Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Poomba

Hyperthyroid Regimen (Copper + B-Complex + More)

Hi everyone,

I've been a lurker for the past couple of years. I had my acne under control last year, but this year it has just gone from moderate to severe. I've had moderate to severe acne since I was in high school, and I'm a 26 year old male right now. Like most of you, I tried a lot of things, and nothing really worked in preventing acne. Some of these things did help in healing the acne I popped, but in the long-run they just dried up my skin, and did absolutely nothing to prevent new spots.. that to me, is a sickening, horrid combination..

I also tried extreme things such as washing only with bottled (filtered) water, mega-dosing on fish oil, not exercising (so no sweating), sleeping everyday at 9:30 PM, jojoba oil/tea tree oil, but none of these things worked.

So I decided to start from scratch. What is the 1 thing we know about acne?

That it's caused by genetics and an hormonal imbalance of some sort. Yes, some of us get acne due to external conditions such as sleeping on dirty pillows, but focusing on stuff like that ain't gonna help any of us, will it? It's mostly due to hormonal imbalances, whether it's extra androgen production, or extra estrogen, or thyroid imbalances.

I also realized that rarely do health symptoms appear in isolation. Acne doesn't appear randomly, in isolation. And sure enough, when I was honest with myself, and wrote down the other health symptoms I had, I noticed a pattern. I also suffer from:

- frequent bowel movements ( I sometimes have as many as 4 a day!)

- I have a very fast metabolism and it's hard to gain weight at all.

- I have very few muscle mass.

- I sweat very easily.

- I often have a dry throat, with lots of phlegm. I often have to clear my throat a lot.

I also looked at what other symptoms my family members had, and noticed that one of my relatives was diagnosed with thyroid imbalances a few years ago.

Then it struck me.. maybe I had hyperthyroidism! I did some research online, and sure enough the symptoms matched ones I had. Hyperthyroidism, for those who don't know is when the thyroid gland is too overactive, causing high metabolism, easy to lose weight/hard to gain weight, fatigue, sweating easily, fast heart rate, and an imbalance in hormones.

How can an imbalance in your thyroid cause acne? Well, there are many factors:

- An overactive thyroid can lead to little estrogen. Too little estrogen can lead to too much testosterone, since the 2 work to balance each other out.

- Less estrogen + More testosterone = more sebum production

- An overactive thyroid is linked to less aromatase, which is an enzyme which converts testosterone to estrogen.

- Thyroid hormone receptors have been shown to have an inhibitory effect on retinoic acid. Retinoic acid lowers sebum production.

The main part is that a thyroid imbalance can lead to an imbalance in your androgen/estrogen levels, which is what probably leads to acne in my case. I need to see an endocrinologist to make absolutely sure that my thyroid levels are imbalanced, but based on my symptoms + family history, I have very little doubt that this is the cause of my acne.

So what I am doing now? Well, I am doing the following:

Supplements:

1) Copper 6 mg/day - to suppress thyroid function so it produces less thyroid hormones, and more estrogen

2) Boron 6 mg/day - to produce more estrogen and support thyroid functions

3) Selenium 200 mcg/day - thyroid health

4) B-Vitamin Complex with Biotin and PALA - to help metabolize copper.

5) Fish Oil - 3 a day

Lifestyle:

1) Exercising like a diabetic: Aerobic + Bodybuilding

2) Eating meat sparingly

3) Consuming some fats (olive oil, nuts) after a sugary meal. This is in case insulin resistance is something that I have.

4) Relaxing/Acceptance - I need to accept the fact that maybe there are just some things we can't control. That's fine, we should not strive to be someone else, just be ourselves. =)

External:

1) Carley's Clear & Smooth - I tried this early in the year, and it did limit the damage. But it doesn't cure my acne, so I know if my skin clears up, it's not 100% due to this.

Yes, i know, who the heck supplements with copper? boron? but based on this site: ithyroid.com, it seems that copper, especially is the main deficiency of hyperthyroid people.

