Notifications
Clear all

Really super nutrient dense recipes and ideas

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/30/2009 6:54 pm

For people who want to concentrate on the most nutrient dense and beneficial foods.

So mostly recipes high in the most nutrient dense plant foods or foods high in a nutrient known to be beneficial to acne, skin or just really good for health. Like omega 3s or zinc, as in a recipe for shellfish, the richest source. Or high in anti-inflammatory nutrients like your dark greens, tumeric (curry), onions, garlic, etc.

(Be sure to check out the Food and Recipe index of threads full of recipes and meal ideas:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Food-and-...ce-t205099.html )

I'll start with a Cilantro Pumpkin Seed Pesto sauce from whfoods.org.

They call it pesto, but it seems to be more like Chimichurri sauce from south America. Often eaten on steak.

Full of good anti-inflammatory herbs and spices. And pumpkin seeds are a quality protein high in zinc, magnesium. Onions and garlic are sources of sulfur compounds. Cilantro chelates metals like mercury. Pesto/chimichuri is good on fish, chicken, pasta, as a veggie dip, etc.

Hot peppers are usually not in pesto or chimichurri, but they are are sources of capsaicin which is good for digestion and another anti-inflammatory so if you like hot sauce, by all means include them.

Ingredients:

* 2 cups chopped fresh cilantro

* 1 cup chopped fresh parsley

* 3 scallion, chopped

* 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped

* 1 tsp ground cumin

* 2 or 3 canned jalapenos, depending on desired heat

* i cup coarsely chopped pumpkin seeds

* 2 TBS water

* 1 TBS fresh lemon juice

* 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil

* salt and white pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Chop garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to enhance their health-promoting properties while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

2. Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Add olive oil a little at a time at end. You want the pesto to be blended yet not smooth. It is best with a little texture. Serve at room temperature. Do not heat it.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/30/2009 7:38 pm

Another one from whfoods.org. You can subscribe and get things like these emailed to you daily.

I'm sure by now everyone should no the importance of dark greens. Nutrient dense and source of very beneficial to liver sulfur compounds which are also anti-inflammtory. Onions, garlic and tumeric are another source of sulfur. Sweet potatoes are great source of beta carotene and hyaluronic acid which is good for retaining moisture in the skin.

Note: All those spices are pretty much what's in curry powder, so you could just use that.

This recipe is also a very good source of B6, magnesium, calcium, etc. Nutritional profile

Spinach and Sweet Potato Healthy Saute

Prep and Cook Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:

1 medium onion, chopped

4 medium cloves garlic, minced

1 cup + 1 TBS chicken or vegetable broth

tsp turmeric

tsp coriander

tsp cumin

tsp cardamom

1 TBS fresh lemon juice

2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed

6 oz frozen spinach, thawed

2 TBS chopped fresh cilantro

salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

Chop onions and mince garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their health-promoting benefits.

Heat 1 TBS broth in a large stainless steel skillet. Healthy SautA onion in broth over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add garlic and continue to sautA for another minute.

Add seasonings and stir to mix thoroughly. Add broth and sweet potatoes. Simmer covered over low heat, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Uncover to allow sauce to thicken and cook another couple minutes. Add cilantro, salt & pepper to taste.

Press water out of spinach and add to sweet potatoes. Cook uncovered to allow sauce to thicken and cook another couple minutes. Add cilantro, salt & pepper to taste.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/09/2009 6:52 pm

Grilled Rosemary-Salmon Spedini

2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1 pound center-cut salmon fillet, skinned (see Tip) and cut into 1-inch cubes

1 pint cherry tomatoes

Directions

1. Preheat grill to medium-high.

2. Combine rosemary, oil, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add salmon; toss to coat. Alternating the salmon and tomatoes, divide among eight 12-inch skewers.

3. Oil the grill rack. Grill the skewers, carefully turning once, until the salmon is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes total. Serve immediately.

I'd broil or use an indoor grill pan or George Foreman type grills so there's no issue with fish falling through the grill. And if the rosemary branches are big enough, use them for skewers.

