Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PhoenixBalm

PhoenixBalm's (NEARLY POST-)Accutane Diary

Hey, I'm Phoenixbalm and have had severe acne for 2 years now.

First off, I'd just like to say, thank you, to all of acne.org's

members, for just being here - you guys are just incredible,

couldn't have got myself to this stage without you all. You've

helped me through a lot, and my appreciation is unending.

OK so here goes, another generic accutane log likely to play

part in convincing other acne sufferers out there to go a

knockin' on their dermatologist's door and asking for the stuff.

I'm posting pictures of my condition 1 week before starting

(02-07-09) This is the day after I went to see the

dermatologist. I'm waiting for blood test results next

wednesday, where I'll get the prescription, so should be

started by the end of next week - obviously there won't be

much posting before then, but just thought I'd lay out the log in

advance. I'm going to update this log pretty much daily once I

begin, but do forgive me if I miss a day every now and then!

post-97632-1246576373_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1246576367_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1246576377_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1246576382_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1246576387_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1246576391_thumb.jpg

Do you ever get that feeling where all your friends and the people you know around you complain about their problems, and you say nothing about your acne to them, because it's humiliating and it drives you mad, because you would trade their life with yours any day? I get this every bloody day I live - I get it with my friends, my girlfriend, the idiots at my school - They are all so fucking fortunate. Sometimes I really would like to tell them to go fuck off, because I'd be interested to see what they'd say if they saw these pictures.

Now before I go saying I'm unfortunate and WOE IS ME! I'd just like to say, I am very, very thankful to whatever higher power (if there is one) gave me the life I've got. My situation is a lot better than 99% of the rest of the world, I am presuming.

I do, however, believe people with acne should bloody well have the right to feel shit, because let's be honest people, acne can ruin your life. For two years now I've had the quiet pattern of going to school, hating every moment of it, trying to hide my face and trying to sit comfortably, whilst my back puts my through hell, coming home, some nights just pretty much breaking down and going to bed generally bunged up. I've spent absolutely ages using every moment of spare time researching ways to treat it - accutane looking like the only answer.

Long story short - CAN'T FUCKING WAIT TO START!

Side effects may be bad, but boy, I am so ready to say goodbye to this depressing, restraining existence.

post-97632-1246576367_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1246576373_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1246576377_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1246576382_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1246576387_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1246576391_thumb.jpg

Edited by PhoenixBalm

Looks like I will be the first of many to wish you good luck. I ended up taking two courses of accutane and it did wonders for my skin.

I hope you erase acne's ass. Remember to stay out of the sun and not to use anything on your face but a gentle cleanser and whatever your derm suggests.

Oh! How could i forget: chapstick, chapstick, lotion......... chapstick!

Looks like I will be the first of many to wish you good luck. I ended up taking two courses of accutane and it did wonders for my skin.

I hope you erase acne's ass. Remember to stay out of the sun and not to use anything on your face but a gentle cleanser and whatever your derm suggests.

Oh! How could i forget: chapstick, chapstick, lotion......... chapstick!

Thanks a lot man :)

Tomorrow I might go out and buy some chapstick, and d'you I think I might even not use cleanser! For 3 months I've just relied on my shampoo's suds (non sodium laureth/lauryl sulfate based) and have used the thinnest layer of BP imaginable, and used Simple Oil-Free Moisturizer - not a single thing has shown up! I'm thinking I'll take out the BP once accutane begins, but use the moisturizer, because it's anti-bacterial and all that, and will just help regulate cleanliness around there you know. All the pictures show marks from last april - bad, bad month - reaction to exams/shampoo change (that DID have sodium... in) and trying witch hazel out - BIG MISTAKE!)

I love going out buying stuff for accutane, it's EXCITING! :D

Thanks again!

Remember when on Accutane you need to drink TONS of water.

If you do this you'll be fine, Accutane will do you good my friend,

I had pretty bad Bacne too, and It cleared It up nicely, It just left a little scaring, but that can be delt with.

Good luck.

Good luck man!

Looking forward to see the progress on your body acne since that is what I'm on Accutane for!

good luck man, i know its gonna work for you. accutane was a lifesaver for me and although some acne has come back about a year later it isn't even CLOSE to being as bad. i was/am lucky enough to never have acne on my back or chest, but a friend of mine did and accutane worked wonders for him too

Im Nick - Thanks, I'll remember that - I'm usually pretty undisciplined in drinking lots, so I'd best start now!

Thanks whitefox, pharcyde and loveacnesufferers and best of luck to you also with your treatment!!! Hopefully months from now we can all enjoy life more :)

All the best for your course of Accutane! My ex had very similar skin to yours, and Accutane did wonders for him. What dosage etc are you on?

All the best for your course of Accutane! My ex had very similar skin to yours, and Accutane did wonders for him. What dosage etc are you on?

I'm not started yet, waiting for my appointment with my dermatologist next wednesday when i get my blood test results and dosage given to me.