So for everyone out there, I suggest you look at what OTHER symptoms you have, and maybe connecting the dots together to see what is the root cause of your acne? Maybe it might be an imbalance in your thyroid glands, or adrenal... or food intolerances/sensitivities. I highly believe acne is not random, and it's probably 1 of many signs that something is outta whack with our bodies.. I mean its definitely not normal to have acne.

This is day 1 of my regimen.. and I'll continue updating this as long as I can. Let's hope this works! ^_^

Day 1:

No new spots!

I also noticed I just had 1 bowel movement in a day, which is a huge accomplishment for me.

Let's hope this continues..

Nice post! I am interested to see what this does. It really doesn't seem like much that you are doing, but I have no idea, the amounts just seem a little small.

Yup, I am starting slow and gradually upping the dose as I go along. I think overdosing on fish oil is safe, and perhaps the B-Vitamins. The rest are minerals, which can be toxic if overdosed.

Day 2: One new cyst in forehead, I popped it this morning hehe.

Enjoy the fourth of July folks! Forget about your acne for a few days and enjoy the fireworks! :surprised:

I have many symptoms of an abnormal thyroid (like sweating constantly, etc.) but I have had it checked twice about 1-2 years apart and it was in the normal range.

I'd be careful taking 6mg of copper daily. You already get copper from other places such as your drinking water.

I have many symptoms of an abnormal thyroid (like sweating constantly, etc.) but I have had it checked twice about 1-2 years apart and it was in the normal range.

I'd be careful taking 6mg of copper daily. You already get copper from other places such as your drinking water.

Drinking water, as in tap water? I don't drink tap water at all.

Day 2 and Day 3:

1 new cyst and a smaller one.

iherb.com

get the bugleweed tincture the one with Lemonbalm in it

Google bugleweed its the best for hyper

You could always go the Radioactive Iodine route also

So, you just 'think' you have hyperthyroidism? You don't know for sure unless you get tested. Go get tested.

Day 4:

1 new pimple.

Cysts from previous days are disappearing.

I will get tested, but am running this regimen for at least a couple of weeks just to see if the acne gets better. I don't intend to do this long-term, except for possibly the fish oil.

In the end, I know my digestive system can't take so many supplements at once, so I'm gonna have to cut short this regimen sooner than later.

I've seen many prescibe taking copper and others saying to take zinc; however, the key thing to take away from this is 'balance'. The copper-zinc ratio is crucial...

This is an excellent article to get everyone started: http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases...-imbalance.html

Vegetarians and those who drink a lot of tap water that runs through copper piping should especially be concerned with this topic. I also believe that acne sufferers can take something away from this.

-Cleric

I have hyperthyroidism and I'm 98% sure it's what caused and is causing my acne. I got sick at the same time I started to break out for the first time. Hyperthyroidism doesn't seem to respond to usual acne treatments.:( Don't assume that you have it, go get tested. I was sick for a long time before I was diagnosed (I went to the doctor for acne and he spotted a goiter on my neck).

I have hyperthyroidism and I'm 98% sure it's what caused and is causing my acne. I got sick at the same time I started to break out for the first time. Hyperthyroidism doesn't seem to respond to usual acne treatments.:( Don't assume that you have it, go get tested. I was sick for a long time before I was diagnosed (I went to the doctor for acne and he spotted a goiter on my neck).

How do you get the hyperthyroid test done exactly?

Ive been looking at doing it but not sure how to go about... I have no insurance & havent been to a doctor in yeaaaaaaaaaaars

Hi Poomba,

I have the same problem as you. Event though it is not guarantied a direct link between Acne and hyperthyroidism, I strongly believe there is a some kind of link. Because when I eat some foods like Prawns, Cuttlefish both the body temperature and acne aggravate. And when drinking cow milk, beer, coconut water both goes down. So I'm Strongly believing hyperthyroidism as the reason to my Acne.

So far i have done nothing to cure hyperthyroidism. And I'm willing to meet a doctor very soon. So can you do a little favor to me? how is your acne now after treating to hyperthyroidism? Do you think I'm on track to cure my acne?

Please reply me, Thanks a lot.