Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dogcatmouse567

I love chemical peels, but now im scared...

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but since everyone is using them, I figured I would start a topic. Has anyone heard of the hayflick limit (if not its all over google)? Apparently while we are trying to make our skin look nice now and getting good results, we are consequently causing our skin to age faster. I have been using apple cider vinegar as a chemical peel for almost a year, and now I'm afraid to touch the stuff. Could someone validate whether this is true, or hopefully prove that i'm foolish and that it's nothing to be worried about? Thanks in advance

Hey, sorry this may be a bit off topic but how exactly do you use apple cider vinegar as a chemical peel and what does it do for your scars? I've never done a chemical peel or used apple cider vinegar but I saw a big bottle of it in our house and i have seen ACV thrown around a lot around here.

Thanks

yeah, interesting topic. How has the cider vinegar worked for you? Was it for scars or red marks or both? Depressed scars? Rolling? Box? Icepick? What percentage of improvement would you say you have gotten ( you said you have gotten good results) ? What type of cider vinegar did you use? (brand, percentage, etc.) Please let everyone know.

Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid (more or less 5%), which is more acidic than most over the counter cosmetic products that i have seen. There are several ways you can use it, and once again, keep in mind that i myself am in the midst of questioning its safety. If you know how a chemical peel works, it works in pretty much the same fashion by destroying/exfoliating the outer layer of the skin. This is very beneficial for surface scars, but not so much for deeper atrophic type scars. You can dilute apple cider vinegar with regular tap water to create a toner or do what i do, which is to rub straight undiluted apple cider vinegar with a cotton ball for about a minute, then wash it off. All of my scars have seen a lot of improvement from the treatment, but some are still apparent...

I believe the constant use of any acidic product, be it a chemical peel or even AHA/BHA acid can hurt your skin very time. You shouldn't be using chemicals on your skin all the time, let it do its own thing. If the problem doesn't go away without using a lot of chemicals then you're better off looking else where for a solution to your troubles. Think about it, you're using an acid to shed skin layers that may not be ready, you're exposing the more vulnerable layers underneath to airborne bacteria and sun damage, so it's not natural at all. Sure if you always have flaky skin it may not hurt to peel from time to time, but if your skin is not well hydrated it could also mean that you're not drinking enough water, which is internal problem and not an external issue. I see women in their late 40s with shiny foreheads that are obvious signs of over exfoliating and use of acidic products used to temporarily plump the skin through chemical reactions, I don't think it's healthy. Over time it probably thins out the skin a lot and create more lines and wrinkles too.

I use a couple of drops of organic apple cider vinegar with a little water and Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay as a mask about once a week. Does a great job for tightening pores and lightening red marks. But I have only been doing it once a week over the past 6 years. I have not noticed any signs that this is causing premature aging...

Guest missyjean130

Over usage can damage your skin,depending on the concentration you either use a peel once a week,month,every few months,etc.

Apple cider vinegar should be diluted for most people if it's used daily,others can tolerate pure acv. So another factor is your own skin. I myself use a 50/50 concentration.

One thing about chemical peels and premature aging is that peeling your skin DOES make your skin more sensitive to the sun, which is why people need to wear some type of sun protection.

So if your making your face red frequently from peels,you're obviously going way overboard.

I'm going to start using chemical peels myself, and I'm starting with a very low concentration of salicylic acid. It's important to let your skin adapt very slowly to it. It's a 10% concentration and the directions say it's safe to use twice a week. However,even if my face doesn't get red upon the first application I'm only going to use it once a week. If my face is red,I'll do it once a month...if my face gets light pink,I'll use it bi weekly.

So make sure you start with low doses,don't use it frequently,and wear sun protection!

Girls are so obsessed with tanning and it's summer so people like to play out in the sun,but everyone needs to be responsible...especially if their on certain acne products or are treating scarring. The suns rays are weakest before 10am and after 4pm. baseball caps don't protect your face well from the sun.Seek shade when you can. Wear a mineral sunblock(zinc and titanium dioxide). If you do end up wearing a chemical sunscreen make sure you reapply when the bottle says. The sun's rays degrade those types of sunscreens. If you use mineral the sunblock can still absorb a bit into your skin so you may need to only reapply it once after a few hours.