Serve with sauteed spinach or steamed broccoli.

MemberMember
(@drizzler)

Posted : 07/11/2009 10:41 am

I love whfoods. Have you ever been to this site?

http://www.101cookbooks.com/

She has so many recipes for simple yet decadent meals that are extremely nutritious. The website is organized so well too. I can seriously spend hours browsing it, the pictures she takes are incredible!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/15/2009 12:48 pm

Sweet potato curry with spinach and chick peas

Recipe makes 6 servings

Calories 172

Sodium 422mg 17%

Potassium 800mg 22%

Total Carbohydrate 33.7g 11%

Dietary Fiber 7.6g 30%

Sugars 5.2g

Protein 6.7g 13%

Ingredients

* 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped or 2 scallions, thinly sliced

* 1-2 teaspoon coconut oil

* 2 tablespoons curry powder

* 1 tablespoon cumin

* 1 teaspoon cinnamon

* 10 ounces fresh spinach, washed, stemmed and coarsely chopped

* 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 2 lbs)

* 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained

* 1/2 cup water

* 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, can substitute fresh if available

* 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish

* basmati rice or brown rice, for serving

Directions

1. You may choose to cook the sweet potatoes however you prefer.

2. I like to peel, chop and steam mine in a veggie steamer for about 15 minutes.

3.Baking or boiling work well too.

4.While sweet potatoes cook, heat 1-2 tsp of canola or vegetable oil over medium heat.

5.Add onions and sautA 2-3 minutes, or until they begin to soften.

6.Next, add the curry powder, cumin, and cinnamon, and stir to coat the onions evenly with spices.

7.Add tomatoes with their juices, and the chickpeas, stir to combine.

8.Add A cup water and raise heat up to a strong simmer for about a minute or two.

9.Next, add the fresh spinach, a couple handfuls at a time, stirring to coat with cooking liquid.

10.When all the spinach is added to the pan, cover and simmer until just wilted, about 3 minutes.

11.Add the cooked sweet potatoes to the liquid, and stir to coat.

12.Simmer for another 3-5 minutes, or until flavors are well combined.

13.Transfer to serving dish, toss with fresh cilantro, and serve hot.

14.This dish is nice served over basmati or brown rice.

from

http://www.recipezaar.com/Sweet-Potato-Cur...Chickpeas-84474

-----------------------------------------------------

Or follow this simpler recipe posted by meat-pirate adding spinach when everything else is done. Oh, and use only sweet potatoes, of course. White potatoes add nothing to this dish. You can leave out the tomatoes too, if you like:

West Indian Potato Curry

courtesy of Foodland Ontario (foodland.gov.on.ca)

2 Tbsp vegetable oil - use coconut oil

2 onions, sliced

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tsp minced fresh ginger root

1 Tbsp curry powder (or to taste)

2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed

4 canned tomatoes, coarsely chopped

1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock or water

1/2 tsp salt

In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onions, garlic and ginger until softened. 2 to 3 minutes. Add curry powder; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add regular and sweet potatoes, tomatoes, stock and salt, bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender.

-----------------------------------

Califlower and peas are also good veggies in a curry.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 10/05/2009 10:24 am

From whfoods.org newsletter

Poached Halibut with Fennel & Cauliflower

Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

* 1A lbs halibut cut into 8 pieces

* 1 TBS fresh lemon juice

* 1TBS + 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth

* 1 medium sized onion cut in half and sliced medium thick

* 1 large carrot, turned about 1A inch pieces

* 1A cups cauliflower florets cut into quarters

* 1 medium sized fennel bulb sliced medium thick

* 5 medium cloves garlic pressed

* salt and black pepper to taste

* chopped fennel green tops for garnish

Directions:

1. Slice onion and chop garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes to bring out their hidden health-promoting properties.

2. Rub halibut with lemon juice and season with a little salt and pepper. Set aside.

3. Heat 1 TBS broth in a 12 inch stainless steel skillet. Healthy SautA onion in broth over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently.

