Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
strato

Went to see a derm today and she said...

The derm I went to see told me that I have a thick skin and a mild acne, caused by excess oil that clogs the pores, which is caused by hormones.

When I told her about my diets (no dairy, gluten, low carbs whatever), she said it's ridiculous and that diet does not affect the oil production nor acne. She just insisted on prescribing me some shit that you apply on your skin that was supposed to take a layer off my skin or something I don't know..

I also had hormonal test done and I will get the results next week.

I tried to confront her when she said that diet and acne have no connection by telling her that there are hormones in dairy. Then she said that there are no hormones in dairy (they don't use hormones on cows where I'm from), and she basically owned me lol.

Also, I told her that I use a emu oil cleanser at night. She said that if you have a oily skin you shouldn't use anything with oils. Should I discontinue using it?

Any comments on that? She destroyed everything I had built up and just gave me some meds. I was going all natural and she is prescribing me some harsh chemicals.

I had to wait a month to get to see her. She is my first derm and it was my first appointment. And I was told she was a really good one.

She also laughed when I told I started taking B5 yesterday. She said there is NO WAY that can affect oil production. Instead she told me that the only vitamin that affects it is vitamin A, if you overdose it.

Also, since they don't give the cows hormones here, can I go back to dairy? I have been avoiding it for no reason!?

I had to wait a month to get to see her. She is my first derm and it was my first appointment. And I was told she was a really good one.

She also laughed when I told I started taking B5 yesterday. She said there is NO WAY that can affect oil production. Instead she told me that the only vitamin that affects it is vitamin A, if you overdose it.

Also, since they don't give the cows hormones here, can I go back to dairy? I have been avoiding it for no reason!?

If you have an intolerance to it, it can affect you.

What exactly did she prescribe? It sounds like a retinoid; those can work exceptionally well for many people, particularly those with 'thick' skin and excess oil that clogs pores.

An open mind works both ways; too bad she didn't listen more but it's GREAT she at least took the time to talk with you about your diet and possible supplementation. Don't overdose on Vitamin A.

I'm not sure what she prescribed, she has a horrible handwriting, I'll go ask someone in a drugstore.

She is just plain wrong about diet. You only have to read the success stories on this forum to know that there is a link between diet and acne. My job involves assessing clinical data, and things like this (ie anything related to diet) are very difficult to run as a controlled trial - especially given the fact that different people are affected by different triggers, the levels of non-compliance you are likely to get when a large portion of your study involves teen (sorry guys, but it's true) and the fact that many people just seem to grow out of acne anyway.

Diet made a huge difference for me - age 23, went from having cystic acne affecting pretty much every pore on my face to having essentially clear skin (except for the scars and residual red marks which took longer to heal) within two weeks of cutting out dairy, animal fats and other hydrogenated fats (eg margarine and fats found in many processed foods) out of my diet. Other people find that sugars and refined carbohydrates are a trigger, but you cannot deny the striking results many of us have had as a result of diet modification.

I agree that your derm has no idea what she is talking bout.

What I eat has a HUGE effect on my skin. If I stay away from gluten, grains, starches, sugar, and dairy, my skin stays clear. I can splurge once in a while but more than one or two days of poor diet will cause me to break out.

Also, the whole thing about oil being bad for your skin is a myth. My skin was way worse when I only used oil free products. If you keep stripping the oils from your skin, your skin will just freak out and overproduce more oil to compensate.

These days I wash my face with aspirin and I apply straight tea tree oil afterwords. Nothing else. It works great for me. I have also had success with jojoba oil and olive oil in the past.

If you have an intolerance to it, it can affect you.

What exactly did she prescribe? It sounds like a retinoid; those can work exceptionally well for many people, particularly those with 'thick' skin and excess oil that clogs pores.

An open mind works both ways; too bad she didn't listen more but it's GREAT she at least took the time to talk with you about your diet and possible supplementation. Don't overdose on Vitamin A.

I can tell this from personal experience. When I was a baby I used to be fed formula milk, which contains cows milk. I never really grew, I didn't eat and was covered head to toe with the most horrible eczema. Once I was fed hypoallergenic milk (looks like oil in a bottle) I was fine.

Just a quick question- do most of the responders have licensing with skin care...or is it just from experience and second-hand accounts?

OP, I can't answer your questions (since I'm not trained in skin care) but do you think it's safe for you to take advice from people online who may or may not (most likely the later case) have any formal education regarding skin problems? If I were you, I would switch derms since yours sound like a jerk anyways. But honestly, I'd rather take the advice of derms over random people any day.

No offense to those who gave responses, just my take on things.

Just a quick question- do most of the responders have licensing with skin care...or is it just from experience and second-hand accounts?

OP, I can't answer your questions (since I'm not trained in skin care) but do you think it's safe for you to take advice from people online who may or may not (most likely the later case) have any formal education regarding skin problems? If I were you, I would switch derms since yours sound like a jerk anyways. But honestly, I'd rather take the advice of derms over random people any day.

Most of the people who are "licensed" in skincare also advocate the use of products which contain carcinogenic and endocrine-disrupting chemicals (parabens, for example).

