Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HDD208

Is Accutane good for very mild acne?

hello all

I have mild acne it's mostly on my jawline and I get random breakouts here and there but it leaves marks behind and it's red. The first derm I saw put me on finacea and tarazoc which worked for a while but then I was still breaking out. Then I went to see another one who gave me Retin A Micro, duac and Doxcycline which again helped for a while. But my insurance doesn't cover it and it's really expensive out of pocket so then I kinda stopped using it because I ran out and couldn't afford hundreds of dollars a month for acne medications. so now my skin just exploded on me. As soon as breakouts go away new ones surface and my skin is never clear. However, it is not all over my face. Just mostly concentrated around my jawline area and some sporadic ones on the side of my other cheek. I hate the marks and scarring I am getting from all this it's really starting to bother me and I am so fed up. I tried all the OTC drugs, clearasil, clean and clear, etc and saw limited results with the topical creams as well. I don't know what to do anymore. Even though my acne is mild it really bothers me and I am getting so depressed. I don't even go anywhere and I use up all my free up to research acne solutions. I even tried making an oatmeal mask for myself last night that I saw on some website. I heard accutane can be really good and effective but it also has some harmful side effects that concerns me. Plus I don't know if it will be worth it since my acne is not very severe. However, I am sick of all these topical creams that give limited results and are so expensive as well. Lately it's been getting pretty bad too. Every morning I would wake up and notice at least 3 new breakouts and I feel like it's going to spread and take over my whole face if I don't do something now. However, I am not so sure if accutane is really my answer. I am concerned about the side effects (no one even knows what are the chances of even getting these side effects) and my acne is not really severe and most people who use it have severe acne. Plus my last regiment was working (retin A, duac and doxcycline) but I just couldn't afford it anymore. I duno...I feel so hopelessly lost. Does accutane sound like the viable solution here?

Around the jawline could be from shaving if you are a guy. Accutane is normally the last resort but if you really want it, go on a very mild dose. Maybe about 10mg per 2 days.

Your acne sounds like it's mild but persistant, which could be reason enough to get your doctor to put you on accutane. Maybe a lower dose for a longer amount of time would be better. I had moderate acne, no big cysts or anything, just lots and lots of whiteheads and the occasional monster zit and I asked for accutane because nothing else seemed to be helping.

Hey guys

Thanks for the responses. I actually went to see a derm yesterday and she suggested accutane once I told her all the other shit I have been on and how I am starting to feel about all this. However, I am still quite apprehensive. I woke up this morning and saw 4 new breakouts (whiteheads mostly)and it made me feel like crap and I am thinking I can't do this anymore...I can't spend the rest of my life like this. If accutane is the only "cure" then so be it..sigh I just hope I don't get those terrible or unbearable side effects. I am just really frustrated, scared and confused.

I feel the same exact way and this is why my derm and I decided to put me on a low dose accutane of 20mgs/day. My face was pretty good before maybe 4 or 5 pimples per month, most of them on my jawline and the eventual ones on my cheeks. However after I started the accutane treatment my acne has gotten way worse, i wake up with at least one new pimple everyday and when one heals, a new one is forming already.. I think this is just the IB but I'm sick of it.. I dont know if ths will stop anytime soon because my skin was way better before whenn I had "under control acne" and now that I'm on accutane it's gotten way worse and I wouldnt like you or anyone for that matter to go thru this.. I'm on my 28th day so hopefully by the end of my second month things will get clearer..

Keep us posted and let us know what dosage you will be in and whether or not it works for you. Good luck!

So my acne was pretty bad last year, went on a bunch of stuff and then minocycline which cleared it up 100% for a few months. However it started to come back, not as bad. Started off mild and then a bad breakout for one in awhile.

I am on accutane now. Personally, I am glad I am on it because i know what it can do. But if you havent tried other options first, I would go about those first.

Ex> Minocycline, Tetracycline, differin,retina, proactive, clindamycin phosphate... etc... You could also talk to your doctor about Bactrim (a lot of people are allergic to the sulfa in it, so it might not be right for you. I had tried that for two weeks before accutane till i started getting the rash because i found out i was allergic.