4. Add rest of broth and carrots. Simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes covered.

5. Add cauliflower, fennel, and garlic. Place halibut steaks on top and continue to cook covered for about 6 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper

6. Serve halibut with vegetables and broth. Sprinkle with chopped fennel greens. Serves 4

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/26/2010 11:08 am

Curried carrot soup from realage.com

Because of the sulfur, carotenes and phyto-nutrients in the onions, curry powder, carrots. Use a better oil. Drizzle servings with olive oil before eating to add healthy fat. A dollop of your live cultured organic yogurt if you can tolerate it, would be good. It always goes well with curried things. And get yourself a stick immersion blender to puree soups in the pot.

Ingredients

* 3 tablespoon(s) canola oil

* 2 teaspoon(s) curry powder

* 8 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced

* 4 medium stalks celery, thinly sliced

* 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped

* 5 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth

* 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice

* 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt

* Freshly ground pepper , to taste

Directions

1. Cook oil and curry powder in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in carrots, celery and onion; toss to coat in oil. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are very tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand 10 minutes. Lay a paper towel over the surface of the soup to blot away the oil that has risen to the top. Discard the paper towel.

2. Working in batches of no more than 2 cups at a time, transfer the soup to a blender and puree (use caution when pureeing hot liquids). Return the pureed soup to the pan, place over medium heat and heat through. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.

MemberMember
(@gmarias)

Posted : 03/28/2010 1:59 pm

I'm not sure if this really counts as nutrient dense, but it's pretty tasty, healthy and fast for those of us who are lazy or short on time:

Instant Almond Bread (gluten, dairy, soy, grain and sugar free)

2 eggs

3/4 cups of water

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp sea salt

about 2 cups of blanched almond flour

Just beat it all in a bowl until it forms a batter or extremely thick paste.

Pour it out into a rectangular microwave safe dish. Microwave it for 3.5-6 minutes depending on your microwave and batter consistency. (I nuked it for about 5 minutes)

It'll actually rise up and make a pretty thick, tasty "bread." The texture is soft though mildly grainy - not too far off from a hearty whole grain bread. It is a little more moist than traditional breads.

I made this and my dad even liked it - which says A LOT. There has never been a healthy food he has ever liked. You could also add other nutrient things to it, making it more nutrient dense and flavored, like garlic, herbs, fruit, or walnuts. I'm sure they'd make some pretty nifty muffins, too. I'm still trying to figure out how to make bread or muffins in the oven.

I ate a slice with mashed avocado smeared onto it.

*you may need more or less flour depending on the brand and your preferences. I used Bob's Red Mill - it's all the grocery stores around here carry. Keep it wrapped and refrigerated to keep it fresher longer.

MemberMember
(@tdot)

Posted : 03/29/2010 11:32 am

I'm not sure if this really counts as nutrient dense, but it's pretty tasty, healthy and fast for those of us who are lazy or short on time:

2 eggs

3/4 cups of water

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp sea salt

Pour it out into a rectangular microwave safe dish. Microwave it for 3.5-6 minutes depending on your microwave and batter consistency. (I nuked it for about 5 minutes)

It'll actually rise up and make a pretty thick, tasty "bread." The texture is soft though mildly grainy - not too far off from a hearty whole grain bread. It is a little more moist than traditional breads.

I made this and my dad even liked it - which says A LOT. There has never been a healthy food he has ever liked. You could also add other nutrient things to it, making it more nutrient dense and flavored, like garlic, herbs, fruit, or walnuts. I'm sure they'd make some pretty nifty muffins, too. I'm still trying to figure out how to make bread or muffins in the oven.

*you may need more or less flour depending on the brand and your preferences. I used Bob's Red Mill - it's all the grocery stores around here carry. Keep it wrapped and refrigerated to keep it fresher longer.

That looks so YUMMY! I'm going to try it! Can you use other flours to replace the almond or does it have to be almond?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/29/2010 1:20 pm

You should also add this to one of the Gluten free recipe threads.

