Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
1awesome

22 year old, male. Acne around shaving area.

So I've been coming to this site for something like two years now and I have not really made one of these posts. I am just asking for advice because I hate acne and maybe someone can help me figure this stuff out.

I'm a 22-year-old male. I have had acne for about four years now. Don't ask me why, but I never had any problems back in high school. Most of my acne is around where I shave. I sometimes decide to shave the small hairs I get between my eyebrows, but every time I do that I get acne there. Something I have noticed throughout the years is that acne develops where my beard is not really very thick yet. Near my sideburns I never get acne. I have noticed my acne has slightly moved to the area where my beard is developing. I have no idea what this means. Maybe the hair is not thick enough to penetrate the skin. Also, most of the acne I get around this area seems to be from ingrown hairs.

My dietary intake is pretty good. I am a vegan, but I try to make sure I get all my vitamins. I have only been vegan for two years, but if anything it has helped my acne. My only real problem is sleep. I sleep randomly and do not care much for it. I will work on sleeping more regularly.

I have tried pretty much everything. My mom used to give me all sorts of chemicals (she used to professionally do facials) to put on my face, but after I decided to become a vegan hippie, I decided I did not like putting all that stuff on my face.

One thing that did work for me very well is the BP-SA Clean and Clear mix that I found on this website. I decided to stop that as the BP was bleaching everything and I decided I did not like how BP created free radicals.

I've tried all sorts of products. Mostly from things I have seen on this website. Dr. Bonner's soaps, which someone here told me about, cleared up all my bacne. Seriously, try the stuff it worked well for me! It did however, not work well on my face so I just use it as shower soap for the rest of my body.

I have done a lot of research and tried toners into my regimen, but they always seen to break me out, even non-cosmogenic ones.

Here is what I am currently doing which works well, but I still get at least 3 red bumps and a few white heads every week:

Morning: Wash face with Desert Essence face wash, pad dry with a special face towel I have that I change every three days or so, put on tea tree oil / jojoba oil / vitamin E oil (tea tree oil is about 1/5 to 1/4 of mixture) as moisturizer.

Night: Shower using Dr. Bonner's soap (not face), wash face with Desert Essence face wash, shave in shower with Excell razor Dan talks about and Tom of Maine's shave cream, pad dry with face towel, put on tea tree oil / jojoba oil / vitamin E oil mixture.

Every day: Every day, I drink green tea and I try to take a couple of spoons of apple cider vinegar which I saw on here may help. I have not really noticed much difference from these two things, but I will continue because they are both good for you anyway.

My thinking behind my regimen is to be minimalistic. I will occasionally ice treat pimples, use my Zeno (which makes marks even more red... why do I use it?), and/or sometimes an Asprin mask.

So enough about me, what about you? How are you doing? :)

Anyway, anybody have any suggestions for me? My acne seriously stresses me out (I try to not let it, but we all know how it is).

Thanks in advanced guys!

Hi mate, I also get the same problem at 20 years old mate. I have gad acne for over 3 years and simply tried it all. Best to just stick with water and moisturize. Reason being I have come to the conclusion that the acne is caused by hormones, puberty and growth. So don't fight it, stay fit and when it passes it will all be good. Mine is bad and I say bad it really is I breakout a new spot most days but hey chin up and forget about it :)

Haha. Thanks for the support (good luck to you too!). I tried something I found on here that is basically just using water since I though adding all that bad stuff would just be causing more harm than good. I tried for a while after I quit BP, but my acne got even worst. At least if I put on tea tree oil I can control it more or less. I usually spot treat with ice, Zeno, or the Dessert Essence spot treatment thing.

I just think it is strange that I am one of the only people I know that still get pimples on a regular basis. I think I am too old to have all those hormone changes going through my body. The pimples are not even that bad; it is just those red spots that last at least a week.

Anyone in a similar situation have any success?

Hello,

I had the same problem. The lady I see who treats my Acne suggested I buy some rubbing alcohol and keep my razor sitting in glass of rubbing alcohol. This has worked wonders for me!

Thanks,

Joel Hart

Hello,

I had the same problem. The lady I see who treats my Acne suggested I buy some rubbing alcohol and keep my razor sitting in glass of rubbing alcohol. This has worked wonders for me!

Thanks,

Joel Hart

Wow, what a great idea! I will try this for sure!

Also, I have a different question. How often do you guys shave? I used to shave once a day, but have now started shaving every over day. No real difference...

Zeno did not work for me, I thought it would be a great fix but no much help.

What is reasoning behind razor sitting in rubbing alcohol all the time? I have never heard that?

I used to shave 2 a week, but needed to shave 3 times a week, so now ill shave like sunday night, then tues know it down with a beard trimmer for like a 2 day growth an I have only shaved once this week.

I knocked it down again last night with the conair trimmer set.

The reasoning I assume is to disinfect the blades. Bacteria can survive on metal for long periods of time so I guess keeping the blades in, or at least dipping them in alcohol before shaving, would help kill off any bacteria living on them.