Out of interest, can anyone tell me if they got their prescription on the same day or did they have to wait stillll for that after the tests and everything?

thanks wide_eyed, and all the best for you too : )

Just dropping by to wish you all the best on your course, I just recently started mine.

I'd be checking how you doing along the way just keep us informed.

Peace.

Just dropping by to wish you all the best on your course, I just recently started mine.

I'd be checking how you doing along the way just keep us informed.

Peace.

Thanks a lot wiredshut, really, it's so nice to see so many people commenting, you're all awesome! I'll make sure to check up on all of you guys every week, willing you to be doing great : D

60 hours till I get my prescription....... : )

good luck with your treatment! I have similar acne as you do, on my face only though, I'm a week into my treatment and hoping for the best, and wish you the best as well!

good luck with your treatment! I have similar acne as you do, on my face only though, I'm a week into my treatment and hoping for the best, and wish you the best as well!

Thanks a lot : )

Day 2

Sorry everyone - I started yesterday but went for a sleepover with my friends to the beach so couldn't update with the news.

Saw my dermatologist yesterday.

In fact, it wasn't the one I got last week, it was a different one.

Got given 35mg per day.

Was a bit iffy as to this, seeing as I weigh 70kg, but my dad, who is a pharmacologist explained to me why it's absolutely fine, seeing as I have hardly and body fat (accutane is lipid soluble) and my cholesterol level is tiny (3.4).

Oh I also got given 500mg of erythromycin a day, to prevent inflammation, apparently - we'll see how that works out. She said it's mainly to prevent serious uproars if I get an IB on my back which would lead to serious discomfort.

So I took the pills.

Felt really tired about and hour after taking them, but it was nice kind of tired :P

Haven't got dry anything yet, awaiting that, with petroleum jelly at the ready : )

Got some pictures: man, I hate looking at these things, but I feel compelled to. They make me feel like shit.

Although it doesn't look like it, I have NO ACTIVE SPOTS on my head, EVERYTHING there, literally EVERYTHING is marks.

Can anyone illuminate me as to anything I can do to accelerate their fading time?

Help would be really appreciated.

How funny, Ugly by the Smashing Pumpkins has just started playing on windows media player.. *sigh*

I hope everyone else on accutane is doing great! I await 6 months time...

That's about it for now, I'll post up all the time, with whatever's on my mind, just to annoy you, sorry, but I tend to voice my opinion too much : (

Here we go..:

post-97632-1247169678_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1247169692_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1247169700_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1247169708_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1247169717_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1247169723_thumb.jpg

Oh, and without meaning to sound rude, I just want to answer some of the general comments I've had before this log, when people see my back:

1) Yes, it does hurt.

2) No, I don't use ordinary body wash on it.

3) Yes, my mum had acne like this.

Until later everyone, thank you, and good luck

post-97632-1247169678_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1247169692_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1247169700_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1247169708_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1247169717_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1247169723_thumb.jpg

Day 5

.So just thought I'd update you all!

I'm feeling good about my face, I haven't any pictures at the moment, but basically, I've rediscovered ACV as a red mark fader, and it's doing a remarkable job, particularly on my forehead : )

Getting back to the important stuff, I'm starting to see Accutane have an effect.

My skin isn't exactly the Sahara Desert yet, but it's certainly drier than when I started.

Also, my skin is starting to peel across my face, with a warm, burning sensation (trust me, it's kind of nice, in a wierd way... lol)

Not a single new spot to report on my head! Millions new on my back and chest, it's so busy I don't bother checking lol, so who knows whether I experience the IB or not! : P

Side Effects as of 12 July 2009

Burning skin (kind of nice : P)

Drowsiness, for the first few days, not really today.

My left side ribs hurt a bit, but I doubt that's anything to do with the accutane : )

Haven't got dry lips!........yet : P

I've been moisturising with Simple's Oil-Free Perfume-Free moisturizer - It is bloody fantastic - I've actually been using it for a good few months and not a single spot has come!

A lot of you might think that my advice might be ridiculous, considering the skin I have, from the pictures, but trust me, they are all red marks from a long time ago, when I was a bit of a fool...

Anyway, that's all for now!

Hahah i loved your dry lips comment.

Its coming, dont you worry :)

Hope it works out, im on my 2nd course and almost a month in. It seems to be working already!

Keep your head up bro. It will be gone before you know it!

Sorry, im in Florence, Italy at the moment everyone, so cant update with pictures or anything, at an internet cafe - must be quick.

So Ive got dry lips REB :P

And dry nostrils, for that matter

And itchy AS HELL skin, but the marks are fading really fast

Florence is amazing, btw :P

OK, must go, bye! and sorry!

dude! Florence? sweet!

Welcome to the itching stage, I'm still in it and it is hella not so nice.

Keep updating.

Peace.

