Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is something that annoys me. When people say some short sentence like "Get out of yourself" as if that's supposed to be the miracle cure for a condition that has ravaged your self confidence for years. As if simply the force of their order would make it so. That's what I hate. Because after having acne for so long, I just want some form of control. And then people, especially people who have never had a spot of acne in their life, come up to me and say something blunt as if they were going to *force* me to "get over it". It's not as if I don't want to get over it, but I'm tired of dismissal. It takes away any semblance of control I had. It's not as if I forced my condition on them, it's not as if I blabbed to them. I've only ever confided about my acne to a few people, and even then some of them would dismiss me. It made me feel incredibly vunerable and stupid. So now I don't confide in anyone. I just wish there would be someone who understood. Like I read what people write here, and it's just like acceptance. There's not a lot of judging involved. Just having someone share something brief about how they've experienced the same thing. Not telling you what to do, or how to be, or how to feel. No forceful one liners. Just being there. That is most encouraging thing I have ever come across.

On this site, you can unleash all inhibition and just write what is on your mind without fear of being judged (well, sometimes). Instead, you will receive replies saying, "Yeah, I've been in that same situation. And it sucked."

I agree that the org is a unique place, and sometimes it's hard to find others who relate. But in all honesty, that is true of any self-confidence worry. Very few people are completely happy with their appearance, it is a uphill battle for most.

The greatest lesson that can be learned from this place, in my opinion, is that self-perception is key. Yes, maybe acne has ravaged both your skin and your self-confidence for years...but you let that happen. You made a conscious decision to let acne affect you. Because if you think about it, are you not the exact same person you were before getting acne? It is your perception that changed.

I honestly understand that it is difficult to love yourself, especially when you feel afflicted by such a problem. But what if you were to not care? Do you think others would go out of their way to make you feel bad about yourself?

I think not. I am not oblivious to the fact that there are very rude individuals out there who WILL make you feel like complete dirt over your acne, but believe it or not, they are few and far between. Acne is simply a part of you, it is not the entirety of you.

It's not easy to change your mindset or self-perception, it is actually one of the hardest things to do. But by taking little steps, it can be done. And you will find life much better because of it. =)

Basically. The majority thinks you can just snap out of it. And wow, you're in the best place if you need acceptance. Most of us have the story memorized by now. This is the perfect spot for sharing and receiving support. If you participate here, it means you're willing to stick it out with the members here until they're strong enough to move on.