You would do well to take some of that skepticism and redirect it toward the corporations/pharmaceutical companies and mainstream medical professionals who are actually making money off of YOUR ongoing skin and health problems. Do some reasearch. You can start with a book called the Hundred Year Lie by Randall Fitzgerald. You might also want to check out the Cosmetic Safety Database to learn what's actually in the products you're applying to your skin on a daily basis: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php?nothanks=1

I think most of the people here are speaking from firsthand, personal experience. These are people (myself included) for whom conventional treatments have failed miserably -- people who have nothing to gain, but who are here to help and to be helped. Years of dermatologist visits only made my acne worse. I finally achieved clear skin through natural hormone rebalancing and dramatic dietary adjustments. Many people here have had similar experiences, and they have the photos to prove it.

One month wait for an appointment? That's crap, to be honest. I went the next day one I visited one. But yeah, get another derm.

I think your derm is right about not using the emu oil. The emu oil you are using is probably helpful because it is doing a sort of reverse psychology thing with your skin where there's too much oil already so your skin will stop producing it.. But it might stop working..

Diet and skin care are connected, but I think it's mostly for stress level.... You eat junk food you're obviously going to feel like shit and stress levels will increase while eating healthy will make you feel better and it will effect your skin.

Although depending on your blood type, you might need to stick to a certain diet, which is why some people are saying they're cutting certain foods from their diet....

There are many things that could contribute to acne, but I guess do some research about the products the derm has given you...

Insulin and hormones have a lot to do with it, and those levels are directly related to/regulated by what you eat.

all dermatologists are going to tell you the same thing. take what you can get from "Western Medicine", some of their prescriptions can be useful, but don't stop your own personal regimen.

I have accomplished (with the help of this forum) in 3 months, what no Dermatologist could do in 12-13 years. I've seen maybe 8-10 of them since I was 15, and now I'm 28.

Today my back is totally clear, no acne whatsoever, and I owe it all to the members at Acne.org.

tell your derm: "you are what you eat"

find another derm and visit a naturopath (since u seem interested in natural approaches)

good for you for getting your hormones tested though.

She sounds annoying... personally I like a mixed approach (if that's possible ha) Just do whatever you feel best with out of the medical and holistic approach and leave everything else. It's your body.

RN here.

some will be open and agree with you and some will be very rude and push prescriptions on it. i hope people know that they do the same with medication as in they're paid to push those brands.

if something works for you and someone else tries to debunk it, who cares. my doctors have said there aren't any huge tests done with that so they can't say diet works.

I find it quite hilarious that you people think you know more about this than derms. It's quite entertaining.

I find it quite hilarious that you people think you know more about this than derms. It's quite entertaining.

dermatologists go to medical school and have a great deal of knowledge about western medicine and the latest in medical treatments for acne.

so yeah, we don't know as much as they do.

but dermatology is a rather new field compared to other branches of medicine and health.

there is still alot that isn't understood or known. (why are kids bouncing to half a dozen different derms and still not seeing results?)

the facts are that dermatology is a science. and science is based on theories.

You may or may not have success with traditional western medicine.

You may or may not have success with other more natural, holistic approaches.

But most people on here care a great deal about their skin and go to great lengths to learn as much as they can about these things.

Therefore some do know more about their body and their acne than their dermatologist.

sometimes you are your own best doctor.

Guest missyjean130

first of all,I want to say that derms don't know everything. I've been to only a couple my whole life,but each had different perspectives on how to treat acne.

Diet can cause your acne to flare up in some people, and emu oil is good for some and not for others. I have extremely oily skin and when I use a pure oil,even emu or jojoba,my skin will break out. However my skin is okay using those ingredients in smaller doses contained within a moisturizer. Some people with oily skin and acne can tolerate pure oil on their faces though.

If I don't know more about how to treat my own skin than the many dermatologists I've seen over the years, why is it that nothing they prescribed for me ever worked, much of it made my skin substantially WORSE, and yet I've had tremendous success with hormone rebalancing and nutritional changes?

Additionally, my current doctor (not a derm, just my GP -- and a very progressive/integrative one, also one of the best thyroid/endocrine docs in the nation), has AGREED that I'm on track with everything I've done for my skin, and has stated point blank that the majority of doctors have a very poor understanding of how nutrition affects skin, mood, and overall health.

You can say all you want about how "hilarious" it is, but I'm sitting here typing this with clear skin because of the research I've done and the changes I've made.

If I had continued to take my dermatologist's advice, my face would still be a war zone. I guarantee that.

My advice to you is stop using the oils, and find a derm that understands diet and acne ARE related in MOST CASES. Best of luck to you

dermatologists go to medical school and have a great deal of knowledge about western medicine and the latest in medical treatments for acne.

so yeah, we don't know as much as they do.

but dermatology is a rather new field compared to other branches of medicine and health.

there is still alot that isn't understood or known. (why are kids bouncing to half a dozen different derms and still not seeing results?)

the facts are that dermatology is a science. and science is based on theories.

You may or may not have success with traditional western medicine.

You may or may not have success with other more natural, holistic approaches.

But most people on here care a great deal about their skin and go to great lengths to learn as much as they can about these things.

Therefore some do know more about their body and their acne than their dermatologist.

sometimes you are your own best doctor.

Yeah pal. Those theories are based on the incredible indepth knowledge of how the body works. They don't just wake up one night with a "brilliant" idea haha.

Good luck on the holistic path.