I have a recipe for a cocoa cake made in a coffee mug in the microwave. Not sure if I posted it to a dessert thread yet or not. I'll check that and post it if not. I've been planning on experimenting with other flours and using a sugar substitute.

MemberMember
(@gmarias)

Posted : 03/30/2010 1:46 pm

2 eggs

3/4 cups of water

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp sea salt

That looks so YUMMY! I'm going to try it! Can you use other flours to replace the almond or does it have to be almond?

I'm not sure, but you could definitely experiment and see. I just made a chocolate cake using the same base ingredients

MemberMember
(@gmarias)

Posted : 03/30/2010 1:48 pm

You should also add this to one of the Gluten free recipe threads.

I have a recipe for a cocoa cake made in a coffee mug in the microwave. Not sure if I posted it to a dessert thread yet or not. I'll check that and post it if not. I've been planning on experimenting with other flours and using a sugar substitute.

Indeed. I just made a chocolate cake using basically the same base ingredients + almond milk, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and stevia.

I need to figure out how to make a decent healthy frosting.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/03/2010 10:29 am

Curried Salmon Salad

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/curried-salmon-salad/

Salmon, lettuce, avocado, slivered almonds and green onions mixed with the complexity and bold flavors of an array of ground spices a garam masala, turmeric, coriander, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne
MemberMember
(@adamdolce10)

Posted : 06/04/2010 2:37 am

The salmon one sounds amazing thanks for posting :)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/14/2010 4:54 pm

Cajun blackened chicken liver with lemon and garlic on a bed of greens. They recommend a salad of lettuce or spinach, but I think sauteed greens would also be nice. And I would try to get organic, free range chicken. Unfortunately, I just made my once every 3-4 week trip to Whole foods.

See link for instructions with photos:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cajun-black...mon-and-garlic/

* 1 pound chicken livers

* 1 tablespoon sweet paprika

* 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less, depending on how spicy you like it)

* 1 teaspoon garlic powder

* 1 teaspoon onion powder

* 3/4 teaspoon black pepper

* 3/4 teaspoon white pepper (optional)

* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil

* 6 cups spinach leaves, lettuce leaves

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/10/2010 5:47 pm

The Primal Fitness Cookbook is available for download, free for subscribers at Marksdailyapple.com. This is a source of many recipes already posted here and in other recipe threads.

Most recipes will qualify as really super nutrient dense. And then there's plenty that are made with substitutes for empty refined carbs like wheat or other foods that aren't particularly valuable. Like substituting riced cauliflower for the bed of rice you'd have with your curry or stir fry.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/04/2011 12:40 pm

Recipe: Turkey pozole soup with green chilies

Michael Lomonaco, executive chef at Porter House New York

Tons of great herbs, spices and veggies!!!

[Note: You can make it vegetarian by leaving out the turkey and using veggie broth. Also, be sure to get hominy that has been nixtamalized to free up bound nutrients and reduce anti-nutrients. Try the Hispanic section of your markets. See the ZAG enzyme thread for more info]

Ingredients

* 2 pounds turkey meat cut into 1 inch cubes

* 1/4 cup olive oil

* 2 large onions, peeled and chopped

* 2 red peppers, seeded and chopped

* 1 small jalapeAo pepper, seeded and chopped

* 2 tablespoons ground cumin

* 2 tablespoons Ancho chili powder

* 2 tablespoons peeled, chopped garlic

* 1 15 ounce can chopped green chilies

* 1 cup crushed tomatoes

* 2 quarts chicken broth

* 1 28 ounce can golden or white hominy (or get dried and cook it)

* 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves

* 1/2 cup chopped scallions

* Sour cream

* Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Serving

Pour the oil into a large, heavy-bottomed pot and heat over medium heat.

Season the turkey with salt and pepper. Add to the pot and sautA in until well-browned. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the turkey to a bowl and set aside.

Add the onions, red pepper and jalapeAo to the pot and brown until golden, which takes approximately seven minutes.

When the onion begins to caramelize, return the turkey to the pot, sprinkle with the cumin and Ancho chili powder, stir in the garlic, green chilies and tomatoes.

