish, it just makes it worse. People who are depressed will blame their acne, but in fact they would have been depressed anyway.

Who have you spoken to about this problem, and could you be more specific in describing what you're feeling?

acne will do that to you.

maybe you could look at a picture or your acne or just remember back when it was terrible. then look in the mirror and see how you feel.