Bascially if its just very mild, try other options first, then if nothing else.. you could try the accutane route.

i wouldn't recommend accutane for mild acne (as some users probably know :P) but good luck with your treatment, i hope it's successful.

I was on the same boat as you HDD208. I have mild, but persistent acne, that nothing OTC or prescribed could resolve. Finally jumped onto Accutane wagon a month ago on a low dose course. I suggest you do the same.

I was on the same boat as you HDD208. I have mild, but persistent acne, that nothing OTC or prescribed could resolve. Finally jumped onto Accutane wagon a month ago on a low dose course. I suggest you do the same.

How did your face/body respond to the accutane treatment? What dossage are you on? I'm still breaking out and it's been almost one month of 20mgs/day. Hate it...

Yours is an interesting question that will get different answers from different people and even from different doctors. Some people are very much against accutane and will restrict it for only severe cystic and nodular acne...afterall the possible side effects are very serious. Others and many dermatologist will prescribe accutane for any type of persistant acne despite being on topical and oral treatments, especially if it is adult acne that you will not likely outgrow anytime soon. Accutane will defintely work on mild acne but you just need to be aware of the the possible risks versus benefits.

The following is from the American Academy of Dermatology guidelines for the treatment of Acne Vulgaris (it basically says what I just said):

"The approved indication for the use of oral

isotretinoin has remained severe nodular treatment-resistant

acne since the drug was introduced more

than 20 years ago. However, it is the opinion of the

expert work group that this drug is also indicated for

all cases of acne that are either treatment-resistant

or producing physical or psychological scarring."

Good Luck.

Hey guys

I'm 22, female, 120lbs and have just started Roaccutane 20mg per day for mild but persistant acne.

I am from the UK but have been in Australia the last 18months, I have ups and downs with my skin but it got to the point where it was really depressing me and I was waking up with new breakouts everyday, I was avoiding social situations and generally withdrawing from everything.

I am on the contraceptive pill Yasmin and have been for a few years and my skin never bothered me that much until a couple of years ago when I started getting sporadic breakouts, but then it cleared up completely in December 08 and was that way until Feb 09 when I developed a patch of dermatitis on my face, I went to the doctor about this and she prescribed me doxycycline to clear this up and also switched my pill (for some unknown reason) to Diane which I had been on in the past. Anyway around this time I broke out big time and my skin just would not clear, I moved house and went to see a new doctor who prescribed my erythromicin and changed me back on to Yasmin.

Anyway long story short, my skin was still bothering me so my doctor referred me to a dermatologist, by the time I got the appointment my skin had improved a lot but I went anyway and explained I was on Yasmin and had tried every topical treatment out there and also various antibiotics and she suggested Roaccutane as it is persistant and my mum had been on it in the past with excellent results.

She has prescribed me 20mg and after 2 months I have another appt and she may up the dosage.

I took my first pill last night but am now panicking as my skin is currently the best it has been since I was completely clear over christmas and I'm dreading getting a really bad breakout! But I know I am also going to suffer with acne on/off as I have the gene so hopefully this will solve the problem.

I was suprised how easy it was for me to get the appt with a derm and get prescribed this drug on my first visit in Australia, I feel it would have been a lot more difficult in the UK where I'm actually from!

Anyway I am waffling on now, was just wondering if the severity of your acne relates to the severity of your initial breakout, ie if you have mild acne will you breakout with severe acne?

Hope you're still awake after reading this!!!

Look forward to hearing any responses.

Thanks guys

Steph :)

How did your face/body respond to the accutane treatment? What dossage are you on? I'm still breaking out and it's been almost one month of 20mgs/day. Hate it...

First month was surprisingly great. My derm recorded 13 papule lesions on my cheeks on the first visit. On my second visit (one month in), I had 0. Yup, I was 100% clear on my cheeks. Just had a few small lesions on my forehead. Back also cleared up.

Mid-way through my 2nd month, I think I am having my "initial breakout." I have a couple lesions on my cheeks and jaw, but nothing horrible compared to before I started my treatment. Back is still clear.

I have been on 10mg/day since I started (I weigh 170 lbs).