You can also check the UV forecast in your area at http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/uvindex.html

I read about the hayflick limit but I don't really understand how it applies to our skin? I think most acne products cause the skin to age faster, and also while using them the fine lines get worse.

I personally felt like bp had aged my skin but when I stopped using it and started moisturising like mad and oil cleansing my reasons for worry melted away.

Howeveer I use glycolic acid at the moment and the fine lines have never been worse at this point!! Also the skin between my eyebrows, where I've used the most glycolic acid, has completely changed, if you poke it it stays dented for way longer than it should, it's kind of like play dough, rather than skin. Totally disrupted the elasticity. But my skin is at its clearest. The fine lines really show up in pictures especially next to my friends who don't have any. So I think I will continue using my glycolic acid (AVOIDING the eye area) until my skin clears completely, and then use them maybe once a week. I go for peels at the salon so hopefully that should be enough to maintain.

Another thing is I haven't been using any sun protection mainly caus I don't have any and don't want to add another cream into my routine so maybe that contributed.

If you want to know if your skin has aged you need to make sure it is fully hydrated first.

if chemical peels can age you,

then why do people get them to help treat wrinkles?

I have gotten 4 of them by now, and if anything my skin

is looking younger.

this is interesting, but our cells are doing mitosis all the time. Skin, and gastrointestinal tract, for example have a turn over every month (less than that actually). So, doing peels will not be significative compared to your life time "shorting your telomere" I guess.

Anything acidic on your skin used very frequently is bad.

you will definitely exfoliate your skin, but used frequently you will cause your skin to be sun sensitive and very prone to damage. You will compromise the natural defense system of your skin

Some very useful tips in these and other videos done by this person.

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules that you agreed to when you signed up here. *

Guest Timehealsall

hmm just curious, but could using apple cider vinegar on your skin everyday for 3 weeks, can this cause permanent damage? I used it about 4 months ago on my whole face (someone told me it would get rid of acne, stupid me, i believed them). I used braggs apple cider vinegar with mother (undiluted). The thing is, when i put it on my face, i did not feel any burning sensation or even see any redness. I only felt it on my forehead, and i stopped applying it there after a week ( i broke out). So could using ACVM for 3-4 weeks have caused permanent damage to my skin?

Can Apple cider vinegar cause scars on your skin? Can it make you more prone to scarring? Also, could it have made it so that your skin will scar from most pimples in the future?

hmm just curious, but could using apple cider vinegar on your skin everyday for 3 weeks, can this cause permanent damage? I used it about 4 months ago on my whole face (someone told me it would get rid of acne, stupid me, i believed them). I used braggs apple cider vinegar with mother (undiluted). The thing is, when i put it on my face, i did not feel any burning sensation or even see any redness. I only felt it on my forehead, and i stopped applying it there after a week ( i broke out). So could using ACVM for 3-4 weeks have caused permanent damage to my skin?

Can Apple cider vinegar cause scars on your skin? Can it make you more prone to scarring? Also, could it have made it so that your skin will scar from most pimples in the future?

No. Relax.......

Anything acidic on your skin used very frequently is bad.

you will definitely exfoliate your skin, but used frequently you will cause your skin to be sun sensitive and very prone to damage. You will compromise the natural defense system of your skin

Some very useful tips in these and other videos done by this person.

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules that you agreed to when you signed up here. *

Spammer, you're wrong. The skin itself is acidic.

Garlic is The cheapest chemical peel available in ur home !

i used it for my face scars and also on my back

i had some light depressed acne scars on my back it worked on it and also on my face

it depends upon how many times u apply layers of garlic c juice to get A light deep or medium peel

but u have to take care after ur peel no sun exposure no rubbing of the flakes after a chemical peel

i have seen results after one and a half moths on my face the scars are well merged now (on my face)

gives me improved skin texture

i had some light depressed acne scars on my back it worked on it and also on my face

it depends upon how many times u apply layers of garlic c juice to get A light deep or medium peel

but u have to take care after ur peel no sun exposure no rubbing of the flakes after a chemical peel

i have seen results after one and a half moths on my face the scars are well merged now (on my face)