Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mattbyrd

Can't find explanation for vinegar method?

I've seen several people recommend the vinegar method for removing red marks, but I can't find anywhere that someone has explained. I'm sure it's been addressed somewhere, but despite my searches, I can't find it. Can someone provide a link to an explanation, or just explain it? Thanks!

The poster specifically said that he searched for an explanation and couldn't find one. I don't think the FAQ even addresses the "why it works", which is what he is asking.

I think (and it's just a guess) that the vinegar somehow works as an exfoliant and has antibacterial properties. Albeit a cheap and smelly one.

According to what i remember form my physiology classes, when you trigger an inflamatory response in a tissue (cause by a wound for example), vessels dilate to increase the blood flow and the injured cells release all sorts of chemokines so the tissue repair mecanisms and the immune system can access the site of the wound. This is what you see when your skin swells and gets red, all around the wound.

So i assume that vinegar penetrates into the skin and triggers an inflammation at hight doses, your normal skin just gets an increased blood flow, while your scars get repaired from the inside (tissue cells receive growth factor to undergo mitosis, plus lots of other stuff as well) if they re not too old and are still seen as injured tissue from your body.

I believe it also exfoliates as maya said, since you can burn yourslf with it, but to me the real mode of action is the activation of the repair system, not the removal of the superficial dead cells.

Anyway this is only speculation.

i think someone suggested once that moskito or bee bites, i dont remember which, could help a scar to heal, well to me here it s the same as vinegar, the toxins provoke an inflamation (much powerful though).

But still, it remains easier and less painful to localize the vinegar on the scar with a Qtip than trying to get a bee to bite you exactly where you want.

i was also interested in how it works so i did some research on google hehe...neways i also wanted to know-can u apply too much vinegar?

Vinegar has a tonic action that promotes blood circulation in the small capillaries that irrigate the skin. It is also antiseptic, preventing the proliferation of bacteria, viruses, or yeast that trigger infection. It can dissolve excessive fatty deposits at the surface of the skin and reduce scaly or peeling conditions. Lastly, vinegar regulates the pH of the skin. Vinegar is most effective when used with lavender, rosemary, rose, or elder flower. It is essential to use top-quality white wine or cider vinegar.

http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/self/267

:dance: