Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if you guys had any knowledge about rather or not Omega 9 hinders or helps acne.

I have purchased Nordic Natural's Cod Liver Oil and their Fish Oil and I noticed that they both come with Omega 9's.... The cod liver oil bottle contains nearly double the amount of omega 9's as the fish oil.

Should I be worried about the amount of Omega 9's in my Cod Liver Oil pills? They contain 120mg of Omega 9's per pill.

Should I find another brand that cuts out the Omega 9's like Carlson's? Are the Omega 9's naturally occurring and therefore Nordic Naturals sells them that way? Because I noticed that unlike Carlson's, Nordic Naturals gives a range for Vit A and D levels because they are naturally occurring so it may vary.

What should I do? Pick up carlsons instead?

Nordic is a very good brand, but I would not suggest Omega 9. You want Omega 3, w/o the 6 or 9 added. Omega 6 is readily available in most bad foods we eat, it's considered the bad Omega. There isn't a lot benefits known from taking Omega 9. I forgot why I threw my Cod Liver Oil away. I think I heard was not good for acne or it thinned out your blood. Either way bad.

I took Nordic Omega 3 with success, as in it didn't break me out. I could not say the same for the GNC or Calson's brand Fish oils. However Carlson did not cause cystic acne like GNC did. I would still take caution though. I've discontinued all fish oil for 3days now and my face stopped breaking out.

Again, any type of Omega will possibly break you out. It is really very personal. For some it helps, and in others it will increase oil production and will not be helpful w/ acne.

I would say, lay off the oils until you get clear, then try one and see how it affects you.

Good suggestion actually, its what I have been ignoring because its always hard to stop supplements, I get very attached. I'll stick with just zinc for now....and i'll see how it goes. My acne is breaking out pretty bad right now due to my teenage milk diet (lol)

While I am on it.

I noticed that the Carlson's Cod Liver Oil has a set value of Vitamin A and D.... how do they do that? Is it artificially added? How can they calibrate it perfectly to a certain UI...?

Cod Liver & Salmon have the highest amount of naturally occurring vit A & D. I really don't know how that can say the A & D is exactly a certain #, unless they augment the amount that naturally occurs within it.

I never thought about it before.

btw, are you really drinking a glass of milk daily? Young children need milk, not teens. I would lay off the milk too, to see if that changes anything.

A glass??? I've been drinking those gallon size containers of milk.... finishing them within 2 days myself... I have like 3 glasses of milk in the morning... and 3 as a late dinner... with cookies/cereal.

Somehow since i've started doing this... my skin/hair has changed. My hair is finally growing back and has stopped flaking. However my skin.... well its kinda weird. Its not longer oily in my forehead and other parts... but my chin now.... gets so dry that it itches and then starts to get oily............ so its like I activated different sebaceous glands... really weird.

(used to be a very very picky eater... yes im very informed about the dairy-acne connection, yes I am very aware of how nutrition affects acne... I've started this diet ever since I dropped to 125lbs because I was mentally limiting myself to foods. Within 3 days I am back up to 145lbs, I feel WAY stronger/better, my hair, which was my pride and joy, is finally growing back THICK and beautifully, butttttttttt my acne has taken a change and now represents a more hormonal kind because my jaw area has become much more prone. Going to keep trying this milk/carb(pasta,rice,etc) diet..... like I used to when I was younger and I want to see how far it will take me....... I take 22mg of Zinc daily, and am still unsure what to do about Fish Oil/Cod Liver Oil. Oh and I try to get lots of sun daily. )

While I am on it.

I noticed that the Carlson's Cod Liver Oil has a set value of Vitamin A and D.... how do they do that? Is it artificially added? How can they calibrate it perfectly to a certain UI...?

No vitamins are added to Carlson's cod liver oil. The vitamin content probably varies bottle to bottle but they've probably taken an average from several samples.

Understood. I went out and bought some Carlson's Cod Liver Oil. I found a small bottle with 100 of them for 8 dollars... (tax included) which I found a pretty good deal.... The dosage of Omega 3's, Vit A+D, are fairly low... I will start taking 1 with each meal. 3x a day. The dosage that 3 of these provides equals a regular fish oil/cod liver oil pill. I will update and see how this works out with daily 44mg of Zinc.

For those following my other thread:

Still drinking tons of Milk :P