Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
djclare

Caribbean sun lamp - My experience

Hello

I have been holding off writing this review for a couple of months, I didn't want to tempt fate!

I have had acne for 20 years, it was successfully controlled by the pill, but I came off that to try to get pregnant and was back to square one.

The doctor prescribed doxycycline, which got me most of the way there, but I suffered really bad side effects once (took it and didn't eat quickly enough - felt AWFUL!!) and despite his assurances I wasn't happy being on antibiotics long-term.

So I decided to try light therapy, which I've been interested in for years, but I was always worried about spending the money and not getting a result.

I was tossing up between Beautyskin and Caribbean Sun Lamp and in the end went for the latter for several reasons. It's cheaper, smaller, the bulbs are LED so don't need replacing (particularly of concern to be if traveling where I thought bulbs might 'go' because of vibrations etc.) and they offer your money back for up to 3 months (I think) albeit with a 10% restocking fee after 30 days....

I was really exciting waiting for it to arrive and MASSIVELY disappointed when it did. The photos on the site only show the light when it's on, in the flesh it looks like a circuitboard behind glass. I nearly sent it back straight away because I thought it looked so rubbish, but as there was a money back guarantee I thought I may as well try it for a bit...

First time using it was also an anti-climax, I didn't feel heat or tingling on my face and the light didn't buzz or do anything to make me think I was getting some fantastic high dose light therapy!

But... to cut a very long story short, 2 months later I have been totally off the doxy for a month (previous month on half or quarter doses) and apart from very occasional single spot I am clear!

Also, the occasional spots are totally different from ones I had before. They are white heads that appear quickly, I have a quick squeeze and then they vanish without trace almost as soon as they are squeezed. This is where the red healing light is I think so effective. I am now starting to wonder if I shouldn't use the red light on every form of injury or cut I have, it seems to heal it so fast.

So, there you go. I use it for 10 minutes every night for batches of 3 or 4 nights and then one day off.

Any questions please ask. I came on here looking for info before i bought it and I couldn't find anyone who had used the Caribbean sun lamp, so I had to go in blind, but hopefully my experience will help others.

Clare

Thanks for a great review. How long did it take until you started to see the results?

I just bought one a couple weeks ago and have begun using it, 15 or so minutes a day 5+ nights a week.

Backstory is I was using the acne.org regimen Benzoyl Peroxide for quite a while and while it kept my acne to a minimum, it also bleached my face to a much lighter color than my body. So, I stopped it completely, only using the acne.org cleanser for a week.

I had a nasty breakout after stopping the BP. Keep in mind, I had been on it for a couple years, and I figured I would break out if I stopped.

I've started a few other things recently including AHA, tea tree (again), witch hazel, and even trying hibiclens as a cleanser and neosporin as a spot treatment. I just needed to control the breakout after stopping BP.

I'll post here as I continue with the Sun Box RB and report and progress as well.

When using the Caribbean Sunbox are you able to lay down, or is it a device that you must sit in front of? Do you feel any heat or tingling sensation when using it?

It's portable, I use it in bed most often you just have to hold it in place.

A little bit of heat but not much else, no tingling really.

To answer the questions...

I was 80% of the way there with clearing my acne on Doxy, so my aim was to maintain that when I came off it and the rest followed over a period of I think, about 4 weeks.

I use no other medication or topical treatments at all now. I was buying some moisturiser in a store yesterday and had a bit of an exciting moment when I saw all the acne treatments and realised I don't need to buy any of it any more!

The box has a stand, but I rarely use it, because desks and tables are too low. It's easier to hold it. Most of the time I do that sitting and sometimes I do it lying down holding the unit over me... it's not heavy.

I bought this lamp. I've been doing 30 mins to both sides and the center of my face every day for two weeks. That's twice than the maximum recommended time. I broke out a few days ago terribly so I don't know what to think...

I bought this lamp. I've been doing 30 mins to both sides and the center of my face every day for two weeks. That's twice than the maximum recommended time. I broke out a few days ago terribly so I don't know what to think...

I'm totally clear and entering that dangerous teritory where its easy to stop because it's working (if that makse sense!) I moved house a couple of weeks ago and missed 3 or 4 sessions in the chaos and then had a couple of small (smaller than pre light box) spots... so it is obviously working for me, but perhaps not for everyone?

I'm totally clear and entering that dangerous teritory where its easy to stop because it's working (if that makse sense!) I moved house a couple of weeks ago and missed 3 or 4 sessions in the chaos and then had a couple of small (smaller than pre light box) spots... so it is obviously working for me, but perhaps not for everyone?

How far do you put it from your face? I usually put it about 4-5 inches from my face. Also, do you do sides separately or what? It's so tiny, it can never cover the whole face.