Add the chicken broth plus 2 cups of water, stir and bring it to a boil over high heat. Lower then heat and let the chili simmer, partially covered, for one hour.

Add the hominy. Continue to cook until the turkey is tender, which takes approximately 15 minutes.

Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve with cilantro, scallions and sour cream as a topping.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/27/2011 5:09 pm

So, this may not be nutrient dense, but if you make it with spaghetti squash and skip the cheese, there's no negatives in it. Provided you aren't intolerant to the few ingredients, of course.

Spaghetti With Fried Eggs

Yield 2 or 3 servings

Time 20 minutes

Mark Bittman

Summary

Adapted from Arthur Schwartz.

In this dish, sometimes known as \'\'poor man\'s spaghetti,\'\' you fry a couple of eggs in the olive oil after removing the garlic, which is not browned but \'\'blonded\'\' (\'\'imbiondito\'\'), cooked lightly in good olive oil and then removed from it. Tossed with the pasta, the eggs and oil create a creamy, delicious sauce.

Ingredients

* Salt

* 1/2 pound thin spaghetti

* 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or lard

* 2 large cloves garlic, lightly smashed and peeled

* 4 eggs

* Freshly ground black pepper

* Freshly grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese, optional

Method

* 1. Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Start the sauce in the next step, and start cooking the pasta when the water boils.

* 2. Combine garlic and 4 tablespoons of the oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the garlic, pressing it into the oil occasionally to release its flavor; it should barely color on both sides. Remove the garlic, and add the remaining oil.

* 3. Fry the eggs gently in the oil, until the whites are just about set and the yolks still quite runny. Drain the pasta, and toss with the eggs and oil, breaking up the whites as you do. (The eggs will finish cooking in the heat of the pasta.) Season to taste, and serve immediately, with parmesan if you like.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/27/2011 7:15 pm

Seen on the Today show with a Moroccan Lamb stew recipe. Yet another way to use cauliflower as a substitute for grains and bread. See the Better Breads thread for how to use in place of pizza dough, bread sticks, bread crumbs, etc.

Recipe: Cauliflower 'couscous'

Ben Ford

Ingredients

* 2 tablespoon olive oil

* 2 teaspoon cumin seeds

* 2 teaspoon ground turmeric

* 1 large yellow onions, diced

* 3 garlic cloves, chopped

* 3 whole cauliflower, shaved (see below, save stalks, they make a good soup)

* 2 sweet red peppers, roasted and diced

* 2 JalapeAo pepper, roasted and diced

* 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts

* 1 tablespoon mint, finely sliced

* 1 tablespoon basil, finely sliced

* 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped

* 1 tablespoon butter to finish.

* Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste

* * Regular cooked couscous can be substituted for the cauliflower

Preparation

Shave the cauliflower florets with a knife into couscous size 'grains.' or use a food processor to get a consistent size that resembles couscous, the grain.

Heat the oil in a large skillet.

Add the spices and gently heat until the mustard seeds pop.

Add the onion and garlic and let them soften.

Add the cauliflower and diced peppers to the onion.

Cover and allow to steam until tender a 5 minutes or so.

Finish with butter, mint, basil, parsley, kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/08/2011 12:22 pm

Several shake/smoothie recipes from Marks Daily Apple. Acutally, there's 5.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/5-sweet-savory-primal-shakes/

Some are berry and greens like our green smoothies. Some are cocoa/coconut. And some are savory rather than sweet.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/08/2011 12:34 pm

Creamy Broccoli Soup with no cream, no dairy, no can of mushroom soup!!! The little bit of oats makes it creamy.

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 medium onion, diced

1 garlic clove, minced

Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)

6 cups chicken or vegetable broth

1 large head broccoli, florets chopped and stems peeled and chopped

1/4 cup rolled oats

Salt and pepper

METHOD:

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and red pepper. Cook until onions are translucent, about 8 minutes. Add broth, broccoli, and oats. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until broccoli is tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Use an immersion blender to puree the soup, or transfer in batches to a blender and puree.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/08/2011 12:56 pm

Broccoli steamed in flavorful water.

