Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hose3cu

Do doctors make you feel like a number???

Do you sometimes feel that you are just a number when you walk into your doctor's office? Maybe I experience this because I live in New York City and the sheer number of people makes it difficult for doctors to be personable and compassionate - but, this past year, I've been to many different doctors, and I don't think any of them really gave a damn about my well being, or what I was feeling at that time.

The first dermatologist I visited for acne had me in and out of his office within 5 minutes. He took a quick look at my acne and prescribed me Solodyn and Clindamycin. He never asked about my acne history, he never asked about my reactions towards medication, and he never warned me of the possible side effects of minocyclines. I tried to ask him about the possible side effects, and he only told me about stomach aches, which could be remedied by taking the pill with food. That was it. He never told me that I needed to take the pill sitting up, with a lots and lots of water. He never told me that solodyn was a time released pill that should not be taken if broken. He never told me that it could cause ulcers and even lupus.

When I started experiencing rashes on my face almost immediately after taking the medication, he told me that it was most likely the cold weather and that applying lotion daily should solve the problem. To me, it doesn't take a medical degree to conclude that the rashes were caused by the medication, especially since I NEVER had them before. Yet, I still followed the doctors orders. When the rashes continued, I set up an appointment for the doctor to look at it. I tried to explain to him that it started when i took the medication and it just gets worse, but he quickly cut me off and prescibed me desonide lotion - of course, I should continue the previous medications as well. I was in and out of his office in 5 minutes. (after waiting for 30 minutes!) I can't even get a word in with this guy!.

Anyway, when I started having breathing issues, I asked the doctor if I'm having an allergic reaction - Of course the doctor immediately said that I probably was not experiencing an allergic reaction from the medicine. If it was an allergic reaction, I would have rashes all over my body, not just my face. And as for the breathing problem, he didn't know what it was caused by. He assured me that it was definitely NOT the medicine, but he still told me to stop taking it.

I decided to see another dermatologist - but I had a similar experience. I tried to tell him all about my experience with solodyn and warn him about my sensitivity with minocyclines, but he didn't want to hear it. He cut me off and prescribed me doxycyline, differin, and benzaclin. This time around I was smarter - I was going to listen to myself and respond to my body. I wasn't going to wait for the doctors orders. But of course, I still wanted to hear what they had to say. When I started using differen and benzaclin, the rashes around my nose worsened and I also started to get rashes on my neck. I asked the doctor about them and tried to share my experiences with different, but he snapped at me, saying "Do you want to cure your acne or not? If you do, then continue taking the medicine I told you". That's when I stopped taking the medication, and of course, the dry skin subsided. My neck is fine, but I still have rashes around my nose, buts its not as bad.

Based on my experiences, its seems the doctors that I visited didn't give a damn about my acne or me. Everytime I tried to explain a new side effect, they were quick to cut me off and assured me that it definitely wasn't caused by the medication. They would prescribe me medicine and told me to come back in 5 weeks - How can you send someone off for 4 weeks with solodyn without monitoring how he / she is feeling? While many people don't have any major side effects, there are people who do experience harsh reactions!

Ehh - it just seems that the doctors are only concerned with getting you in and out of the office as fast as they can. I understand that some patients MAY be dramatic, but I still think its worth listening too.

I can understand your frustration. Same thing here when I went to my derm. He literally prescribed me and all my sisters/friends the exact same thing for our acne: clindamycin + antibiotics. Big whoop. He didn't ask about my history either, and it's kind of weird that he prescribes a 14 (back when I was that age haha) yr. old female with mild acne the same thing as a 25 yr old male with severe acne. I mean, is that the ONLY thing they know about?

BUT I see it this way: If your dermatologist really wanted to have long, emotional talks with his patients, he/she would've became a psychiatrist.

If he wanted to be more personal and compassionate, he prob would've became a family doctor.

You get my point.

I'm sure most people don't wake up one morning and think "I want my life career to involve looking at people's zits and then talking to them about allll their problems!" It's more of a career for them, and career = money, money = lots of patients, which means they want to squeeze in as many patients as they can in a given hour.

the doctor who gave me accutane was actually pretty nice and i didn't feel like i was being rushed in and out

dont see him anymore because its too far away tho

Yeah I definetely felt this way when seeing my derm. My derm would prescribe me with something, have me comeback after a couple months, and then prescribe me something else. It seemed like she just had a list of products and picked one randomly everytime I went in for an appt. It did not seem personal or thoughtful. I was in and out after five minutes or less. Hopefully I never have to see that woman again unless its non-acne related.

I experienced the same type of treatment you described when I was on my HMO insurance. However, since I've switched to a PPO insurance, I think the new doctors I have have been nicer. Of course, changing doctors imply that I'll probably get someone with a totally different (nicer) personality--but PPO doctors do receive more money from their patients.

My family and I have been observing different treatment from our doctors since the insurance change--most of them only accept PPO insurance, so I think they go the extra mile of being nice in exchange for higher payment. I think this just illustrates a flaw in our healthcare system :redface: That's just my take on it, it might be your insurance!