Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Derek Antonio85

Need advice (TCA Peel)

Hi,

Okay so I'll be doing my second TCA Peel some time next week and I was wondering would it be safe to go from 12.5% to 18% or either 21%. When I did my first peel about 2 weeks ago I was able to apply 4 layers, I didn't frost but it was sort of painful so I only added 4 layers.

I want to jump to either 18% or 21% because with the 12.5% TCA I didn't see results, just a tad but nothing big. I'm leaning towards 21% but before I order it I was wondering would it be safe to jump to 21%, as 12.5% didn't really do too much for my skin.

The Obagi Blue Peel has appros 24-30% TCA, so the closer you get to 20%, the deeper the peel goes, and the longer it takes to heal. For me, the Blue Peel (when they apply 3 layers), takes about 5-7 days to completely peel.

I have done MANY, MANY TCA peels and salicylic acid peels, and slowly each one does remove layers of skin that will help scars appear to be smaller. A peel always makes me feel better because it's fresh, new, even toned skin. HOWEVER, the deeper you go, ultimately will not affect certain scarring like ice pick scars. So you need to be very careful, and not think deeper is always better! I don't think more than 4 layers is a good idea!

Good luck, and please be careful. If you do have ice pick scars, you can research and do TCA cross on them, I've had good luck with that!

The Obagi Blue Peel has appros 24-30% TCA, so the closer you get to 20%, the deeper the peel goes, and the longer it takes to heal. For me, the Blue Peel (when they apply 3 layers), takes about 5-7 days to completely peel.

I have done MANY, MANY TCA peels and salicylic acid peels, and slowly each one does remove layers of skin that will help scars appear to be smaller. A peel always makes me feel better because it's fresh, new, even toned skin. HOWEVER, the deeper you go, ultimately will not affect certain scarring like ice pick scars. So you need to be very careful, and not think deeper is always better! I don't think more than 4 layers is a good idea!

Good luck, and please be careful. If you do have ice pick scars, you can research and do TCA cross on them, I've had good luck with that!

Well I have ice pick scars on my cheeks and some other type of scars that's scattered everywhere from acne because of my mom picking at them years ago. What exactly is TCA cross? I want to try it if it helps diminish scars. I think I'll just go with the 21% TCA. I also have uneven skin tone, discoloration, brown and red marks. Would a glycolic Peel work? If it helps, I have light skin. I'm open to any suggestions.

my advice is:

DO NOT TAKE OFF THE SCABS. LET THEM FALL.

even when you pull them and they come easily, can occur "lines" of scarring.

srlsy. got scarred with a 20%TCA + glicolic 50% doing this :(

so this is my advice :D

Well I have ice pick scars on my cheeks and some other type of scars that's scattered everywhere from acne because of my mom picking at them years ago. What exactly is TCA cross? I want to try it if it helps diminish scars. I think I'll just go with the 21% TCA. I also have uneven skin tone, discoloration, brown and red marks. Would a glycolic Peel work? If it helps, I have light skin. I'm open to any suggestions.

Do a board search on TCA CROSS. Also use any search engine of your choice.

Contact the manufacturer of your product for specific questions regarding the peel product you've purchased. pH varies GREATLY amongst manufacturers and can significantly affect the depth of the peel. One company's 20% may not peel as deeply as another company's 20%. One company's 12.5% may peel more than another company's 20%. ASK for pH information and read all the warnings.

Thank you guys for the advice. Do any of you know a good bleaching cream? I use Hydroquinone but it doesn't work. It cleared me up perfectly back in 03, then I stopped using it and finally went back to the derm in 08 and ever since it hasn't worked. Why might that be?

Ugh, I don't know what to do. I'm losing hope. I really don't think these peels are going to work but I'm going to try one more and see what happens.

Alpha-Arbutin is superior to hydroquinone

Go to a manipulation pharmacy and ask for it

What i'm using right know to prepare my skin for laser (and did for peels) is:

Alpha-Arbutin 3%

AA2G 2%

Alpha-Bisabolol 1%

Alpha-Arbutin is superior to hydroquinone

Go to a manipulation pharmacy and ask for it

What i'm using right know to prepare my skin for laser (and did for peels) is:

Alpha-Arbutin 3%

AA2G 2%

Alpha-Bisabolol 1%

How long have you been using Alpha-Arbutin? and is it working for you?

I don't use everyday

Only 2 weeks before any treatment, to prevent hyperpigmentation. (I'm skin type I, so don't need more time)

Any bleaching topical takes time to show results, if you wanna get rid of red marks, for example. But for red marks, really, what works are peels.

Arbutin + AA2G(vitamin C) both help to reduce melanin production, so it's a good combination.

I would like to add what I have researched.

Apparently, 8% and 12.5% is for beginners to TCA peels (not beginners to peels in general. If it is the 1st peel, they suggest Lactic.) When you first do the lower percentages, it may or may not have immediate results. The first couple of peels are supposed to get the gunk out so that subsequent peels actually start to rid you of scars.

Up to 18% is fine, but after that, the TCA gets to be a "deep" peel. Which means it penetrates more layers. If you don't know how to control it, you could end up with serious burning and/or scarring.

I suggest using the 12.5% a couple more times (be mindful you only use the TCA once a month to allow your skin to regenerate new skin). Maybe 2 more times and add one more layer. So the next time do 5 layers, and if that's comfy, do 6 the last time. Only then would I get the 18%.

Of course this would be a great idea for me, too, but I was deemed a skin type IV on one and VI on another. So I don't think I'll be getting the TCA until I have done the Salicylic and Lactic.

I would like to add what I have researched.

Apparently, 8% and 12.5% is for beginners to TCA peels (not beginners to peels in general. If it is the 1st peel, they suggest Lactic.) When you first do the lower percentages, it may or may not have immediate results. The first couple of peels are supposed to get the gunk out so that subsequent peels actually start to rid you of scars.

Up to 18% is fine, but after that, the TCA gets to be a "deep" peel. Which means it penetrates more layers. If you don't know how to control it, you could end up with serious burning and/or scarring.

I suggest using the 12.5% a couple more times (be mindful you only use the TCA once a month to allow your skin to regenerate new skin). Maybe 2 more times and add one more layer. So the next time do 5 layers, and if that's comfy, do 6 the last time. Only then would I get the 18%.

Of course this would be a great idea for me, too, but I was deemed a skin type IV on one and VI on another. So I don't think I'll be getting the TCA until I have done the Salicylic and Lactic.

Thanks very informative. I guess that explains why I haven't seen results yet. Do you get your products from Makeup Artist? Your skin is similar to mine but I also have ice picked scars on my cheeks. I may try the Lactic Peel. Do you have experience using the Skin Bleaching Gel that Makeup Artist sells? It looks promising from what I read and after seeing one of the customers before and after photo.