From Food Network show 10 Dollars or less. It's not clear in the instructions below, but she used a whole head, stalks and all. Peel the lower stalk where the skin is tough. Trim the end, and then cut length wise in about 1/2 inch or so thick slices.

Ingredients

* 1 head broccoli

* 1/4 cup water

* 1 tablespoon olive oil

* 1 clove garlic, minced

* 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Trim the woody skin off the broccoli stem and slice the broccoli into nice long "trees". In a large saucepan, mix the water, olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the broccoli and cover to steam. After 3 minutes, turn off the heat, and allow the broccoli to sit for another couple of minutes. Toss to coat and serve.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/01/2011 5:43 pm

Sofrito butter sauce and Red Snapper

Sofrito is the base of many sauces in places like Spain, Portugal and Puerto Rico. Usually finely chopped onion, garlic, tomatoes and/or bell peppers. This is famous French Chef Eric Ripert's version for which I'm sure you'll find many uses, such as the snapper below.

# For the sofrito butter and sauce:

# 2 tablespoons canola oil

# 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and sliced

# 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced

# 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and sliced, optional

# 1/2 small onion, peeled and sliced

# 4 tablespoons softened unsalted butter

# 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro

For the sofrito butter, sweat red bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic and onion together in the canola oil until soft. Place the soft peppers in a blender and puree with the softened butter and cilantro. Remove from the blender and reserve.

# For the snapper:

# 4 (7-ounce) snapper fillets

# Fine sea salt and freshly ground white pepper

Thoroughly season the snapper fillets on both sides with salt and pepper and place them in the baking dish; brush the top of the fillets with the sofrito butter and add enough water to cover the bottom of the baking dish. Put the baking dish in the oven and cook the fish until a metal skewer can be easily inserted into the fish and, when left in for 5 seconds, feels warm when touched to the lip, about 8 to 10 minutes.

For a sauce to serve with the fish:

# 1/2 cup chicken stock

# Fine sea salt and freshly ground white pepper

While the fish is cooking, make a sauce by bringing the chicken stock to a boil and whisking in the remaining sofrito butter. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.

1/4 cup Lime juice was in the list of ingredients and mentioned on the air, but I don't know what you use it for other as seasoning for the fish and to brighten up the flavor of the sofrito. But just squeeze a wedge or too.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41787450/ns/today-food/

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/01/2011 5:45 pm

Kale & Potato Hash

* 8 cups torn kale leaves, (about 1/2 large bunch; see Tip)

* 2 tablespoons horseradish

* 1 medium shallot, minced

* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

* 1/4 teaspoon salt

* 2 cups cooked shredded potatoes, (Use sweet potatoes!!!!!

* 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1. Place kale in a large microwave-safe bowl, cover and microwave until wilted, about 3 minutes. Drain, cool slightly, and finely chop. (or wilt by sauteing in the pan you are going to cook the potatoes in)

2. Meanwhile, mix horseradish, shallot, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Add the chopped kale and potatoes; stir to combine.

3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the kale mixture, spread into an even layer and cook, stirring every 3 to 4 minutes and returning the mixture to an even layer, until the potatoes begin to turn golden brown and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes total.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/02/2011 9:37 pm

Cauliflower coconut 'Rice'

* 3 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil

* 1 onion, finely chopped

* 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped

* 1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut (you can run coconut flakes in the food processor to shred it)

* 1/2 cup coconut milk

* 1 head of cauliflower, grated or finely chopped

* Juice of one lime

* 4 green onions, thinly sliced

* Sea salt to taste

Instructions:

Mix together 3 tablespoons of olive oil plus salt and curry powder. Rub all over the outside of the kangaroo loins.

Warm 3 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes, then add the shredded coconut. Continue to sautA until the coconut is nicely browned.

Add the coconut milk and cauliflower and mix well. Reduce heat to medium, cover with a lid and cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower reaches desired texture.

Add the lime juice and green onions. Mix well then add sea salt to taste.