Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katka

Rosacea and Metronidazole

I was just prescribed Metronidazole cream for my acne rosacea. After paying money for the cream, I read the ingredients list and saw that it has benzyl alcohol in it.

Most every website offering info on Rosacea urges people to stay away from benzyl alcohol because it worsens your condition.

If this is true, and the consensus seems to say that it is, should I not use Metronidazole?

Yes and no.

Metronidazole is a topical for the treatment of rosacea. Of all of the prescription topicals for rosacea, Metronidazole is considered to be the gentlest. The gentlest version of Metronidazole would be found in an emollient base as opposed to a gel base.

Yes, benzyl alcohol can be an irritant. However, when you check a products ingredients you need to pay attention to the order of ingredients. Ingredients are listed in order from greatest quantity to smallest quantity. The benzyl alchohol is probably present in a small amount and is there as base or preservative.

So will it work for you? Will it irritate your skin?

The only way to truly know is to try using it. The problem with rosacea is that what works for one person - might not work for the next person. Many rosacean's end up having to perform a lot of trial and error with products. Unfortunately, you are right, the bases and preservatives can upset rosacea. But, considering it is the gentlest topical out there, I think you are safe to at least try it. If your skin shows signs of irritation around day 3 - you will know you cannot use it.