Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LadyWillow

Almay Smart Shade Foundation or Revlon Colorstay "Active Light Makeup"

I use everyday minerals and I like it but it accentuates my dry skin and I just started birth control, benzoyl peroxide, and differin, and my skin is very dry and flaky.

Moisture isn't the problem I just am thinking that I want light coverage, a natural look and not too expensive.

I am considering Almay Smart Shade Foundation or Revlon Colorstay "Active Light Makeup". If you have used either please reply!

there were a lot of reviews on makeupalley that said they had trouble matching the color with the almay. I'm very pale and I don't want to look orangey or too dark

I use the lightest shade, I'm not particularly pale or pasty, but I am a white girl. ;)

I use the lightest shade most of the year, and often move to the middle shade in the summertime once I've gotten some sun.

The easiest way I've found to apply it is to squirt a tiny bit into the palm of my hand, then rub my hands together to activate it, then apply it with both hands, rather than dot it on the skin and blend in.

I want medium coverage for now, when my skin is better I won't wear much makeup - just when I go out. I am really trying not to wear makeup often because even if it is noncomedogenic you can still see the powder in your pores after you wash it off. I am looking for something simple, harmless, and effective.

I think Almay Smart Shade could be a good choice because it has worked for you, Brandy, and other people, but I'm not sure how much it would cover.

My skin tone as of now is pale with blotchiness in the cheeks and chin. I would just kind of want that evened out. I've tried Clinique's moisture sheer tint and I'm not sure if it broke me out, it is too dark and it doesnt cover very well. I just don't like it.

i'm just like you, i don't want to be wearing make-up unless i'm going out. i've tried a few things, and my personal fav for now is mixing my physicians formula mineral make-up with my neutrogena healthy skin moisturizer (after having already moisturized my skin with the same stuffand letting that sink in). this way i get too choose how much coverage i'm getting and its waaay cheaper than buying tinted moisturizer! hope that helps :)

I'm not a makeup expert, but when my face became uneven (which it is still now) I resorted to using foundation as well as other makeup products. I have used both foundations you have listed. I bought the Colorstay Active Foundation because I work at a retail store and every Wednesday we unload our supply truck. I originally bought this foundation because it was sweatproof and it was long-lasting (perfect for unloading the truck because there is no AC or cold air in the back room of the store :confused: ). The foundation worked, but the shade I picked out didn't match (my own error). However, throughout the rest of the day, this foundation made my face feel really greasy! So now i only use it on Wednesdays for the truck.

I now use the Almay foundation, which I like better than the Revlon. However, the almay didn't really even out my skin tone and only gave me light coverage (which wasn't what I really wanted). Plus, just as duchamp mentioned, I tried using it on my arm, because I get inflammed bumps on there (and only my left arm! Its rather odd...). THe foundation was the same shade...So now I am looking into trying something new like a tinted moisturizer (you might like using this too. It's light and moisturizing, plus it has a nice tint!). So, if you had to choose between the two, I'd say try Almay. I too am on Differin, and sometimes certain spots of my skin get really dry and flaky and the Almay won't really blend with it, so beware! Trial and error has been the best method for me on applying and choosing my makeup (even though I'm a guy :D). Good luck on your makeup hunt! :D

did you use almay smart shade, raimundo, or a different one?

also, I am looking at the almay website at liquid foundations there are two smart shades, a foundation called Pure Blends - which looks decent? idn, clear complexion, tlc (truly lasting color), almay nearly naked, land smoothing liquid.

are any of these better than smart shade?

Sorry I didn't see the reply! I guess they don't leave any messages when you reply to something in a messageboard.

Yes, I've used Almay Smart Shade (I use the Light shade, but I want to switch to a lighter color, but I found out there is none). The foundation itself is more better than the Revlon Active foundation on my skin, but could be different for you. But then again, some days my face looks nice and even-toned, while sometimes it still is uneven or red (but that could be due to how I washed/moisturized my face, since I'm sensitive skinned). The almay smart shade concealer is great though and is my favorite concealer! It's never really caked much (unless I put to many "layers" on a blemish or scar) and stays on nice. I use the light shade of concealer as well.

The smart shade of Almay was the first one I've used, but not the first I've heard of. I searched the others on drugstore.com's website, so here we go:

The Pureblends is suppose to be like the Smart Shade, but it has natural ingredients (because every cosmetic/skin company just HAS to have natural ingredients now...) I've never used it before, but I've seen it at Walgreens where I first bought my Almay Smart Shade, but it was more spendy I think so I choose the Smart Shade.

The Almay Clear Complexion is a foundation that has an acne-fighting Salicylic acid (0.5 percent). I can't really use this since I'm using Differin gel, and salicyclic acid can irritate my skin (there is a list of products that could irritate your skin while using Differin, which has helped me out alot).

The TLC foundation is a long lasting foundation (TLC stands for Truly Lasting Color). I think this makeup was made to compete with the Revlon Colorstay (alot of other people post that foundation alot...maybe look into that). It also says it lasts long in heat and humidity so it would be great for summertime fun.

Overall, all these foundations sound okay to try/use. Dan posted a video about makeup and said that Almay was a good makeup company because they made makeup that was okay for acne-prone skin types (check his video blog). My smart shade has never made me really breakout (if it did, it must not now because I've been using it for about two or three months now). However, sometimes I don't get the coverage I need from it, which makes me always wonder if there is something else I could be using. So if you are really interested in the Smart Shade or any of the other foundations give it a try! To me, Your own opinion ican be better than someone else's. Good luck!

yeah i saw that video thats why i was asking about smart shade.

I looked at reviews on makeup alley and the pure blends got bad reviews for acne prone skin.

Could you send me the list of things you cant use while on Differin? I didn't know you couldn't use salicylic acid. I use that on the spots where I broke out and they seem to be going away

This was the origianl link where I found the list:

http://www.acne.org/prescription.php?view=Adapalene

But now I guess the link has been removed...But salicylic acid, sulfur, and even lime were on the list...But I googled what no to use while on differin and I got this:

http://www.drugs.com/differin.html

"Do not use skin products that contain alpha hydroxy or glycolic acid while you are also using Differin.

Avoid using skin products that can cause irritation, such as harsh soaps, shampoos, or skin cleansers, hair coloring or permanent chemicals, hair removers or waxes, or skin products with alcohol, spices, astringents, or lime. Do not use other medication skin products unless your doctor has told you to."

Salicylic acid is considered an alpha hydroxy acid (I think...). But I still use sulfur (DDF sulfur) while using Differin, and it hasn't really broke me out (just made some areas dry and flaky). But I never use Benzoyl Peroxide (bad combo for me...). And I don't really like using salicylic acid...so I wouldn't really know for sure if that doesn't work. Spot treatment sounds okay, but maybe its using alot of salicylic acid (like a cleanser, moisturizer, and treatment) which could irriate your skin.

Salicylic acid is considered an alpha hydroxy acid (I think...).

I just wanted to clarify that salicylic acid is a beta hydroxy acid. It's the only beta hydroxy acid.

Thanks. Yeah i know sa is a bha and i have dans aha. I put the AHA on in the morning too. My derm said that was fine. I will prob buy smart shade to wear at camp. Edm is hard to apply quickly and i hate the puff jar