Day 12

Hey guys, I'm just outside of Venice at the moment, in a campsite and I've got a few minutes of wi-fi, so I thought I'd post.

'Fraid I can't get any pictures to y'all at the moment, I might be able to later tonight, if I can get on the internet for long enough.

Anything new happened? Not too much, BUT:

The base of my spine is starting to hurt when i lay down or stand up, but it's nothing major.

My lips and chin feel like they are burning when i come out of the shower and my skin is so incredibly dry!

I know I said that my back chest and shoulders have so much acne that I don't bother counting, but lemme tell you, I've certainly had an IB in those regions lol. It's nasty - pics up later ; )

Anyway, Venice is beautiful, I might get you all some pictures of that, too : )

Hope everyone is fine,

Thanks

Day 14

How goes, people? I'm in Slovenia at the moment, in an apartment with FREE INTERNET! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!

The landlord is around about the size of the incredible hulk - he shook my hand and I was like 'Hi the- aaaaaaaoooooo!!!'

Slovenia is a beautiful place, really is - I've yet to take some pictures, but I will!!

Pictures of l'acne, Florence, Venice and Verona are attached : )

So far, I think Venice is my favourite - we've done things really cheaply; 1 euro 10 to get a bus into venice and then 2 euros for a ferry down the Grand Canal, it was good : ) and at night it becomes the most incredibly beautiful place (pictures!)

Anyway down to the business ;)

How're things going?

Well, things are going well:

Face:

Little spot in my nose, nothing at ALL serious, it's not increasing in size, it's not really doing anything.

No actual other spots on my face, other than the tiniest one at the top of my forehead - its feels amazing to be able to rub my skin in the shower, and not feel like the Alps!!! AAAAAAH : D

Body:

Naaat so good : P

I'm not really expecting anything miracle-esque yet mind, but I'll leave it to you to decide in the pictures, what's happened so far.

One thing to note - my skin is starting to peel on my body, around where cysts have been.

Side Effects:

My lips are now at the Everest summit of dryness - it is ridiculous lol.

I left my vaseline in the apartment when going out, accidentaly and after 2 hours i could feel the individual bits of my lips cracking open when i stretched my mouth open... grrrr

I'm moody, but that's probably because I've been hungry today ;)

Back still sore when lying down and sitting up.

I realised my eyes are wonky! My left one is slightly lower than my right lol. I look like a Picasso ; )

I’m currently enjoying a litre of this diluted blackcurrant stuff that tastes like heaven.. aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Will keep you all posted, bye for now : )

Face:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn83/Ph...0Diary/Face.jpg

Left:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn83/Ph...0Diary/Left.jpg

Right:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn83/Ph...Diary/Right.jpg

Neck:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn83/Ph...Diary/Right.jpg

Back:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn83/Ph...0Diary/Back.jpg

Chest:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn83/Ph...Diary/Chest.jpg

Florence:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn83/Ph...ry/Florence.jpg

Verona:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn83/Ph...iary/Verona.jpg

Venice:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn83/Ph...iary/Venice.jpg

A goofy idiot:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn83/Ph...0Diary/Goof.jpg

Day 17

Ok so this is completely off topic but you may find it interesting/useful to know.

So last night I was on my way back to Pisa, Italy with my Dad, my stepmum and my sister. Anyway it was 2:00 AM and we entered this tunnel, doing 60 mph and this guy hit us at about 100. We got shoved forwards and ended up doing 80-90 whilst dad was breaking to stop us hitting the side wall and flipping.

Dad managed to manoeuvre the car so that it didn't flip (thank god) and we ground to a halt. The thing is, I wasn't wearing a belt, so I was sitting on the bit in between the two sides of the back seats of the car. I thought I'd killed my dad, with the impact and felt like such a fucking idiot it's unreal. I'll never not wear a belt again, and I've gotta warn all those who don't tend to wear one either, they're bloody useful, and, had we flipped, i'd have been a goner because of that.

If you're thirsty for more soap opera, we climbed out of the car, screaming as such, and the guy who piled into us got out of his car, Italian speaking, so we couldn't understand him. We rang the police, and had to costantly redirect all the trucks and cars to the left hand lane, just so they didn't crash into the, now write-off car.

Police came, and they didn't speak english either, but we got there in the end, and got taken to a taxi outside of the tunnel, IN THE OTHER GUY'S CAR, which was surreal... He left and tried to shake our hands and I couldn't believe he had the nerve to - I suppose they'll be charging him with dangerous driving or something... pfffff

Anyway the main reason I'm saying this is to say

WEAR A SEATBELT.

And for the Alfa Romeo and Audi fans of you out there, you might want to look away now : P

post-97632-1248527664_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1248527635_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1248527614_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1248527614_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1248527635_thumb.jpg

post-97632-1248527664_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah, Italian drivers... They have a VERY bad reputation in Europe, now everybody knows why...

Glad you and you're family are doing fine!!